Sponsored by:

Progressive 444 HD or SD confusion

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 06:50 PM
GLW Mike
Club Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Progressive 444 HD or SD confusion

I have read many threads, sent question to Progressive but haven't received reply yet and Revzillas reply didn't quite answer my concern.. so I turn to you guys.

Can the Progressive 444 13" Heavy Duty shocks handle/function good without bottoming out, with a approx 470# combine 2up weight?

I have a 2016 Limited
I weigh 300# and maybe 15# gear. I ride solo 65-75% of time...but when the girlfriend is with me, we are taking day trips, etc. She weighs around 140# I think.

if I just rode solo, answer is obvious to go Heavy Duty... but will the Heavy Duty give a good ride without bottoming out, in my 2up weight range?

I hate to go Super Duty, and be very stiff for me solo, if it is overkill

I want to stay at same height. I don't want bike to be lower. That's why I'm not looking at the 944s.

thanks

Old 05-04-2017, 07:25 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Isn't the maximum combined passenger weight around 400lbs? I don't think any shocks will help in this case.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:32 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,623 Likes on 12,011 Posts

I run HDs and I weigh 210. Fully loaded two up the bike feels good. Figure 210 for me, 120 for Cheryl, and 50-60 lbs for luggage. So a total of 390. At that point I could probably run SDs, but with 6 turns of preload it's pretty good.

Honestly, I would order them with SD springs in your case. With progressive (vs linear) springs the ideal is to achieve sag with no preload so that you don't use up the softer part of the spring. My guess is with zero or 1 turn you'll be at proper sag.

That said, you can order the HD springs if the SDs are too firm. I think I paid $40 for my second set of springs. Make sure you get the Progressive shock tool to take the shocks apart. You'll want that anyway to clean them.

Another thing, a racer friend told me is you can use two different spring rates on each side to fine tune. I.e., a SD spring on one side and a HD spring on the other.

The following 2 users liked this post by nevada72:
Campy Roadie (05-04-2017), rwven (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 09:40 PM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by GLW Mike
I have read many threads, sent question to Progressive but haven't received reply yet and Revzillas reply didn't quite answer my concern.. so I turn to you guys.

Can the Progressive 444 13" Heavy Duty shocks handle/function good without bottoming out, with a approx 470# combine 2up weight?

I have a 2016 Limited
I weigh 300# and maybe 15# gear. I ride solo 65-75% of time...but when the girlfriend is with me, we are taking day trips, etc. She weighs around 140# I think.

if I just rode solo, answer is obvious to go Heavy Duty... but will the Heavy Duty give a good ride without bottoming out, in my 2up weight range?

I hate to go Super Duty, and be very stiff for me solo, if it is overkill

I want to stay at same height. I don't want bike to be lower. That's why I'm not looking at the 944s.

thanks
I weigh 230# and the HD springs weren't HD enough for me solo. The soft portion of the progressive spring was coil bound before I was able to get the correct sag in the suspension. The SD springs work fairly well for me solo with the preload turned all the way "off", a tad on the stiff side but not harsh. They are very good riding two up without having to add any preload.. At 300# I think they would be spot on solo for you with maybe a few turns of preload riding two up. I have the 13.5" shocks and I am really enjoying the extra few degrees of lean angle....

Link to review of my Progressive 444 and monotube installation: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...de-review.html

Last edited by rwven; 05-04-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:05 PM
GLW Mike
Club Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Thank you guys. Nevada...great idea. Worse case if I go supers and too stiff, I'll change springs. Based on both of you guys suggestions, I'm going to go with supers..
but hear is a Revzilla's tech said after I already posted this thread. However I'm leaning a supers anyway.

So, progressive recommends the Super Duty for 350+ pounds. That said, in my experience that is a low estimate. I personally would not recommend the super duty until you are riding with over 400 pounds most of the time. They are STIFF. Stiff enough that I would sincerely recommend sticking with the heavy duty for you.

With just a twist of the wrist, you can crank up the preload on those which I am sure will keep you from bottoming out, even with the lady along for the ride.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:05 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,623 Likes on 12,011 Posts

I like Revzilla, but they are going by what Progressive says. And Progressive reps seem to recommend springs that are too light in my experience. I spoke a number of times with the rep. Great guy. Very informative. But, he said the HDs were for if I was always loaded two up and even if I had a trailer, which I do not. So I went with his recommendation of the standard springs. I had to crank the preload almost all the way to get proper sag. The ride was not so great and I bottomed out a lot. Fortunately, I was able to ride a buddy's bike that had the HD springs prior to buying mine, so I knew the ride should be better. I switched to the HD springs and it was a LOT better. Kind of counterintuitive that the heavier spring would be smoother. But with Progressive springs, that smooth ride is from the first inch of travel. The big bumps get soaked up by the heavier spring rate.

I think that has a lot to do with why some people hate Progressive shocks and call them cheap. First of all, they're not cheap. Sure, somewhat less $$ than Ohlins, but not so much that the difference in price should matter vs getting the right shock. But I think that people are sold a spring rate that is too light and it doesn't do the ride, or the brand, justice.

Last edited by nevada72; 05-05-2017 at 07:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rwven (05-05-2017)