Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scavenger Oil change device

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 06:56 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Scavenger Oil change device

Scavenger Oil Change Device? Anyone think this is best?

Looks cool but looking for real users?
Hap

Old 04-27-2013, 08:25 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Mine just arrived in the mail last night. Haven't used it yet but I figure it cant hurt getting all that old oil out. Some will say it doesn't matter which may very well be true. But having a "complete" change is in my opinion is the best way to go. My 2 cents worth anyways.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:29 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A REAL Scavenger user here:

I have used mine since I bought it in 2007. Used it on my FLSTF, and have always used it on my 2011 RKC.

Why run a dirty quart of oil through your clean oil and filter when you do a regular oil change?
My oil stays cleaner and I feel that with the scavenger, I do get a REAL oil change.

No regrets at all.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:40 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Been riding Harleys since 1974 and other bikes before that. If it pleases you to use a scavanger that's fine, but there really is no need IMHO. I can see no worth using one.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:23 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I have used mine for three years now. That advertisement is spot on. It is exactly as it is portrayed in the video. In my 96" I got out 28 ounces of old, dirty oil that would normally have been recycled with the new oil. And yes, the oil does stay fresher looking for a longer period of time, because it has not been mixed with the old, dark oil.

Now, there are plenty of people out there who look at this as just another gizmo that some guy is trying to sell. Most say they don't see the need for it. But, if you really want to keep clean, uncontaminated oil in your crankcase, you have to remove all the old oil out before you put in fresh oil. This is the only device I know of that will do that. Does it really add to the longevity of an engine? It would be hard to prove either way, so I don't have an opinion on that. But, to a non engineer type like myself, I think it probably does.
There is one thing that the video guy does not mention. This is kind of a messy procedure what with putting the drain plug in the bottom of the engine and hooking it all up and then unhooking it again. The whole Scavenger process probably adds about 15 minutes to the time it takes to change your oil and another 10 minutes or so to wipe all the drips and drops of oil from the garage floor and your clothes, shoes etc. But, if you enjoy this type of activity, so be it. Ride on!

Old 04-27-2013, 07:55 PM
RIDERED67
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hhhmmm. Rather interesting.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:17 PM
SunCruise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was surprised at just how much dirty oil was flushed through. Some claiming it would only be a couple/few ounces or so. I didn't measure...but sure looked like a 1/2 quart. Now if your one of those who run a 1/2 quart low (AC blow by) I'd say it cuts into your clean/dirty ratio considerably.

I don't mind the extra time or effort... no more than cleaning the WWW's or keeping a black bike shinny... just another part of the hobby. a labor of love. When ya think of all the mods and the thousands you can spend....what's $100 once, and another 10 min. when doing an oil changes.
SC

Old 04-27-2013, 08:22 PM
In2It
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been using mine for about 4 years and feel if you truly want to do a complete oil change this is the way to do it.Its impressive to check your oil a thousand miles later and it still clean.Im sold on the scavenger, for the results it doesn't add that much more time.