VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

How many of you would be interested in a 6 speed if we made it.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 10:07 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts
Default How many of you would be interested in a 6 speed if we made it.

Keep in mind this would probably be about a $2500 gear set.Also for V-RODS it is about a $2500 job just to split the cases to get to the gear set for replacement.

Once we design it our gear maker will require us to at least purchase a 100 sets of these gears. So if this is something you would be interested in let us know and we may do it if we get enough requests.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:35 AM
usturbine
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mark

What kind of gear ratios are you looking at? I have tried the 28 and 30 tooth sprockets and like the 30 for cruising but would like the benefits of a 26 tooth in first. I have a road rod conversion and ride 2 up most of the time and if I don't pay attention and use the clutch to get going the bike will suddenly bog and stall sometimes if I don't feather clutch and keep the RPMS up! This has happened a few times especially at Rallies like Sturgis in stop and go traffic and is particularly bad if you are in a slow turn and have to stop clutch it to keep moving!! Don't ask how I know!!

Ideally in my opinion something that gives good off the line go with minimum clutch feathering, 2nd thru third around 3000-4000 in slow traffic 30-40 mph a 4th gear that will cruise in the 4000-5000 at 60-70 mph and a 5th that would keep you at around 4500 to 5500 cruising at 75-80 mph? Don't know if that's doable with just the 5 speed but if there is room for 6th kind of spread it out over the range?

I have a turbo on mine so exhaust noise is tolerable above 4000-5000 cruising at 70-75 mph but at 5500 and above 75+ mph when it was NA it was intolerable and required ear plugs? I do most of my riding for trips 1000-5000 miles so cruising and 1st gear take off is my priorities?

Yes I would be interested because already have you DD 6th speed in my Ultra but since the vrod bagger the Ultra pretty much is back to sidecar duty?

I have you posted this question on any of the other Vrod only forums?

Dennis Pierce

Old 12-29-2016, 03:44 PM
Banned

Dennis, that's the beauty of designing something from scratch is we can play with the ratios. Ideally what we would like to do is have good punch off the line and low cruising RPM's on the highway.
That being said it really boils down to what YOU the customer wants. We're listening so the more customer requests we get, the more likely we are to do it.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:01 PM
usturbine
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Dennis, that's the beauty of designing something from scratch is we can play with the ratios. Ideally what we would like to do is have good punch off the line and low cruising RPM's on the highway.
That being said it really boils down to what YOU the customer wants. We're listening so the more customer requests we get, the more likely we are to do it.
Well Mark I posted it on a couple Vrod forums I subscribe to and have gotten some comments and shares? Not sure it will be sufficient for Baker Drivetrain to move on it? Lots a people say build and they will come then only a few show up??

You and all at Baker Drivetrain have a Happy New Year and very prosperous and good health for all in 2017!!

Dennis

Old 01-03-2017, 04:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by usturbine
Well Mark I posted it on a couple Vrod forums I subscribe to and have gotten some comments and shares? Not sure it will be sufficient for Baker Drivetrain to move on it? Lots a people say build and they will come then only a few show up??

You and all at Baker Drivetrain have a Happy New Year and very prosperous and good health for all in 2017!!

Dennis
Happy New Year to you. Thanks for the posting and feedback.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:29 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I think that IF the ratio was right, it would be a pretty sweet addition to the V-Rod. I do find myself trying to grab another gear when cruising the freeway. Obviously, the gear ratio's would play a big part in whether or not people would be interested. I can't imagine what type of top speeds could be had with another gear. Currently, cruising at speeds of around 90 mph, it's just beginning to get it into the rpm's where the bike comes to life. i'm definitely subscribed....

Old 01-23-2017, 07:36 PM
Slandrew
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think my final drive ratio is about 4.88?I think a 6th gear on my ride may work?It would be for better top end speed .Also less RPM cruise?

Attached Thumbnails How many of you would be interested in a 6 speed if we made it.-part_1481849414456_1481849414621-2-.jpg  
Old 01-28-2017, 05:48 PM
Fast Iron
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the above sentiments: the ratios would have to be right for each gear, but I haven't checked on my VRSDCX since the last time it was tuned, really. When I hit 5th I am comfortable cruising at 75mph, hitting about 5.5 RPMs... but any more than that it's a pull of the throttle. We're a fast little riding club down here in Dallas, it takes awhile to get pretty much anywhere... and I've always admired the ease my friends have when we're hitting up the miles.