Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:15 AM
flht2009
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter issue

heres the story I have 2009 flht
started the bike up sunday seemed to struggle like it does sometimes. like the starter just doesn't have enough power. still has the original battery in it. but was on a tender. rode about 20 miles shut it off. 10 min later went to start and it really struggled. I mean very hard starting to the point I jumped it to get it going. took it back home and shut it off. 5 min later started up fine no problems whasoever. shut it off and started it about 5 times right after it, with no problem. let it run in the driveway for a few minutes and the starter just engaged itself while running. turn in off, now whenever the main switch was turned on and the ignition switch was on it would start by itself with out hitting the start button. I switch the starter relay with the brake relay and It seemed to fixit self with the starting on its own and the drive engaging. let run for a few minutes and the drive engaged by itself while running again with the relay switched out. I plan getting a new battery just don't want tospend all the dough on a starter if I don't need.
thanks

Old 04-01-2014, 09:02 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do a load test on the battery 1st

Old 04-01-2014, 12:30 PM
bmes1982
4th Gear

I had a problem with my compensator as well, I heard it was a big problem on the 2007 bikes, when I would go to start the bike it almost sounded like the starter was going to fall off, you could maybe check that too.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:56 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Battery, replace it.

My Dad has a 09 Ultra and it has always been a slow cranker and would kick back time to time. Of course when new and covered by warranty he had it all checked out and it was fine and this is "normal".
Just last November he decided that even though the battery is still testing good he was replacing. Guess what ?? Every issue with slow cranking, starter kick back and such is gone.
We just figure his factory battery was low on the cranking amps or not as powerful as it was supposed to be.
He rides almost every day and probably starts and stops the bike 6-8 times a day. That is a lot of starting !! Bike has 70k.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:04 PM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flht2009
heres the story I have 2009 flht
started the bike up sunday seemed to struggle like it does sometimes. like the starter just doesn't have enough power. still has the original battery in it. but was on a tender. rode about 20 miles shut it off. 10 min later went to start and it really struggled. I mean very hard starting to the point I jumped it to get it going. took it back home and shut it off. 5 min later started up fine no problems whasoever. shut it off and started it about 5 times right after it, with no problem. let it run in the driveway for a few minutes and the starter just engaged itself while running. turn in off, now whenever the main switch was turned on and the ignition switch was on it would start by itself with out hitting the start button. I switch the starter relay with the brake relay and It seemed to fixit self with the starting on its own and the drive engaging. let run for a few minutes and the drive engaged by itself while running again with the relay switched out. I plan getting a new battery just don't want tospend all the dough on a starter if I don't need.
thanks
If the starter engages on its own while the bike is running, the problem is with your starter button and run-stop switch. They are sold as sets and have to be replaced together. This is a totally separate issue than with your battery power itself.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:11 PM
JerryS63
Cruiser

2009 Model and original battery! Living on borrowed time spend the $100 at Battery Mart and save the anguish coming of dead battery at the wrong time!

Old 04-01-2014, 01:43 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

...and to jump a battery, results in your charging system straining full out not only run the bike, but trying to charge a battery that won't take a charge.
( this is like dragging an anchor around)
and can damage the charging system.

a $100 problem becomes a $600 problem

so:

take the battery out

charge it with a battery charger (not tender) overnight, then load test it at autozone.

while it is out check your cables are tight at BOTH ends and that they are not corroded

if battery checks out good, then you may have a bad charging system easy diagnostics checks in the manual or threads on forums

mike

Old 04-02-2014, 06:46 AM
flht2009
Advanced

thanks for the input. will be purchasing a battery and new switches friday

Old 04-02-2014, 06:50 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 941 Posts

Buy a new battery! Easy fix!

Old 04-02-2014, 06:52 AM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted
Battery, replace it.

My Dad has a 09 Ultra and it has always been a slow cranker and would kick back time to time. Of course when new and covered by warranty he had it all checked out and it was fine and this is "normal".
Just last November he decided that even though the battery is still testing good he was replacing. Guess what ?? Every issue with slow cranking, starter kick back and such is gone.
We just figure his factory battery was low on the cranking amps or not as powerful as it was supposed to be.
He rides almost every day and probably starts and stops the bike 6-8 times a day. That is a lot of starting !! Bike has 70k.
+1... Replace the Battery. I had the same problems, which went away after Battery replacement.

Quick Reply: starter issue