2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 12:27 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,713 Likes on 1,995 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Sportster
You might want to get a nice fender bib for it. That clear plastic on top of the rear fender looks like crap. I put a bib on mine and it looks better. Just my opinion...
We'll have to agree to disagree on that. When I see a fender bib, I immediately think "he's covering up damaged paint."

Frankly, I so seldom run the passenger seat I may just end up taking the plastic off at some point, now that I'm sure I'm going to be keeping the bike for the long haul. Yeah, I know, but, women seem to find your Uncle G. to be "absolutely resistible" so there's little need for the passenger seat.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:45 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,713 Likes on 1,995 Posts

Here's a couple more pictures. Today I installed the docking hardware and the "Hold Fast" luggage rack. Harley discontinued the rack I originally ordered, but this one is more sturdy and should serve me well for touring. Yes, I know it's meant to mount the tour pack, but I can strap my soft bag to it and hit the road.

Yes, I know it's not particularly attractive, but, since it's detachable, it doesn't have to be there when I'm not using it.

Notice, I haven't yet installed the frame cover under the seat, and I'm not sure I will. I rather like seeing the mono shock visible.

The following 3 users liked this post by Uncle G.:
Cajun4x4 (03-31-2020), not_so_newb (03-16-2020), RENARELLO (03-30-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 10:25 PM
JimmyKitt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
Yep. Street Cannon is louder than stock but not by much. The S&S is louder than Street Cannon. It's not exactly a Neighbor Hater but it's a nice, deep rumbling harley sound that really barks when you get on the gas or shift gears.

You wouldn't be disappointed with an S&S. Not to mention the fact they are one of the highest quality pipes in the business, and good-looking to boot.
I’m disappointed I didn’t get any feedback from guys running non compliant aftermarket slipons. I’d like to hear what they’ve experienced with regard to warranty. I know what Harley corporate has to say about it, but am curious about how dealerships have treated guys that went with aftermarket options.

Old 03-16-2020, 06:55 AM
leftyjm
Road Warrior

Received 403 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyKitt
I’m disappointed I didn’t get any feedback from guys running non compliant aftermarket slipons. I’d like to hear what they’ve experienced with regard to warranty. I know what Harley corporate has to say about it, but am curious about how dealerships have treated guys that went with aftermarket options.
I have non compliant Rinehart slip ons with the SE tuner and air filter and was told by Harley and the dealer that installed them the same thing. If the slip ons were the DIRECT cause of a warranty issue it would not be covered but if they weren’t, no problem.
When I called Harley the guy told me he does not know how a muffler could cause an internal issue.
I have a feeling this warranty paranoia is being blown out of proportion.

Old 03-16-2020, 07:36 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,062 Likes on 2,240 Posts

Even though the warranty specifically states that exhaust systems may void the warranty, the chances of that happening have to be pretty slim, but there's a catch. Let me explain.

What started this whole mess, as everyone knows, was when the EPA went after H-D because their independently owned dealers were selling bikes with race tuners that altered the emissions in violation of EPA regulations. In the consent decree, H-D agreed, among other things, to "deny all warranty claims for functional defects of powertrain components for any Harley-Davidson vehicle (Model Year 2017 or later) that was tuned using a Tuning Product that was not covered by a California ARB (CARB) Executive Order, or otherwise approved by EPA."

So, how does this decree affect aftermarket slip-on mufflers? Well, CARB requires that all slip-on mufflers must be both EPA and CARB emissions compliant. Now, many motorcycle muffler manufacturers offer "50 state EPA/CARB compliant mufflers". That's great, right?

Here's the catch, though. When it comes to 18+ Softail models, the catalytic converter is installed in the mufflers on all models except the FXDR and Fat Bob. If you install slip-ons that don't have a catalytic converter in the muffler, therefore they don't meet EPA/CARB emissions regulations, have you voided your powertrain warranty? Technically, I'm supposing you have, but what are the chances that a dealer is going to deny a powertrain warranty claim? That's the million dollar question that no one really seems to be able to definitively answer and, to my knowledge, no member of this forum has posted an answer to that question either because they haven't had a powertrain warranty denied because of non-compliant slip-ons or because, like most of us, they just don't know the answer.

Last edited by GalvTexGuy; 03-16-2020 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:12 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,802 Likes on 1,171 Posts

All the more reason to get S&S and not worry about it.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:03 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

Harley voids warranties two ways .
1) when the tech at your dealer plugs your bike into the service diagnostic computer a copy of the info it collects is sent to HD for warranty purposes . they will automatically deny the warranty if a bike has been tuned with an aftermarket tuner not compliant with EPA/CARB . since only the HD tuners are compliant that means any other tuner will void your warranty . as far as i or anyone else knows there is no way for the diagnostic computer to know what mufflers you have on your bike . so slipons will not automatically void warranty , same for changing the air filter .
2) the technician , if he he feels some modification to your bike has caused a problem , OR if HD requests more info , will inform HD of any mods made to the bike . HD can then void the warranty if they wish .
this information is based on reading many of the threads here on warranty issues , if you make mods to a motorcycle it's really between you and the manufacturer if they void your warranty or not . it's not my fault.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:30 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,062 Likes on 2,240 Posts

Personally, I didn't like the Grand Nationals because the top muffler didn't extend past the end of the saddlebag. I thought it looked like sh*t. I sent them back and got a refund.

This is a response I got from S&S when I ask them about the mufflers being so short.

The mufflers are shorter than stock because they were designed for non-Heritage Softails and adapted to fit that chassis.
I'm sorry about the issues and have made our exhaust Product Line Manager aware of your concerns.

The following users liked this post:
leftyjm (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 10:45 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,173 Likes on 730 Posts

@ $550 a pair... I think I would pass.

The following users liked this post:
WarHorse15 (06-24-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 10:57 AM
leftyjm
Road Warrior

Received 403 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Personally, I didn't like the Grand Nationals because the top muffler didn't extend past the end of the saddlebag. I thought it looked like sh*t. I sent them back and got a refund.

This is a response I got from S&S when I ask them about the mufflers being so short.
I agree.

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread