Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with FLHTCUI Speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 01:09 PM
vschleyer
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with FLHTCUI Speed Sensor

New to list, with a 1998 ElectroGlide Ultra, and no speedometer signal. Both odometer and speedometer both don't move; cruise control inoperative. Shop manual says make sure power to speedo head, and I have that.
Next option for my electronic speedometer is the speed sensor. Problem is, my sensor mounting is different than the one shown in shop manual; mine is located in the chrome transmission cover. I can't get at the sensor with a wrench to pull it; is it easier to remove the starter for access, or should I remove the transmission cover and then remove the sensor?
I have 41,000 miles on this bike, and have not had many problems. This looks like an easy job, and I'd like to do it myself.
I saw elsewhere in the forum that removing the battery box may give me enough room to pull the sensor, and I'll check that tonight.
I'd rather not have to drain the primary case to get at the starter mounting bolts.
Thanks!