Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace VSS, vehichle speed sensor on a 2007 FLHTCU, Ultra classic, touring

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 08:26 PM
JAWS417
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace VSS, vehichle speed sensor on a 2007 FLHTCU, Ultra classic, touring

I recently had to change the VSS, Vehicle Speed Sensor on my 2007 FLHTCU. I spent hours looking in my service manual (Clymer, not HD) and on internet looking for info on how to do it instead of just guessing. all I could find was "it is on the top of the transmission under the starter" SO, I begin by removing the chrome covers on my transmission only to find that it is STILL not accessible. I was just about to give up and I had a brain storm...why don't I remove my right saddlebag and side cover and just see! well that's how easy it is. just remove the right saddlebag, pop off the right side cover, unplug the big electrical plug behind the side cover and you can get right to it. Blow the area with air to remove any dirt so it don't fall in when you remove the sensor, unplug the electrical connector on the sensor and remove one bolt (about a 9 or 10 mm) pull out the old sensor, it has an o ring on it so it's kinda hard to pull out (I used a small pair of pliers to get a grip on it) lubricate o ring on the new sensor, push it into the hole, (I always add thread lock) replace and tighten the bolt that holds it in place ( I don't know the torque spec on that but just be careful not to over tighten it and strip out the threads in the tranny) plug the electrical connector back onto the vss, Plug the big electrical plug under the side cover back in, snap side cover back on and replace the saddlebag and that's it. EASY job, only takes about 15 minutes (most of that is "feeling" to get the socket on the sensor bolt because ya can't see it very well with your hands in there.) Keep in mind, I am no Harley mechanic, just trying to help out, so if ya screw something up don't blame me! If ya don't think ya can handle it, take it to the shop and pay big bucks for a very simple task.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Amithai
3rd Gear

Nice Job congrats...pics will be welcome

Old 04-14-2020, 09:12 AM
Dcooper38
Stage III

Thanks for the info . I really didn't wont to pull starter . Going to try this this afternoon on my 2007 Electra glide

Old 04-14-2020, 01:04 PM
Pkman
Club Member
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

If I may ask - what were the symptoms you were having that led you to replace the VSS?

Old 04-14-2020, 01:21 PM
I Like Pie
Tourer
Received 130 Likes on 77 Posts

Why did you change it?

Old 04-14-2020, 02:03 PM
Dcooper38
Stage III

Originally Posted by Pkman
If I may ask - what were the symptoms you were having that led you to replace the VSS?
speedometer will drop to 0 going down the highway at first now it hardly ever works . No its dyeing when I pull up to a red light

Old 04-15-2020, 06:34 AM
Dcooper38
Stage III
Smile It Worked !

Thanks again for your suggestion on changing speed sensor . It was a tight fit but you were right . I didn't have to pull the starter . and it fixed the problem amazing how one sensor controls so many different things on bike ! speedometer working correctly bike engine not stalling out at red light 6 gear light coming on . And just running smother

Old 04-15-2020, 11:54 AM
bballkking1
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I was having trouble with my VSS while cruising down the interstate on my '02 RKC. My cruise control would cut out, the bike would jerk, and I would lose speed. Similar thing would happen without using the cruise control. A quick search of these forums gave me my solution. I pulled the sensor out of the top of the trans and cleaned off some metal shavings from the magnet. It is like a magnetic drain plug but it is on the top of the transmission, rather than the bottom of a pan or the bike. No problems in 2,000 miles since. 10 minute job.