Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

LCD Touch Screen

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 05:21 PM
Oilcan
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LCD Touch Screen

This probably isn't Tri Glide specific but since that's what I ride, I'll post it here. I went out and fired up my 2015 Tri Glide yesterday and my LCD Display went away. Seems that when I first turn on the ignition, the screen comes up as expected. But when I hit the starter and start the engine, the screen goes blank and stays that way. Even more interesting is that if I turn the bike off and then back on, the screen does not come back on. However, after it sets a few minutes, the screen comes back on when I turn on the ignition. But as before, when I hit the starter the screen goes blank again. When it is blank, all audio funtions are gone (i.e. if the radio is playing with just the ignition on and I hit the starter, the screen goes blank and the audio is gone).

Obviously a problem for the dealer since it's under warranty but just curious if anyone else has had this happen to them.

TIA

Old 01-21-2017, 05:35 PM
so60
Club Member
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Possible....?

Oilcan, I have not experienced this problem with my 16 Tri Glide, but I remembering seeing something on a forum months ago that seemed to indicate if you hit the crank button before the "Accept" screen comes up on the boom box, it can cause the radio to freeze. Again, I am not a HD tech and am just passing this on as an idea. I am sure someone else in this forum will have some experience with this also. I feel sure I have hit the crank before the Accept screen, but I generally wait for it. The "initial" load on the battery when you hit the crank button sometimes looks like it almost blanks the screen anyway. Makes it look like it turned off for just a quick split second. You might want to check your battery with a load tester also.

Last edited by so60; 01-21-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:35 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 389 Likes on 255 Posts

Sounds like it may be a voltage issue; either the system is drawing down and the unit isn't seeing the power, or it could be a connector issue, some resistance going on. But that doesn't explain it not coming back up once the alternator kicks in and starts charging. Charging system? Either way, it's definitely a dealer thing.

Oh, I start right off the bat and let the Accept thing time out. Doesn't seem to cause me any issues.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:09 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

I seldom wait for the "Accept" notification to do anything. As soon as my ignition is turned on I am cranking on starter.

If it was me, and I am just saying this because I hate going back to a dealer, I think I would slip my battery out and go have it tested. You wouldn't think a 2015 OEM battery would need replaced that soon but who knows.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:30 AM
so60
Club Member
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Default New Software Version.

Also, HD released released a new software version 1.20.3 a few days ago. It says it fixes a couple of problems with stuck radio and screens. It might be worth trying it.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:30 PM
Oilcan
Cruiser

Appreciate the comments. Like I said, it's still under warranty so I'll let the dealer take care of it but was curious if anyone else had had a like experience.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:49 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,544 Posts

check the battery cables for being tight first.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:00 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,961 Likes on 2,308 Posts

It sounds like a low battery.

This could be from the battery being bad, a poor connection, or since it does not come back on after started, possibly your charging system.

Since you are still under warranty, all of the above should be covered.

And yes, I had a similar experience when I inadvertently ran my battery down.

Of course, it could be something else entirely, but the above is most likely.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
HOGN IT (01-31-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 09:24 PM
Oilcan
Cruiser

With several comments pointing the battery, I'm thinking that may be the culprit. It's still good, but I did notice the last time I started the bike that it did not turn over strong and actually I wondered if it was going to crank it over. It did; it fired; and it ran but I didn't take it out to build it back up. I put a Battery Tender on it today so if and when it charges back up (it is charging), we'll see if that is what it is. No sense taking it to the dealer just to have them tell me I'm too dumb to keep my battery charged in winter. Yea, winter in Texas. Not usually a problem but we had some really freezing nights and days a few weeks back and the bike has just been setting. I'll let you know how it turns out. And again, thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:44 AM
Oilcan
Cruiser

Tada ........ all fixed. It was in fact a low battery causing the problem. Charged the battery over night and now the screen works as it should. Many thanks for the suggestions and the ultimate solution.

Quick Reply: LCD Touch Screen