2018+ Softail Models Breakout

2018 heritage classic exhaust

Old 09-08-2018, 08:08 PM
PsychoDevilDog
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2018 heritage classic exhaust

I just got a 2018 Heritage Classic FLHC with the Milwaki Eight 107.
I'm trying to decide what exhaust to get. I wanna go with just some slip on mufflers, and I'm stuck between Rineheart, V&H Eliminator, and RCX.
I don't really know the difference between the sounds of these 3, but all three have been recommended to me by different people. I'm looking for a deep rumble, louder than this Honda sounding factory exhaust, but not wake up the neighbors within a 1 mile radius kind of loud.
Really just want my Harley to sound like a Harley rather than a Honda.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:31 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

RCX has a nice sound. I haven't heard the others however to make a comparison.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:42 PM
Chambeaux
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 92 Posts

Last week I bought a 2018 FLHCS and just put Vance and Hines Twin Slash slip ons on and loving the guttural rumbling sound. Perfect for me.

The following 2 users liked this post by Chambeaux:
Doglb (12-22-2019), lumdog1931 (02-22-2019)
Old 09-09-2018, 05:31 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Coingrats and welcome to the '18 Heritage "owners club"...you are goiing to love it!

If you read throught the The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread you will find a lot of information about what riders have done exhaust-wise to their Heritage and a lot more. I think you will find that Rineharts are one of the most popular for both looks and sound.

As a 107 owner, I would offer the following reccomendations:
1. ASAP upgrade to a Stage I H-D SE Oval Air Ventilator and tune the bike with the H-D SE Street tuner. This will raise the Idle RPM so the bike does not sould like it wants to stall at a stop and throttle responce will be significantly improved. Then adding slip-ons will not require any additional tune.
2. If like many of the '18 Heritage owners have reported, you will probably find that wind buffeting with the stock windshield to be a problem. Many opt for a set of Fangs and replacing the stock windshield with a recurve windshield of a height specifically selected based on the riders height in the saddle. I can vouch that these mods work and make a world of difference.

Enjoy the new scoot and ride safe

Last edited by FrankEV; 09-09-2018 at 05:33 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:17 AM
PsychoDevilDog
4th Gear

Originally Posted by FrankEV

As a 107 owner, I would offer the following reccomendations:
1. ASAP upgrade to a Stage I H-D SE Oval Air Ventilator and tune the bike with the H-D SE Street tuner. This will raise the Idle RPM so the bike does not sould like it wants to stall at a stop and throttle responce will be significantly improved. Then adding slip-ons will not require any additional tune.
2. If like many of the '18 Heritage owners have reported, you will probably find that wind buffeting with the stock windshield to be a problem.
I'm guessing SE is screaming eagle? I'm new to riding (since mid June this year), I had a 17' sportster for a couple months and traded in on the 18 Heritage.
are there any equivalent after market stage 1 air ventilators available? As well as the tuner also. Funds are low at the moment, I've been peeping for a long ride at the end of the month.

Also, yes the wind buffeting is bad. I was looking into either fangs, or the desert dawgs wind deflector that slips over the mustache highway bar I just installed. Maybe both, what do you think?
Thank for the advice by the way, I'm looking into the H-D SE street tuner and oval air ventilator now.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:28 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychoDevilDog
I'm guessing SE is screaming eagle? I'm new to riding (since mid June this year), I had a 17' sportster for a couple months and traded in on the 18 Heritage.
are there any equivalent after market stage 1 air ventilators available? As well as the tuner also. Funds are low at the moment, I've been peeping for a long ride at the end of the month.

Also, yes the wind buffeting is bad. I was looking into either fangs, or the desert dawgs wind deflector that slips over the mustache highway bar I just installed. Maybe both, what do you think?
Thank for the advice by the way, I'm looking into the H-D SE street tuner and oval air ventilator now.
Yes SE is Screaming Eagle (sorry took it for granted). Yes there are aftermarket tunners and ventilators but they will create problems with H-D warrenty. The H-D SE ventilator and tuner will not.

Have not heard much about the Desert Dawgs wind deflector but I know fangs work well. When $$$'s permit, add the recurve windshield and you will be very happy with the ride.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:23 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

If you go with Rineharts, remember to order the exhaust gaskets. Neither the RH or V&H are that loud. Better sound than the street cannons in my opinion. No real need to touch the a/c unless you want to change the look. The HD street tuner will have to keep in compliance with EPA, so in my opinion, has limited value compared to a Powervision/FP3. If money is tight, I would just change the slip ons for now, ride until your warranty is up, then can do what ever tuner/pipes you want.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:18 AM
XRX
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

Harley makes motorcycles that don't sound like Harleys?

Sounds like the subject of a Theodore Geisel book.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:43 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by XRX
Harley makes motorcycles that don't sound like Harleys?

Sounds like the subject of a Theodore Geisel book.
Blasphemer how dare you take the Doctors name in vain!
Joke man !

Old 09-10-2018, 01:43 AM
PsychoDevilDog
4th Gear

Thank you all for the advice. I went ahead and ordered the 3.5" Rinehart slip ons. And also the H-D fork mount wind deflectors. $499 for the mufflers at revzilla.com, and $60 for the deflectors on eBay (they were open box, but new). Hoping to get the mufflers in by Friday. I'll be in the "Bring it Home" parade in Paris TX on Saturday the 15th. They are attempting to break the world record largest H-D parade.
https://www.parisharley.com/--world-record-parade
Then going on a ride at the end of the month up in Arkansas to do the "Pig Tail", gonna be a 1000 mile weekend.

The following users liked this post:
LC Wheeler (03-29-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 heritage classic exhaust