Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THE ULTIMATE TALL RIDER THREAD! (6'4 and above)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 01:25 PM
SurfnRide
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default THE ULTIMATE TALL RIDER THREAD! (6'4 and above)

Been on the HD forum for a couple months now and I have utilized a TON of information that has helped me transform my 2006 Ultra Classic from a cramped/uncomfortable ride to almost pure bliss! (well it's getting there. Only a few things left...)

The one thing I've been noticing is a lot of comments about "this is good" or "best mod ever" but the details of the person commenting are minimal at best. Opinions are good but they don't help people implement them onto their bikes if they don't know what you ride and what your exact body type is.

Not to mention the money we've all wasted buying stuff that we thought sounded liek a good fit from reviews and then it turns out not to be.

So I'd like to propose creating a detailed break down of what us 6'4 and above riders do to make our bikes more comfortable and what our body shapes are.

I would LIKE to draw as much info from people who do LONG rides for multiple days. This way info about seats, bars, pegs, etc... are from people who have to deal with day after day bodily wear and tear where a small bit of change can make a huge difference on long rides.

So I'll start....

2006 Ultra Classic Electra Glide
Stock Seat, Bars and Footboards

6'7 230 lbs with broad shoulders and a 36 waist. (Athletic cut type suits I have to buy)
35 inch inseam
36 inch arms (from wrist, over outside/middle of shoulder to base of neck)
27 inch torso - Longer in the torso than the legs.
3/4 face HJC IS-33 XXL Helmet (Just putting this on here for helmet comparisons on wind buffeting and windshield selection)

Mods for comfort:

Removed lower fairings

Removed Heel Shifter

2 inch brake lever extenders from softbrake (have to have lower fairings removed to put 2 inch extenders on there)

2 inch shifter extender from Kuryakyn

1 inch footboard spacers from Harley Goodies

2 inch forward VT footboard extension kit (have to custom cut lower fairings or remove them for this if you have the lever extenders)

2.5 inch tour pak extender from kuryaken and adjustable passenger pegs (Mrs has to fit and be happy somehow. She's 4'11)

HD adjustable backrest (Yes I'm a puss. Too many years of rough sports and my back is wrecked after 200-300 miles without the backrest.)

Kuryakyn adjustabe long arm highway pegs (reversed and pushed out)

LRS 10 inch recurve windshield (12 inch stocker was right in my line of sight. 7 & 10 inch reg windshields gave major wind buffeting at freeway speeds. LRS is going on in a couple days so I will report back on the wind buffeting. Hoping that advertised 2-4 inches of wind lift puts me in the "sweet spot" while still being able to see over the edge over the shield. This has been a major issue for me. To the point where my vision is blurred out from headshake at freeway speeds with both the 7 and 10 inch reg shield.)

Scorpion Stinger Phantom Perforated Leather Jacket in XXLT. (Not a "biker" jacket" but it's comfy, quality, has flexible armor, priced good and perforated for So-Cal Summers PLUS it has a removable liner. Like it becuase it's not all gaudy like a rice rocket jacket. Matte black finish that is low pro. Best part is it is long enough in the torso and arms! If you're tall and lean then you'll understand the issue with jackets. They're either the right length and SUPER loose around the waist/torso or the waist/torso area fits right and the sleeves and length are way too short. This one fits everywhere and it's heavy duty leather that breathes well.)

Last two things still to do....

1st - 16 inch Apes. This is going to be huge. I've sat on a few with 14 or 16 inch bars and the pressure/pain in the upper back/lower neck dissapeared. I feel like I'm having to reach way to far forward and down with the stockers. After 50-60 miles I start to get a nice solid burn at that spot. By 150 miles it's a pretty solid pain. By 200-250 it's like a stake being driven down my spine. 300+ and I'm pretty much jacked. I'm ordering my apes soon and will report back on the change in comfort on long rides when I have them on.

2nd - Different seat. I don't want to go any taller. I can reach the ground easily and don't want my head any higher above the windshield. I want to be able to see over it and not get pummeled by the wind. I'm looking for a seat that will push me back and possibly down that is made for 2 up riding AND it can fit with the adjustable backrest. If anyone has suggestions let me know! From what I've read the Sundowner pushes you forward (hell no) and the HD tall boy pushes you an inch up (no thank you). Anything else?

Looking forward to seeing other tall guy mods and what size they are to compare it against!

Cheers!

Last edited by SurfnRide; 02-12-2013 at 04:46 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by SurfnRide:
6’10” (04-23-2020), kinggraybeard (04-14-2020), Sasquatch_VNV (12-13-2018), SeeJeepCrawl (09-14-2016), skypeace (12-25-2018), Tall Mike (05-15-2016), Vincent Alexander (09-22-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Bushpilot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 6-4, I ride a 2011 Street glide. I have changed out handle bars to 12 Monkey bars and seat was changed for C&C W/backrest which moved me down 3/4 and back 1 1/2 inches. This gave me more leg room and with the pullback of the bars it is very comfortable to ride. I had to change the windsheild to a 8 1/2" klockwerx which make the air go over top of head without buffeting. I have the 1' floorboard spacers with banana boards that are 19" for leg movement.

The following users liked this post:
Clay Rocker (05-24-2019)
Old 02-12-2013, 02:31 PM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 175 Likes on 125 Posts

Subscribed!
I am 6'6" with 36" inseam and 36" sleeve length. I definitely need the suggestions from other tall riders to help me get my '09 RKC to fit better.
I have changed the stock bars to Heritage bars and realized a great improvement in comfort. I also added the Harley Goodies extensions which basically made room for my size 13's. That and highway pegs seems to be plenty for my feet.

