Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for NOT getting oil all over engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 01:03 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Tips for NOT getting oil all over engine?

Been doing my own maintenance forever. Oil/primary/tranny etc. I'm set up to the point where I am now starting to do this for others. In the past, I accepted oil spilling while removing the filter as a part of life. I bought on of these worthless things from HD...

Seems like if I even breath, it moves and allows more oil to spill than if I didn't use the damn thing. I was thinking of putting tin foil under it to keep any oil from getting on the engine when I change the oil for others. But, I'm sure there is some sort of old-school trick out there.

How do you guys keep from getting oil on the motor when pulling off the filter??

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2014, 01:08 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I stuff three or four microfiber rags under the filter. They catch 99% of the oil if I'm quick.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:09 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

I form a piece of aluminum foil under the filter up against the engine.

I've also split a 1 liter plastic soda bottle in half, that's basically what you have now with that funnel.

Another option os to hammer a screwdriver into the bottom of the filter and let it drain before removing.

No matter how careful I am, I always manage to drip some oil though.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:13 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Alum foil here too, real careful with placing it under the oil filter... but still get some leakage. It's just a terrible design.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:14 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

I use the HD Gizzmo, and it works great. Auto parts stores sell a flat rubber that you can form into whatever shape you want, would be a good option to check out.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:27 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just keep well stocked in aerosol brake cleaner when it's on sell. Change the filter and then hit the area with the brake cleaner and a shallow oil pan under the bike. I then hit it with the garden hose. Not that big of a deal every 3,000 miles.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:30 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Drill a 1/4" hole on the end of the filter near the bottom while using your HD filter drain thingy. That way most of the oil in the filter drains away before you take it off.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:31 PM
BlessedHellride
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Did that kit not come with a nail? I have a similar kit, not HD, that came with a nail and the instructions said to poke a hole or two in the bottom of the oil filter (outside surface) and let it drain before twisting it off. Have you tried that yet?

Old 04-02-2014, 01:42 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shooter5074
Drill a 1/4" hole on the end of the filter near the bottom while using your HD filter drain thingy. That way most of the oil in the filter drains away before you take it off.
Now THAT'S a good idea!! I'm going to try that along with my "wrap a microfiber towel around the filter while unscrewing". Less mess the better!

Old 04-02-2014, 01:47 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BlessedHellride
Did that kit not come with a nail? I have a similar kit, not HD, that came with a nail and the instructions said to poke a hole or two in the bottom of the oil filter (outside surface) and let it drain before twisting it off. Have you tried that yet?
No, the HD kit did not come with a nail. Good idea though...
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Tips for NOT getting oil all over engine?