Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

How difficult handlebar replacement on 2015 FLRT .

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 02:26 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default How difficult handlebar replacement on 2015 FLRT .

Just wondering how difficult it is to replace the handle bars on a freewheeler trike. I will probably have someone else do the wrenching as I have exactly zero hours of experience with changing out bars.

I know the new trikes have the can bus electrics and also the throttle by wire , linked brakes etc. Does all this new stuff make a handle bar replacement an expensive venture. Just looking for information from anyone who has already done this to the freewheeler trike. I am thinking about 14 inch bars . Not something too drastic but a couple more inches my wounded shoulders would love. I have tried adjusting the stock bars every which way and they are just too short for long rides.

Thanks for any info. you may have.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:34 PM
COFLHTK
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I would imagine it would be a LOT easier than a tri-glide since there is no fairing. And it took me 3 hours to replace me handlebars. This is the second time I've replaced bars, but the first was on a Fatboy.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:45 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Replaced many a set of bars. If you don't go more than 2" there should be enough slack in the cabling inside the bars. Clutch and break hoses may need extending. Going to Apes will require extending the wiring. Not hard, just tedious. Remember to stagger your solder joints.
Good Luck

Old 09-17-2016, 02:28 PM
greenguyshrek
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by screwball
Replaced many a set of bars. If you don't go more than 2" there should be enough slack in the cabling inside the bars. Clutch and break hoses may need extending. Going to Apes will require extending the wiring. Not hard, just tedious. Remember to stagger your solder joints.
Good Luck
I am in the process of installing apes on my uncles freewheeler, but I am having difficulty taking off his left controls off the handlebars. I don't want to mess with it too much and break something. Is ther some kind of trick? Any info would help
Thanks