Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated grip install gone wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 02:38 AM
BigDaddyTX
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated grip install gone wrong!

I attempted to install my heated grips the other day. Was going fine until the throttle sensor removal.

The instructions started to gently pull the sensor until you see the black sheathing protecting the wiring.

I pulled and pulled some more and to my horror out came my whole sensor and the wiring pigtail with it!

I'm not sure about other models but the touring models sensor assembly is about a 3-5" metal tube with a 4-5" wire pig tail coming off.

The instructions show a much shorter sensor and it stays intact! There is supposed to be some slack on the wiring allowing you to expose the wires after the sensor to tap into the wires for power for the right grip.

They were wrong. No slack on the touring model. I was screwed! Found out after tearing it all down that during building it some ****tard zip tied the cable slack to the bars at the factory.

I dug around on this forum and found a few posts on replacing/ swapping bars and dealing with the sensor so I found out I needed to remove my fairing and the radio to get to the other end of the twist sensor wiring to reconnect it it's apparently a very sensitive connector and I might have damaged it but I might have a chance to save it at this point I decided if I'd known I'd have to disassemble the freaking dash of my 1 month old Street Glide to put on grips I'd have paid the shop to do it. But I proceeded to take apart my dash, get my wiring fixed, finish my grips, get everything put back together.

Guess what? You're right! Dead f@&$ing throttle! It's toast.

My bike is now in the shop. Because of bad instructions. I'm now going to have to call HD customer service and lodge a complaint to see of they'll cover under warranty.

Also want to mention the horrible instructions for the special wiring harness additional piece the 14 needs. No mention of what color wires match up with what colors. Have fun blowing fuses! Of course common sense tells you red to red, black to black. But really? Leave that to chance?

All the jap bikes I've wrenched over the last 20 years have had meticulous instructions. No detail left out. Like say, disassemble fairing, remove radio and relieve slack before pulling on sensor.

It is now very obvious HD does not want me wrenching on my bike. Also obvious to "do not trust the instructions, verify!"

Old 02-02-2014, 02:50 AM
WILDWOOD_1124
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that! I know the feeling myself! I wont do anything on mine without watching a video of someone else doing it first. youtube has helped me a lot.