Fatbob 114 Rear Mudguard

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 09:28 PM
Trailhawk1
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Fatbob 114 Rear Mudguard

All -
I know this looks a little Metric/Ducati; but I got sick of my cool but short rear finder not blocking water/mud every time I rode; worse than my dirt-bike! Passenger (Wife) got pretty sick of it also. I Ebay'd an aftermarket Yamaha Mudguard (Carbon Fiber) from China ($68 bucks) and welded a small tab on swingarm and problem solved. Young people think its bad-assed; mixed on usual older Harley crowd. I do know it works great and I think it looks pretty good in person. Much better than the European License Holder/Mudflap. Let me know if you want details/Ebay Link.
Thoughts and/or other solutions for mud issue?

The following users liked this post:
Bowhunter8607 (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 08:35 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

I don't like the look of it now but could get used to it after not having mud, water and grime slinging on my back, back of my helmet and well over the top of my head when coming to a stop. It's quite annoying when riding in the rain. I'm interested in the link please. Thanks for posting this.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:29 PM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 955 Likes on 657 Posts

It is a job well done but not my kind of taste, mounting the license plate in the rear fender helps a lot against the mud on your back and it looks way better then a sidemount but that is me who is thinking out loud.

The following 2 users liked this post by MoneyFor:
Trailhawk1 (03-28-2019), Warrant (03-28-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 04:10 PM
Trailhawk1
5th Gear

Understood; it is quite a departure from Harley to have a Sport-Bike Mudguard; but the new FXFB is a welcomed departure; and the Ducati-Xdiavel was on my RADAR; had to borrow something from that Italian Engineering

Here is the Ebay link to the MudGuard I used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...53.m1438.l2649

Please look at my pic of my welded swingarm tab for detailed mount. I had a Buddy who is a much better welder than I complete the weld. I did remove the bottom muffler for access; did not have to remove rear-wheel; but it is welded on both sides for strength.

The Guard is meant to mount on the axle-nut of a Yamaha; but I did not want to do that or have to deal with removal for tire R&R - etc. Used 1/4" steel plate. Any welder will have scraps of this laying around. The larger the "thru-bolt/nut" you use the better it will hold and not spin. This has been trouble-free once installed.

Also, if you look close at the guard itself; I added a couple of nylon-spacers (Ace Hardware .98c) to the top two mounting bolts to angle the top of the guard into the tire profile; which nicely directs mud/water into the bottom of the existing fender; not your back!

Let me know if you have any other questions of want additional pics.

More than one way to solve this issue; but so far I am happy with mine. A little disappointed in the function of the rear fender; my Muscle had a short fender but did a great job of keeping mud off-of me/passenger; even with the 260MM-Monster Rear Tire.

Sure love this bike now though. While it does die-off right where the Muscle took-off like the Shuttle; it is more fun to ride with that monster on-demand low-end torque and the suspension is awesome!!!

Good luck and keep me posted.

Bowhunter8607 (03-28-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 05:03 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

That just looks like the mudguard the International bikes come with as standard.

There are hundreds of us Fat Bob owners in Europe that have taken that ugly POS off of the bike, let us know if you want one. Probably free plus shipping!

Old 03-27-2019, 06:10 PM
Trailhawk1
5th Gear

Originally Posted by adm
That just looks like the mudguard the International bikes come with as standard.

There are hundreds of us Fat Bob owners in Europe that have taken that ugly POS off of the bike, let us know if you want one. Probably free plus shipping!
The European bikes with that bulky looking stock mudguard/license tag holder look to have a different swingarm/mount; I thought about doing that but our (US) swingarm does not have the mounting provisions on our swingarms; and I like the look of this "one sided" sleek mounted unit compared to that monster that comes on the International Unit(s).

Just me with one solution I offer; could care less if anyone else likes or uses. I do know there is a time and place for my woman to be dirty; and on the back of my bike going to dinner is not one of them

Warrant (03-28-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 09:38 PM
blackmill
Sponsor
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

some riders have added an extension piece to our kit for extra protection.

http://www.blackmillperformance.com/...vidson-fat-bob

Trailhawk1 (08-27-2020)
Old 04-24-2019, 11:08 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,267 Posts

And where would one get an extension piece?

Old 04-24-2019, 12:14 PM
blackmill
Sponsor
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
And where would one get an extension piece?
we tested prototype extensions as an option, though the problem still exists in wet/mud conditions and decided not to produce them. the best solution is along the lines of what trailhawk1 shows above, the device needs to be way down low there right where the water flings up to be effective. classic trade off scenario with such a sporty fender on the Fat Bob.

Trailhawk1 (08-27-2020)
Old 04-28-2019, 07:53 AM
XXTHESANDMANXX
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Trailhawk1
All -
I know this looks a little Metric/Ducati; but I got sick of my cool but short rear finder not blocking water/mud every time I rode; worse than my dirt-bike! Passenger (Wife) got pretty sick of it also. I Ebay'd an aftermarket Yamaha Mudguard (Carbon Fiber) from China ($68 bucks) and welded a small tab on swingarm and problem solved. Young people think its bad-assed; mixed on usual older Harley crowd. I do know it works great and I think it looks pretty good in person. Much better than the European License Holder/Mudflap. Let me know if you want details/Ebay Link.
Thoughts and/or other solutions for mud issue?

off topic but where did you get that small bag on the right side from ,that is a sweet lil bag

Quick Reply: Fatbob 114 Rear Mudguard