Being on a pretty tight budget, I am now shopping for a new seat. I have been told that the stock RKC seat is not capable of being modified to provide more room to the back. Has to do with the seat pan HD is using for the '08+ touring seats.
I am seriously considering a Tallboy seat and adding a pad (Road Zepplin maybe) to give myself more room and a more comfortable seat. Upside is the price is reasonable compared to many seat options and there have been quite a few folks on HDF that say this seat is great. Downside is the Tallboy does not come in RKC accent treatment and looks pretty plain. (I want to be able to use my HD backrest, btw, so I really need to stick with an HD seat.)
If I had the cash I would have done taller bars and the seat at the same time. Frankly, I am fairly comfortable with the current set up except for being a bit too close to the tank and my knees are even with the top of the tank. The stock seat is hell on my rear end after about 150 miles, so change is required. I just hope I haven't screwed myself with the bars being too short after trying the new seat. (Being able to use a demo at the dealership will answer that soon enough.)
I am extremely envious of guys who have their ride comfortable enough to go 8 or 10 hours in the saddle. Given how personal the fit is, continued experimenting is in my future.
As a tall guy, I accept that my bike will never fit like some folks. Of course, I have no problem being flat footed when stopped, so there is an upside!

The following users liked this post:
6’10” (04-23-2020)
Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 PM
2010FLHTCU
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in how your new windshield works out for you. I'm only 6'3, but would like to find a windshield that minimizes buffeting especially when the lowers are on.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:31 PM
SkunkX
Intermediate

This thread is going to be great. I'm 6'4" 250lbs and plan on having the cash to do some "comfort" mods this year.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 PM
weelbur2
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

6'4" here...2009 FLHTP...the redesigned chasis helps us tall riders, but, still there are items to be addressed.

I needed more leg room; Russell Day-Long rebuilt my stock police saddle, adding 2" in height...while making HD's most comfortable seat even more comfortable. Relief!

The stock 12" windscreen was too short. Uncontrollable buffeting beat me up. Solution? Clearview Shields 15.5" recurve shield was the ticket! The recurve moves the slipstream just above my helmet. No more buffeting, only good, neutral air in the cockpit.

Lastly, the stock handlebars were too short. Even rotated up to the maximum, they would cause stress to my shoulders and back. I agonized over which handlebar to purchase. I compared the specs on numerous bars for Electra Glides, but was still confused. I ordered a set through my dealership, but they didn't fit as promised. Luckily, my service writer suggested the HD mini-apes....they might work, and they are in stock. The only complaint with the mini-apes is the wrist angle, which for me, is "off" by a few degrees; otherwise, the height and reach are good.

These minor adjustments have made time in the saddle longer and more enjoyable. Long rides are "no problemo".

Last edited by weelbur2; 02-12-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:58 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm 6-9, 240lbs, 40X40 jeans, 39 sleeve, 44 in jacket. And my knuckels do not drag the ground, but close. Air ride cop seat, 16" apes, long swing out highway pegs, 1" board spacers, and 16inch wind shield, I make myself.

The following 2 users liked this post by glide2005:
6’10” (04-23-2020), South107 (03-23-2020)
Old 02-13-2013, 07:11 AM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 175 Likes on 125 Posts

Just a thought for this thread, and easier said than done I know...
Some pics of tall guys on their bikes would help understanding fitment of some of the mods. Glide2005, I would love to see a pic of the air ride cop seat, for example. I have no need for two up seating and have wondered if a solo would give me the leg room I need. (Will check out Russell)

Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 AM
HarleyDavidB1967
Novice

On my 99 Ultra, bought a new Tall Boy seat and Harley Tall Windshield ( 15" ).

I'm 6'4" ( 180 lbs ) and honestly didn't like the ride after installing both parts.
Noticeable change in the handling and balance of the bike !!

Sitting up that little bit higher on the bike changes the center of gravity enough to make a difference, also should have swapped out the handle bars for a better ride position ( something swept back and longer ).
Almost forgot to mention: the Harley Tall Boy seat was great for my wife, I sat higher up and she felt more comfortable not sitting above me as she did on the stock seat, ( She is 5'10" )

If I had done the bars and had time to take longer rides this may have worked out to be a great setup but I'm stuck with a 40 min. ride into work each day with the occasional weekend rides.

Sold the parts and now on my 03 Classic will work with the floor boards as my best compromise ?

Lastly I didn't like the look of the seat and windshield, it took away from the overall look of the bike.

Have to find pics of my bike with parts on it ??

Last edited by HarleyDavidB1967; 02-13-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:54 AM
BIGGINS88
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im 6' 10" 260lbs 38" waist and ride a 2010 ultra. The first thing I did was buy the reduced reach highway peg brackets with mini-floorboards from HD (put them on backwards), then tried the tallboy seat and didnt like it, so the stock seat went back on. Removed the heel shifter and thats all. Rode 35,000 miles this summer with no problems. In one trip rode 22hrs only stopping for fuel and food Indiana to Colorado. I wish Harley would build an oversized bike for bigger guys.

The following 2 users liked this post by BIGGINS88:
John with a road king (06-29-2020), Wes B (07-12-2021)

Quick Reply: THE ULTIMATE TALL RIDER THREAD! (6'4 and above)