Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard or reduced reach?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:25 AM
mnkymn
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard or reduced reach?

Just transitioned from a 2005 883XLC into a 2012 Road King Police. The air ride seat is too high for my comfort and I started looking at the seating options for my bike. As I have been riding around, I have noticed some upper back strain as well that as I search find could be from too much reach to the handle bars. I'm 6-00 feet 215 lbs with a 32 inch inseam. So, here are my questions:

1. Will going from an air ride with very low pressure to a standard seat lower me very much?
2. Will a standard seat put me any closer to the bars or should I look at the reduced reach set up?

Thanks in advance.

Tad

Old 04-07-2013, 12:34 PM
J_ULTRA
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mnkymn
Just transitioned from a 2005 883XLC into a 2012 Road King Police. The air ride seat is too high for my comfort and I started looking at the seating options for my bike. As I have been riding around, I have noticed some upper back strain as well that as I search find could be from too much reach to the handle bars. I'm 6-00 feet 215 lbs with a 32 inch inseam. So, here are my questions:
Originally Posted by mnkymn

1. Will going from an air ride with very low pressure to a standard seat lower me very much?
2. Will a standard seat put me any closer to the bars or should I look at the reduced reach set up?

Thanks in advance.

Tad
Probably not an exact answere for you. Ever considered some pull back handlebars? All I can advise regarding the seat is to demo some of Harley's seats. the dealer should have various assortment of harley demo seats. I think the police seat is supposed to sit you in a manner that promotes proper posture over many hours in the saddle thus reducing back fatigue. I notice that motor officers tend to sit very upright, rather than laid back positioning which is not possible with that seat. I changed from the stock Ultra seat to the Harley Hammock to get me out of the somewhat laid back positioning and get me off my tailbone. I'm now in a much more upright manner putting much of the weight distribution on my inner thighs. Plus I have a backrest for longer rides. Works for me.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Tedjay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another option is to move the bars closer to you rather than moving your seating position closer to the bars. Replacing the stock bars with the HD Heritage Style bars effectively moved the bars closer to me and solved the "sore back between the shoulders" issue I had with the stock bars.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:49 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I'm 5'8" with a 28" inseam. Just switched to a reach seat and I feel a bit crowded. I can get both feet flat on the ground but the controls seem to be too close. I'll probably have my Sundowner reworked and put it back on. I don't think the reach seat is going to help you.