Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLTCU instrument panel swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 05:15 PM
bigwalt
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLTCU instrument panel swap?

Has anyone swapped their old instrument panel out with one of the newer instrument panels? Looking for pics and ideas to get rid of the old instrument panel and going with a new one Im just not sure what I'm gonna do with all of the wiring and the connectors unless I route them into the fairing somehow. The old one is just out dated and ugly

Old 04-28-2014, 10:13 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

what's your idea of "old" and "new".

what year/model do you have as a starting point

mike

Old 04-28-2014, 10:40 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I've wondered that, too. I really like the outside look of the 2nd gen sharknose, but I'm not crazy about the inner on either of them. As far as the wiring and connectors, I'm thinking about throwing that crappy wire harness away and building new, with better connectors. It's getting stripped down to the frame anyway. My winter project turned into a summer project, and I didn't want to do that. I took off the radio/speaker module on top, and the switch panel on the tank (Ultra model), don't use that stuff and it's just extra weight and ugly to me. That wiring sure is a mess, though.

If you pull that fairing off, don't be surprised if you end up doing more than planned, these bikes are getting old. I'm doing a whole lot more than planned. Whole lot more money, too.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:33 AM
bigwalt
Novice

I want to swap my 95 tour glide instrument panel with a 2010 instrument panel off of a road glide.

Mine looks like yours right now. Its been stripped for several upgrades. Im keeping the tour pack per the wife but will only use it when we go on road trips. I couldn't believe all of the wiring and connectors they used . I had thought about just deleting all of the connectors completely just to clean it up.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

If you are serious about cleaning up your wiring, look into this wee beasty. As for your instrument panel, that sounds like a lot of grief, to replace something that works!

Old 04-29-2014, 10:56 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

speedo drive for one...you feel like swapping transmissions so you can go to a tranny speedo sensor rather than the cable driven off the front wheel?
Every electrical connector would have to be changed...

I'm with GR, it works.

A '95 FLTR will get more attention in a parking lot from experienced riders than a new model would.

( BTW I have a 85~95 speedo new in box somewhere in my pile )

2¢, mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 04-29-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:01 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
speedo drive for one...you feel like swapping transmissions so you can go to a tranny speedo sensor rather than the cable driven off the front wheel?
Every electrical connector would have to be changed...

I'm with GR, it works.

A '95 FLTR will get more attention in a parking lot from experienced riders than a new model would.
2¢, mike
I'm sticking with the cable driven; gonna be a lot less headache since I'm going to a smaller rear sprocket - that S&S 96 in it should have plenty of power for it, don't need a bagger drag racer. Long as I don't mess with the front wheel size, don't have to worry about gear ratios. I know, you can program the electrics, but I'm trying to stay old school on this one, just like I stay with carbs on everything. Stubborn old retired guy, that's me.

Most riders I come in contact with have shiny new bikes and just look confused if I say, "Tour Glide". Only had a couple older guys even notice the S&S in it. Guess if I want attention I need to put a 25" wheel in front and a fancy paint job. Like I'd ever do that...

Old 04-29-2014, 08:42 PM
bigwalt
Novice

It works but its just weathered real good. I may leave it but I wanted to do some checking anyway. Im already gonna have a chore ahead of me cause from my research and from what I'm told they dont make the stretched fenders and bags for it so I'm gonna have to make some changes to make it work.