Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Harley: Include a Homelink system in the future please

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default To Harley: Include a Homelink system in the future please

All the threads I see about garage door openers. All the cars I see coming with Homelink garage door openers in the last 10-15 years. How hard would it be to tastefully install a couple homelink buttons? I'd guess that a vast majority of the guys buying Touring bikes have garage doors. No?

Heck, even if you don't include it, b/c you want to make money off of us: Why not a Homelink accessory that can be incorporated into the fairing with just a little simple cutting/drilling? It would be much better than this horn thing. I'd use an existing Homelink made for cars, but I haven't found one yet with the right dimensions to lend itself to the task.

I found a solution for myself that will only work on Ultra's, and will only work for Ultra riders that don't use the PTT function. I wired the PTT button to a garage door opener inside my batwing. Even still though, I'd like to be apple to control more than one garage door and Homelink systems always control 3. I have two garage doors and I'd like to set my parents garage door up as well.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:51 AM
SgtK
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But if they do that, they couldn't sell you the overpriced flash2pass!

Old 09-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SgtK
But if they do that, they couldn't sell you the overpriced flash2pass!
Two responses:

1.→Harley doesn't make "flash2pass", so they don't make any money off of that anyway.

2.→Part of my post recognized them wanting to make money on us purchasing accessories, and thus suggested they design/market a Homelink system made to install seamlessly into our fairings.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:32 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

1.) I really don't wanna a collection of "features" each of which adds to the cost of the bike.

2.) the garage door opener as outlined in the DIY mods sticky can be done for about $10 in parts.

If you want a single switch ( or light flash or horn honk), can be made to trigger an infinite number of garage door transmitters- as many as you can fit on the bike

Ever since thieves were blasting RF to open garage doors and gain entry to homes, I do not use a garage door opener...I use my arms

H-D keeps deleting "base"* models from the line up and adding geegaws- and the price just goes up without mechanical innovations- and in the long run, H-D takes itself farther from the market- and H-D is not exactly making strides among younger riders- so a not hugely positive future ( Shareholder)

"tech stuff" is obsoleted very early in the vehicles life

Mike

*FLHT, FLHTC, FLHS etc

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-17-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by mkguitar
If you want a single switch ( or light flash or horn honk), can be made to trigger an infinite number of garage door transmitters- as many as you can fit on the bike
Thanks Mike, I should've thought of that. I can definitely wire a second transmitter set for my parents garage. I likely will. Doesn't help with my two garage doors though unless I want to always open both garage doors at the same time.

Yes, I'm also aware of the other cheap and very well done mods that will work on bikes from all the Harley lines. I still like the idea of a Homelink system intended for our bikes though. Whether it be factory or an accesory I guess doesn't matter to me. I was thinking factory b/c I think most guys that can afford a Touring bike have a garage, so it would be of use to a majority of the buyers.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:36 PM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is a cheap door opener that can be used on any bike or garage door.