Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK Forum, I need help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 07:39 AM
mr396
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK Forum, I need help...

I was wanting to go for a ride yesterday. I went out turned the ignition switch on, and then clicked the run switch. The normal engine check light did NOT light on (for the 3-5 sec) nor did the fuel pump charging noise happen.

The engine will crank but obviously will not start. All the lights and everything else is on and normal. I had the bike on a tender and it was charged, I have recently replaced all the fuses and yesterday (after this issue) replaced the relays (in the fuse box). The battery is charged and only a year old.

Anything suggestions on what I should look at? Do you think it is the fuel pump or another relay someplace. I would have suspected if the fuel pump was out the check engine light would still have kicked on.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start by checking the fuses and compare with what the service manual says you should have. Everyone is subject to mistakes, and it might be that you made one. It might also be that one of the fuses is or went bad as soon as power went to it. Easy fix if you'll take the time to look.

Assuming you disconnected the battery ground before doing the fuses, you might also check that the ECM got plugged back in 100%....etc. checking fuses for proper placement, amp, and condition, plus checking connections is always a good first step.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Guitarman_sg
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 80 Posts

I would check the connection to your ecm, but also look at the wires on your run switch. If you use the car wash to wash your bike you probably have noticed that there is always water that runs out of the control boxes after the bike is seemingly dry. This can cause corrosion in the contacts. Just another thing to check.(speaking from experience)

Old 08-12-2013, 08:36 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 793 Likes on 352 Posts

Double check your work, but I'll just about bet my next paycheck that your run/off switch is the problem. This has been a problem for a number of years with HD's, and G-man is right. If you ever wash your bike, which we all do, then water could have seeped inside the control housing and could have jacked up the contact inside for the run/off switch. I have suffered this problem and found that the easiest solution is to just leave the switch in the run position and just use the ignition switch to turn on/off the bike, I've done this for about a year now, until.....?!!!
I'll actually be in my garage today fixing the exact same problem because now the bike won't cycle with the run switch in the run position. And if you chance riding and turn the bike off, and your far away from home, you could get stuck and thats not good.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:49 AM
mr396
Cruiser

I have rode my bike since I replaced the fuses, so I think I got them all correct.

Should I take the handlebar housing off on the right side and look at the Run switch? Should I just replace the run switch?

Unfortunately the HD is closed on Monday's.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mr396
I have rode my bike since I replaced the fuses, so I think I got them all correct.

Should I take the handlebar housing off on the right side and look at the Run switch? Should I just replace the run switch?

Unfortunately the HD is closed on Monday's.
Wait... you replaced the fuses before the problem but you haven't looked at them after the problem started? Not to be a smart ***, but I'm not sure of the logic...

Old 08-12-2013, 09:09 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Check the fuel pump fuse again. If it's OK, spray some contact cleaner in and around the run switch with the small red tube that comes with the spray. Rock the switch a few times after spraying and try again.

Why did you previously replace fuses and relays?...sounds like you did all that before you experienced the problem you present to us here.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:11 AM
mr396
Cruiser

Someone suggested that maybe I got the fuses in the wrong location. I was just commenting that I have rode the bike since I replaced the fuses and everything was working fine (a week ago). Went out yesterday and nothing.

Yesterday, I did pull the fuse cover and pull various fuses and checked them out as well. Everything looks fine.

I just removed the screws on the handlebar housing where the run switch is and looked at it. At least visually it looks OK.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:14 AM
seehogs
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Try switching the system relay
with the brake relay. I have seen
a couple of these $5 relays go bad.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:19 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

New(er) Bike? Try disconnecting the battery. Leave it set for about 10 minutes. Then reconnect. This will reboot the ECM/BCM.

Quick Reply: OK Forum, I need help...