Sponsored by:

Air Shocks or No Air Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 09:49 AM
manzo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Shocks or No Air Shocks

Well less then 200 miles, i think i got a happy medium with just me on the bike. Forget about a rider and luggage. Still seems to bottom out on big enough bumps and dips. And thats being carefull. Please note i do live in NY, Long Island

My question is. Should i get rid of them and get a set of new/used take offs from a special, which are coil over, and not have to be bothered with the pump and gauge.

Thanx for the help
Manny

Old 03-17-2014, 10:19 AM
FLHTKONE
Advanced

After much research, Harley air shocks suck! Call Howard at motorcyclemetal.com. I just put on Ohlins that he made for me and my bike.

Only down side is they are expensive but IMO worth it.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:16 PM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually like the rear air shocks other than they are a PITA to change air settings. I changed out the rear suspension oil with Bel Ray HV1 and the ride is very good. Try that first, many threads on here about how to do it and it's very inexpensive. If that doesn't work, change the shocks.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:11 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by manzo
Well less then 200 miles, i think i got a happy medium with just me on the bike. Forget about a rider and luggage. Still seems to bottom out on big enough bumps and dips. And thats being carefull. Please note i do live in NY, Long Island

My question is. Should i get rid of them and get a set of new/used take offs from a special, which are coil over, and not have to be bothered with the pump and gauge.

Thanx for the help
Manny
I went with the Premium Adjustable low shocks from HD. The ride is much more controlled, less bouncy, firmer than the air shocks. BUT I find that I have to adjust them more than the stock shocks. They are very sensitive to one up, two up, tour-pak on, etc. Once you have the numbers down, it's just a matter of dialing it in for the weight on board but there is no set and forget setting.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:12 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

I like the factory shocks on my RK, I have the HD digital air pump and takes no more than 60 seconds to get out of the bag and adjust the PSI. works for me and Bike rides great.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:39 PM
Skully
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shocks will be my next upgrade. Just trying to decide which way to go but I'm leaning torwards the Harley adjustable shocks. After that on to the front suspension to fix the brake dive...

Old 03-17-2014, 01:52 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Went from air shocks on my 07 SG to the new coil overs on my 14 SGS. Still tweeking the adjustments but the new ones do seem to handle better but the ride is a little harsher. I'll get it worked out or end up w/ Progressives or something else.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:44 AM
texaspirate
Road Captain

I have had no issues with Air Shocks on my 07 Ultra. Have a HD little pump to adjust when loads (passenger or luggage) increase. Just the weight of the full dresser loaded can bottom out if the bump is severe enough and at a given speed. Overall they work well. The 14 SGS with Progressive Shocks are a totally different ride. Much stiffer and can be easy adjusted to accommodate loads. For average riding loads (rider and some gear). I keep it a middle level adjustment which works for me. Rare have I bottomed out the suspension on this bike.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:26 PM
LilWick
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default air ride

I have the premium shocks on my special And would hardly say they are easy to adjust. Cranking them 13 turns to support the weight based on the manual is a chore. I am putting air ride on mine for less than $400 and will gladly sell you my premium shocks. Check out chopped bagger and search for air ride 101.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:08 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I am also a big fan of the HD Premium shocks. I have written a few threads on my experience with these shocks. For the money you can't beat them. I know a lot of folks have just changed the oil in the OEM air shocks as Flyer mentioned, and that would be worth a try if you have the time.