Sponsored by:

Quick Question Regarding Listening to a Playlist Via Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 10:25 AM
GoGetter5832
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Quick Question Regarding Listening to a Playlist Via Bluetooth

I feel I have 99% of the infotainment center figured out. I did however run into something that confused me last night. I always plug my iPhone 5 into the USB cord and listen to the playlist in my phone which always works fine while I ride. Last night I went for a fairly short ride and did not want to plug my phone into the USB cord and just wanted to keep it in my saddle bag and listen to my playlists via Bluetooth. When I did this for some reason the infotainment center could not pull up my playlist but started to play some of my songs. Since I was driving I did not want to deal with it and just settled with listening to some of my songs which I thought would be played on shuffle. After a couple songs, a commercial came on. I was extremely confused as to what the infotainment center was playing and why there were commercials. I don't know how to use Pandora via the infotainment center and I'm certain it wasn't playing pandora. Has anybody else had anything similar to this or does anybody know if the phone/music works completely differently via Bluetooth compared to plugging it in via USB?

Old 08-03-2014, 11:36 AM
skieverything
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you have comercials in your playlist, your playlist is not what you were listening to. I have no problems via the bluetooth what so ever.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:44 AM
GoGetter5832
Road Master

Originally Posted by skieverything
Unless you have comercials in your playlist, your playlist is not what you were listening to. I have no problems via the bluetooth what so ever.
I am so confused. I promise I am not "Tech Illiterate." I went to "Media" and clicked on my phone then I went to look up playlists and it kept showing "Reading or Loading" (I can't remember) then one of my songs in my playlist came on (showed name of artist, album, song, etc). I went back into playlists and none came up which made me think since it was on bluetooth it takes time for the phone and infotainment center to sync together. After a couple songs a commercial came on. After the commercial another song played then I tried to click to the next song by moving the lever to the right arrows and it wouldn't go no the next song. I then just clicked off "Media" and listened to the radio. Just a "freak" technical glitch I guess.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:39 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Sounds to me like you were accessing Pandora and not your playlist.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:12 PM
2014streetglide
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you ever listen to apple radio on your iphone 5? The reason I ask is because when ever my iphone 5 connect via bluetooth on the infotainment, it picks up wherever the now playing is. So if I was listening to apple radio in my house, get on the bike it will resume where it left off. If it all songs shuffled or playlist shuffled then it picks up from there. So maybe that's why you heard commercials after a few songs?

Old 08-03-2014, 10:20 PM
GoGetter5832
Road Master

Originally Posted by 2014streetglide
Do you ever listen to apple radio on your iphone 5? The reason I ask is because when ever my iphone 5 connect via bluetooth on the infotainment, it picks up wherever the now playing is. So if I was listening to apple radio in my house, get on the bike it will resume where it left off. If it all songs shuffled or playlist shuffled then it picks up from there. So maybe that's why you heard commercials after a few songs?
I haven't in a while but this could be it. My iPhone 5 is on it's last leg and the top button doesn't work to shut down the screen so I find myself pocket dialing many people and sometimes opening up my phone and having an app activated I never clicked on. Possibly the apple radio was activated which could have easily happened. My main confusion is it was playing songs that are in my music library (i have around 3,000 so it could be apple radio was playing one of them). I am of the thinking this was some glitch. I'm going to go out and sit on my bike in my garage and just mess around with it in bluetooth mode and see what happens.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:42 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

With my iPhone 5s & newest generation iPod Nano, I cannot pull up my playlists via Bluetooth. The radio does play songs though, but not from a specific playlist. I got the Nano last week, so I can just leave it in the glove box connested to USB.

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not, that I can't get the playlist to work via Bluetooth, but gave me a good reason to give the wife to get a Nano.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:04 AM
HarleyCamper
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by load97
With my iPhone 5s & newest generation iPod Nano, I cannot pull up my playlists via Bluetooth. The radio does play songs though, but not from a specific playlist. I got the Nano last week, so I can just leave it in the glove box connested to USB.

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not, that I can't get the playlist to work via Bluetooth, but gave me a good reason to give the wife to get a Nano.
This is pretty much what my situation is too. I'm using a little 32G thumbdrive (plenty of space for thousands of songs) for playlists. I have found that the iphone 5 via bluetooth does have a few limitations. I know, where's that pussification thread again?
P.S. One of the nice things about using the thumbdrive in the usb compartment though, is there's plenty of room for my garage door opener.

Last edited by HarleyCamper; 08-04-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't see the playlist while connected via Bluetooth. You can start the playlist on your phone and it will play on the infotainment system but you can not change it thru the radio over Bluetooth. You can only go forward or backwards within that playlist. To change playlist you would have to pull your phone out and change it manually. If the last thing you listened to was pandora on your phone then when it connects via Bluetooth and you select that sorce then that's what starts playing. This is why I always connect my phone or use my iPod. Because I like to change playlist while riding and want to see them listed in the menu. Hope this makes sence...lol

Old 08-04-2014, 03:56 PM
GoGetter5832
Road Master

Originally Posted by Webo
You can't see the playlist while connected via Bluetooth. You can start the playlist on your phone and it will play on the infotainment system but you can not change it thru the radio over Bluetooth. You can only go forward or backwards within that playlist. To change playlist you would have to pull your phone out and change it manually. If the last thing you listened to was pandora on your phone then when it connects via Bluetooth and you select that sorce then that's what starts playing. This is why I always connect my phone or use my iPod. Because I like to change playlist while riding and want to see them listed in the menu. Hope this makes sence...lol
BOOM!! This must have been it. I didn't know you can't see the playlist when only connected via Bluetooth. Learned something new! That's what this site is for right? Lol. Thanks so much bro!!