Sponsored by:

2014 FLHTCU Rear Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 11:16 PM
jayhawkclint
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2014 FLHTCU Rear Turn Signals

Made the mistake of test riding a '14 Ultra a couple weeks ago. It followed me home. Only put 200mi on it so far, overall extremely pleased, have the first of many questions:

What are you guys doing for turn signals with detachable tour pak hardware installed? I don't like the idea of sticking the MoCo kit LEDs to the saddle bags. Would a street glide turn signal bar bolt on? Other plug and play solutions? I looked at a Road King bar, but they seem to have a special indent on the fender.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:58 AM
Harttoo
Road Master

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

Have You seen the electra glo leds working on someone's saddlebags?When I did I bought them.Very bright and sticking to saddlebag was no big deal.They unplug easily for bag removal.JMO

Old 08-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

You could try installing vertical plasma bars between the bags & rear fender as many SG owners do, but the UC has fillers back there that have big slots in them, where the SG has closed fillers - you might have to get creative with how you mount them. If not that, there are aftermarket taillights available that look very much like the stock unit but have turn signals built into them - I know Kuryakyn & I believe Custom Dynamics has them too.

But, as Harttoo says, I like the Electra Glo LED lamps that attach to the rear of the saddlebags. I just installed a set 2 days ago. My wife was helping me test them after installation in our darkened garage & she was really surprised at how bright they are. They are illuminated any time the bike is on, acting as tail/turn/brake lights. I won't be detaching my tour pack but I wanted some extra light back there & they fit the bill nicely. I bought the red lens units, they also come with smoked lenses.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:09 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm installing a street glide light bar on mine but to do that you need to replace the fender since the indentations/holes for the LB aren't there. Other than that it seems to be a plug and play - I haven't installed them permanently yet but I did remove the tail light and plug the LB in - ran the hazards for a few seconds and then the signals and it works as it should.........both the LB and the tour pak flash together. I did get an error code (soft one mind you) when I unplugged them again but that didn't return after I cleared it.

As an alternative - if you were willing to drill the fender, you could install a Great Bike Gear bracket from a Dyna above the tail light that would do two things. First, you'll have a lay down plate bracket if you're doing a detachable TP and it also has a place to mount bullet signals. Uses a standard 3 hole pattern and looks like this:
http://home.comcast.net/~p51bombay/11.JPG

Old 08-21-2014, 07:50 PM
jayhawkclint
Tourer

Thanks for the ideas. I decided to go with a Custom Dynamics LED lic plate frame mounted to a Kuryakan mount.

Turn signal decoder:

Wiring the fender:

Brake light is from a '12 Road King:

Old 09-18-2014, 10:15 PM
jayhawkclint
Tourer

Here is my finished product. Ended up painting a fender extension with filler strips and putting the CD Plasma rods in behind.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:25 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

very clean - what's it look like with the signals on?

Old 09-18-2014, 10:34 PM
jayhawkclint
Tourer

Originally Posted by p51bombay
very clean - what's it look like with the signals on?
They are bright as hell, but I currently have them mounted to the side of the stock rear chrome filler piece. I need to move them forward and inch to the front of the chrome filler piece (directly behind the filler strips) so that they are more visible from side angles.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:12 PM
jayhawkclint
Tourer

Here's the plasma rods:

Old 10-03-2014, 07:26 PM
patbernotas
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great! Where did you get the extended fender? I am having a hard time finding a shorter one. Also which Kuryakyn mount did you use?

Thanks

Pat

Quick Reply: 2014 FLHTCU Rear Turn Signals