Sponsored by:

Some insight needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 02:04 PM
convertedrocket
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some insight needed

Well like I said in my previous post I got my first harley this winter. I have yet to really be able to ride it. From what I know from other bikes and my limited time on this one is that the stock handlebar location is not comfortable for me. I'm 6'1" and have long arms so id like to have handlebars that allow minimal bending at my elbows. That being said I have searched this site this morning (long enough where the wife threatened me to put the phone down) for ideas on how to select the right bar. I came up with nothing of any help. So im asking you guys how did you choose which bar will work for you short of sitting on bikes with different options?

Old 02-14-2016, 02:29 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,866 Likes on 1,222 Posts

You might not like the seating position either, maybe you want a seat that sets you back further, in which case your handle bar choice would be wrong. Comfort on these bikes is a very personal thing, needs to be worked out by you after you've ridden for a while.
Put down the phone, take your wife out to dinner, ride and decide in the Spring.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:33 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A lot of dealerships have a bike fitting station and various handle bar configurations that you can try out. Though they will likely be all HD bars, if you find one you like, you can get the measurements of those bars from the catalog and shop around on the internet for something that has the same measurements.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:53 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Decide on the rise ,width and pullback that you need to change from the stock bar,then find stock bar specs in catalog and then search for a bar that fits you.It usually takes a helper to get the proper measurements from stock bar to where you hands and arms are most comfortable.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:00 PM
convertedrocket
6th Gear

Originally Posted by GTK
Decide on the rise ,width and pullback that you need to change from the stock bar,then find stock bar specs in catalog and then search for a bar that fits you.It usually takes a helper to get the proper measurements from stock bar to where you hands and arms are most comfortable.
how would I do such a thing?

Old 02-14-2016, 10:12 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 203 Likes on 165 Posts

Convert. Like others have said, have a buddy hold the bike upright by the front wheel/fairing. Sit on the bike, close your eyes and put your arms where you think the bars should be. If you find yourself trying to scoot back on the seat or if your hands end up in a position too far forward (fairing in the way) you'll also have an indication that you need to be seated further back.

Seats can be modified easily enough and if the buddy that's holding the bars can eyeball or even measure the distance from stock to where your ideal position is, then you've at least got a baseline. Try the same thing another day and see if you get the same results. You might consider doing the bars first or the seat first and see what needs to be moved if any once that's done.

I have to believe that between a new seat and some 14" apes, you'll find just the right spot. good luck

Old 02-14-2016, 10:24 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,027 Likes on 537 Posts

Another option is go to the dealer and see if they have some used bikes with different bars to get a feel for what you may want.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:15 PM
motoXjoe
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Like the guys said, borrow the loaner Tall Boy seat for a week or two from the dealer. Also, you can move the bars forward an inch or two fairly easy, until comfortable.
I got the Kury floorboard relocators, moves it forward an inch and out an inch. Had them on my heritage too. Cheap and easy to put on, and gets your knee away from the air filter and boot away from the pipe. Most guys go with the 12 inch apes, usually no cables needed.
Good luck getting riding time, that's the only way you'll know what works for the long haul.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:30 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
You might not like the seating position either, maybe you want a seat that sets you back further, in which case your handle bar choice would be wrong. Comfort on these bikes is a very personal thing, needs to be worked out by you after you've ridden for a while.
Put down the phone, take your wife out to dinner, ride and decide in the Spring.
Very good advice! It's personal chose and some good seat time is needed to make a good decision.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:55 AM
convertedrocket
6th Gear

Thanks for all the advice. I just didn't know there was a way to get a baseline for handlebars or seat. I was just nervous to spend 300 on a set of new bars only to find out that I hate them just as much.