Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:32 AM
mtinner
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary oil change question

I want to change the primary oil in my 2004 Road King. It will be the first time that I change it myself and I was wondering if I could just do that by only taking off the inspection cover instead of the derby cover. I don't need to adjust the clutch, so I have no reason for taking the derby cover off other than to put new oil in. Any advice out there? Thanks

Old 10-24-2013, 10:39 AM
speeddaddy
Tourer
Received 495 Likes on 153 Posts

The reason to remove the derby cover is to visually check the oil level. If your confident in just adding the recommended amount without seeing the level is correct, you don't have to remove it.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:40 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mtinner
I want to change the primary oil in my 2004 Road King. It will be the first time that I change it myself and I was wondering if I could just do that by only taking off the inspection cover instead of the derby cover. I don't need to adjust the clutch, so I have no reason for taking the derby cover off other than to put new oil in. Any advice out there? Thanks

Since this is your first change yourself (just bought the bike, or just started doing oil changes), open the derby up and fill per the manual to see your oil level. Then you're golden for future changes as the volume will not vary significantly. Then go for it. drain from the drain bung and fill where you mentioned. make sure to put in the amount that you normally fill it to.

fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, thats how I do it, fill thru the inspection cover

jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes,thats the best way. While you are there check the tension on the primary chain. Im sure you have the manual that will give you the hot and cold specs.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:01 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

Only takes 2 minutes to take off the derby cover as long as someone before you hasn't cranked the bolts down so hard that you strip the heads.

Use a 27 torx driver and carefully remove the bolts.
You will then be able to see the fluid level.

Just barely snug the bolts down when putting the cover back on, no need to make them killer tight, cause you'll strip the heads next time.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:12 AM
mtinner
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies.
One of the reasons I didn't want to take the derby cover off was to save me a trip to the dealer for a new gasket if needed.
Thanks again.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Birdman2778
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

The gasket is cheap. Its easy to take off and put back on. Plus you get to take a look inside and see how it all looks in there. You would only save a few mins if you didnt remove it anyway.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

There is no other way to fill the primary and/or check the level - you HAVE to remove the derby cover.
The gasket is reusable until it starts to leak. I always keep a new one on the wall for that reason. I get mine from a local independent shop (cheaper and just as good).

Old 10-24-2013, 12:12 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
There is no other way to fill the primary and/or check the level - you HAVE to remove the derby cover.
The gasket is reusable until it starts to leak. I always keep a new one on the wall for that reason. I get mine from a local independent shop (cheaper and just as good).
I think he has an 88, and yes only the inspection cover needs to be removed. I wish the 96 and newer engines still had inspection covers.

Beary

Quick Reply: Primary oil change question