Sponsored by:

More rear visability

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 12:56 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,514 Likes on 2,134 Posts
Default More rear visability

Since I got my 16 RGS it's bothered me that the only rear lights are the two puny run/turn/brake bullets, and the fender tip running light. Even with LED inserts, I wanted more. I had the same issue on my LRS, which equally bothered me, which I resolved when I swapped out the bobber for a full rear fender that let me install a proper tail light.

I like Custom Dynamics stuff, so I looked to them for possible solutions.

They make a add-on tail light, but it is stuck on the rear fender with double side tape and required a hole be drilled in the fender. Don't really want to do that.

Thought of their "fillerz" which pop into the antenna holes, but a) they don't look like they do much (only 3 LED's in each) and b) they look like the sig bullets and stalks will block most of them.

So I just ordered a set of their plasma rods, which are 8" bright LED strips that attach between the bags and the fender valance. Seems like the best solution with the limited options available, and they don't require any real visual alignment or coordination (which I have absolutely none of) to install correctly.

They also offer a replacement tip LED package, which acts as run/brake instead of the factory run only. May look at that at some point if the plasma rods don't satisfy my perceived need for rear-facing brightness.

Anyway, they should arrive in a few days and hopefully I can get them on over the weekend. I'd like to say I'd make a video of the install, or even take photos, but I know I'll forget until its all buttoned up. So expect some photos of only the completed install...

Last edited by Mchad; 10-04-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:34 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,667 Likes on 5,196 Posts

BAL tail light. Is a quick easy one.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:42 PM
TomboAT65
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Here's mine 15 RGS with CD lights and Tri-bar light. Even in the day time, mine are still pretty bright.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:47 PM
HarleyBP
Road Master
Received 101 Likes on 93 Posts

I have the CD laydown tail light, tri-bar light, turn signals, and flasher. In Canada, the tail light is required, bu HD does not activate the tri-bar light even though the wiring harness's and connectors are all there. The CD tri-bar is plug and play. Go figure.
Anyone following says lots of light back there and the flashers really help to get attention.
CD lights are nice and bright.

The following users liked this post:
HARLEY100TH (04-19-2018)
Old 10-04-2017, 02:59 PM
tundrabuilt
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I used Ciro bag blades on mine. They are smaller and more discreet than the Custom Dynamics or Harley bag lights. Also much brighter than my CVO tail lights. Adds great visibility to drivers when I'm riding at night, or early morning traffic.

<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:75.0%"><iframe src="
" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;le ft:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

Old 10-04-2017, 03:30 PM
VinceTheArchitect
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by tundrabuilt
I used Ciro bag blades on mine. They are smaller and more discreet than the Custom Dynamics or Harley bag lights. Also much brighter than my CVO tail lights. Adds great visibility to drivers when I'm riding at night, or early morning traffic.
I wish these were around before I got the HD bag lights. I hate red turn signals.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:23 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,514 Likes on 2,134 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
BAL tail light. Is a quick easy one.
Thanks, but you're not following. The '16 RGS has no tail light. So a brighter tail light has no where to go.

I also already have the Custom Dynamics inserts which are great, but still only two dots off in the sunset for the absent minded cager.

I’m looking forward to the CD plasma rods and I’ll probably end up with the tri-bar as well.

Was hoping there was some other magic bullet for these visibility challenged bikes, but it looks like I’ve found most.

Last edited by Mchad; 10-04-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:45 AM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,267 Likes on 2,957 Posts

I have the CD Fillerz and they are bright as can be. Even with your taillights, they'd be seen. I also have HD's Saddlebag Lights that came with my TP detach kit. Between thos 2 light sets, you can't miss seeing me. This pic is in running light mode, when you hit the brakes, its a wake up call

The following users liked this post:
muddmann (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 08:42 PM
snafu
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I've got the CD FillerZ on my '17 RGU and they are extremely bright.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:44 PM
vanbarrq@lordsseed.com
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
I have the CD Fillerz and they are bright as can be. Even with your taillights, they'd be seen. I also have HD's Saddlebag Lights that came with my TP detach kit. Between thos 2 light sets, you can't miss seeing me. This pic is in running light mode, when you hit the brakes, its a wake up call
Have you thought about putting a strobe to that?

Quick Reply: More rear visability