2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Lowering 2018 Breakout

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 12:59 AM
cameron.m
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LIMike
I went with the progressive 465 on my 2018 slim. It dropped the back end about 2in. The new softail design allowed for more ground clearance so even with the 2in drop I'm still able to take tight corners with no issues.
Do you have any photos of the rear?

want to drop the rear of my breakout by about 2inches so wondered if this might be the option

Old 03-15-2019, 05:02 AM
LIMike
Road Captain
Received 366 Likes on 196 Posts

Hey Cameron, sure no problem.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:08 PM
cameron.m
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any chance of a photo on how low it drops the bike

Originally Posted by Blackp5ca
I went with Platinum Air on my 18 Breakout, pretty happy with the air shock performance.
I know air isn't for everyone, I went with it because I love the look of a lowered bike but I also like to ride the bag off it.
My old Softail Blackline had a static drop with Progresive Suspension, looked great and the ride was pretty good with the progressive set up front and rear but came at a cost of ground clearance, carving up the back roads (well..as much carving as you can do on a softail) got a little dicey when your dragging pegs, kickstands and the primary case in the odd corner...it was always a pucker your *** in the tight corners and hope you had enough room left in the lean.
When I bought the new Breakout I decided on the air, never ran air before, wanted the lowered look but with function (I'm running the Thunderbike fender and it looks terrible in my opinion if it's not sitting close to the tire) This gives me the option to air it up to stock height to rip the back roads without worrying about scraping or catching anything.
With the Platinum system, it has height and rebound control in the bleed and feed system (two toggles, set the height with one and rebound with the other) so I found I could dial it in pretty good, none of the pogo feel you can get with air ride (It's not an Ohlins quality ride or anything..but it's pretty good, certainly no worse than stock but only marginally better...I felt like the oem shock was pretty good considering)
Price isn't too bad ($1,150), install was easy in the garage with simple tools, haven't had any issues with air loss.