Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5th gear chatter - need your opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 06:28 PM
Heavy D
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th gear chatter - need your opinions

2010 FLHTC - 24,000 miles Redline in tranny and Syn3 in the other holes.

I've read alot of posts about 5th gear noises. Mine has been noise free since I replaced the Inner Primary Bearing late last summer (1500 miles ago). While having the bearing job done, I opted for the SE Clutch Spring and SE Compensator.

Since the repairs, I have a strange chattering coming from the left side of the bike and seems like from my left foot area. The noise will only happen when the bike is well warmed up in 5th gear, and only when in 5th gear with cruise control set at about 60 mph - 27-2800 rpm, and only when slight load is placed on the driveline. While on cruise-control, if the noise starts chattering, it will immediate stop chattering when I apply some throttle.

Why, after having 22500 pleasurable miles with quiet cruising would such a chattering noise begin under low-load cruising situations? It was to be related to 5th gear, but it's the same 5th gear that was there before the repairs!!!

Please help.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:30 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

2010 has a differently cut 5th gear than all other years.

this is likely the cause of your concern. HD changed back to the 09 and earlier for 2011+, so your can't compare to bikes other than 2010

you can see that the 5th gear on the 2010 is helical cut, that makes for quieter operation, but 5th is less strong than a straight cut gear- and has more "side loading", torsional load placed on the shafts, cases and bearings.

I am guessing that in 5th, your tranny mainshaft is being pushed out of place

traditionally HD trannys the gear 2nd from top is straight cut- 2010 is the only one different that I know of.

useless trivia, but the Rider's Handbook for my 1953 reminds the Rider to use 4th gear for cruising and to always use 3rd to pass or go up a hill as 4th isn't strong enough

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 05-14-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:56 PM
Heavy D
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mkguitar

you can see that the 5th gear on the 2010 is helical cut, that makes for quieter operation, but 5th is less strong than a straight cut gear- and has more "side loading", torsional load placed on the shafts, cases and bearings

traditionally HD trannys the gear 2nd from top is straight cut- 2010 is the only one different that I know of.

useless trivia, but the Rider's Handbook for my 1953 reminds the Rider to use 4th gear for cruising and to always use 3rd to pass or go up a hill as 4th isn't strong enough

mike

Hey, thanks Mike. That's a great diagram, and I knew 2010 was different than 2009 and earlier trannies, but didn't know that in the 2011 and later models they went back to the 2009 model.

What I'm really struggling with is why the bike made absolutely no noise for the first 2500 miles, and now it just starts doing it.

I've read about drive-belt tension, rear IDS pulley, compensator bolt torque, primary chain tension, belt guard clearance - but can't get past the work that was done on the IPB, clutch spring and compensator.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:28 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

i can hear my compensator making a clacking sound and as soon as you give it alittle throttle it quites down.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:20 PM
Heavy D
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hardheaded
i can hear my compensator making a clacking sound and as soon as you give it alittle throttle it quites down.
Does it happen in all gears? My clacking is only in 5th under very light throttle.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:29 PM
RollieB
Cruiser

Do you still have the little rubber bumper on your kickstand?I lost mine awhile ago and it would rattle loudly every once in awhile.Only seemed to happen after the bike was warmed up and at a certain RPM.I thought I had primary issues before I realized what it really was.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:09 PM
Heavy D
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RollieB
Do you still have the little rubber bumper on your kickstand?I lost mine awhile ago and it would rattle loudly every once in awhile.Only seemed to happen after the bike was warmed up and at a certain RPM.I thought I had primary issues before I realized what it really was.
I checked that, and yes it is there. Another fella told me to check my belt tension, and it is probably is loose. I can almost turn it 90 degrees cold, or about an inch of freeplay. Too much I know, but still why only in 5th gear???

Old 05-15-2014, 08:35 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

I'm pretty sure 2010+ are all Helical Cut gears for 5th, not just 2010.

Two reasons:

1. It was not mentioned in the 2011 Technical Forum.
2. There is no longer 5 million daily posts about gear whine like there was in 07, 08, and 09.

OP, it's probably your Comp... Chattering is not gear whine. Whine sounds like a supercharger or bearing going bad.

lp

Last edited by lp; 05-15-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:32 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

Originally Posted by Heavy D
Does it happen in all gears? My clacking is only in 5th under very light throttle.
if i get it at the right speed in any gear i can make it clatter like crazy. junk compensator.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:46 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

I'd be checking the compensator out first, you more then likely do more cruising in fifth and that's why you only notice in fifth. I mean how often and for how long are you at 2700 rpm's in third.

Quick Reply: 5th gear chatter - need your opinions