2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 08:23 PM
Gizmo83
Road Master
Received 488 Likes on 278 Posts

Finally got around to putting the lay down license plate on my Low Rider. I don’t love it, but one of the cheapo bolt heads is stripped out and I don’t want to deal with it right now, so I’m going to leave it for the time being. I don’t think the bolts look great sticking through that far, but overall I think it looks better than stock.

Question is, should I be concerned at all about that fender to bolt clearance? It’s sturdy and doesn’t flex much by hand but I haven’t had it out on the road yet.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:15 PM
vynnski
Intermediate
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Vibration could cause the bolts to touch the fender, but even if they didn’t I’d swap them out with shorter bolts for aesthetics.

The following users liked this post:
Gizmo83 (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 12:10 AM
107" Vibrator
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever
I swapped out my Joker Machine mini floorboards for some Kuryakyn boards. I also cut out my first try at some fairing wind deflectors.

Very interested to hear how well the deflectors work, I put a little over 600 miles on the clock of my FLSB this weekend, part of it in a downpour, and I really like the idea of adding something like this to my bike. What thickness and type of material did you use? How did you mount them? Looks very clean from what I can see.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:09 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo83
Finally got around to putting the lay down license plate on my Low Rider. I don’t love it, but one of the cheapo bolt heads is stripped out and I don’t want to deal with it right now, so I’m going to leave it for the time being. I don’t think the bolts look great sticking through that far, but overall I think it looks better than stock.
Have you seen the Hogrida unit?

http://www.hogrida.com/store.html

The following 2 users liked this post by modular:
Gizmo83 (05-21-2019), XXTHESANDMANXX (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 07:43 AM
XXTHESANDMANXX
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

[QUOTE=Gizmo83;18270710]Finally got around to putting the lay down license plate on my Low Rider. I don’t love it, but one of the cheapo bolt heads is stripped out and I don’t want to deal with it right now, so I’m going to leave it for the time being. I don’t think the bolts look great sticking through that far, but overall I think it looks better than stock.

Question is, should I be concerned at all about that fender to bolt clearance? It’s sturdy and doesn’t flex much by hand but I haven’t had it out on the road yet.

[/QUOTE if you used a lil locktite on the bolts you should be fine but I would flip them around and get some acorn nuts from a local hardware store or some spike nuts from ebay .

Gizmo83 (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 08:03 AM
Belloc42
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

[QUOTE=XXTHESANDMANXX;18271402]
Originally Posted by Gizmo83

[/QUOTE if you used a lil locktite on the bolts you should be fine but I would flip them around and get some acorn nuts from a local hardware store or some spike nuts from ebay .
Or hacksaw them to the right length.

Gizmo83 (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 09:28 AM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 862 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by SportGlide19
Very interested to hear how well the deflectors work, I put a little over 600 miles on the clock of my FLSB this weekend, part of it in a downpour, and I really like the idea of adding something like this to my bike. What thickness and type of material did you use? How did you mount them? Looks very clean from what I can see.
The material I used was 1/8" lexan from the scrap bin at work. I wanted something flexible enough to somewhat conform to the complex geometry on the back side of the fairing, and resist cracking with the wind pressure. The mounting was pretty crude...just drilled a couple through-holes in the back of the fairing and used bolts/nuts/lock washers (nuts are "inside" the fairing). Now that I have proved out the concept, I need to come up with a better looking solution. I may just paint them black so they blend in with the back of the fairing more...I dunno.

107" Vibrator (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 09:44 AM
Belloc42
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever
The material I used was 1/8" lexan from the scrap bin at work. I wanted something flexible enough to somewhat conform to the complex geometry on the back side of the fairing, and resist cracking with the wind pressure. The mounting was pretty crude...just drilled a couple through-holes in the back of the fairing and used bolts/nuts/lock washers (nuts are "inside" the fairing). Now that I have proved out the concept, I need to come up with a better looking solution. I may just paint them black so they blend in with the back of the fairing more...I dunno.
I don't know, man - I think clear is probably less disruptive to the lines than black would be. That's still pretty clean.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:44 AM
cchuck3537
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Belloc42
I don't know, man - I think clear is probably less disruptive to the lines than black would be. That's still pretty clean.
True. Would love some of those for my sport glide.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:24 PM
LH1965
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Couple upgrades that I recently added to the Heritage.
Engine Crash Bar
Saddle Bag Crash Bars
Viking Tour Pack mounted on a quick disconnect 2 up rack

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?