2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Adjusting rear brake pedal height

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 08:59 AM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by druski
Not happy that you have cr*p rear brakes, but I am happy to hear that I'm not the only one who has a completely useless rear brake!

I'm going to give this a try this weekend, maybe I can get back to using my rear brake after this adjustment.
Mchad agrees with you! https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-...rake-suck.html

I had gotten pretty used to the rear brake, at least until I rode my Dyna the other day and had an OMG moment with the contrast between the two bikes. Mchad has ordered some new EBC brake pads, so standby for his report in the other thread.

Originally Posted by Las Vegas Jim
I am looking at buying a 2019 Low Rider and noticed the same problem just sitting on the bike in the showroom. Dealer gave me a story that it wouldn't be a problem and if it was that the foot peddle could be raised, but weren't sure how. I checked around and found out this is a common problem for most people. Your DIY tip is most helpful--THANKS. If after the test ride I decide to buy it, I will make dealer make the adjustment before delivery. With the concentration of dealerships in large corporate hands, more glitz in the dealerships, but the buying experience is just like buying a car--let the buyer beware and be prepared to check everything you are told.
Think you'll be pretty happy with the Low Rider. At its price-point, think of it as the bike to modify to get it exactly what you want (starting with new handlebars! LOL!)

The following users liked this post:
druski (04-11-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 04:08 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,074 Likes on 610 Posts

On the subject of handlebars, I do not have my Low Rider yet; ship date is 6/11.

If I decide I want mini-apes WITHOUT CHANGING cables, wires, brakes lines and the like, does anyone have any experience based knowledge on what height mini-apes I could install?

Thank you all in advance.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:47 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts

I think I need to try this with my lowrider.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:35 PM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 208 Likes on 135 Posts

As far as"Useless Rear Brake" on the Low Rider, mine was awful. I didn't even realize that when the brake pedal was pushed down and got firm, it was actually the piston bottoming in the bore. There was enough air in the system to cause this as the bike was delivered new. Mine is non ABS. I bled it and now the rear brake functions as expected. It is now useful.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:42 AM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Received 228 Likes on 149 Posts

So timely and helpful. I am closing the deal on a new 2019 Low Rider tomorrow, and this post solves an issue. When I did my test ride, I didn't think the rear brake was responding correctly, felt weak, and required excessive ankle movement to work the brake. The dealer tried to convince me that this is normal and would be at least a $200 complicated repair charge. As such, we didn't close on the deal last week. Thanks for your well written instructions and annotated picture.

Question: The Operators Manual states that no hard braking should be done the first 50 miles and that the brakes would feel more normal after this break-in. Has your rear brake performed better after you have ridden it some?

Old 06-19-2019, 12:37 PM
kenny55
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Nice write up for this.
On my 2018 Heritage that little pin retaining ring either somehow came out or was never installed at the factory and consequently the pin fell out. On one of my first long trips to Florida I looked down and noticed my rear brake pedal was sticking straight up at me. Believe it or not I could push it back down and then still apply brake pressure. Thankfully Tallahassee H-D was able to fix me up and within 15 minutes I was back at full strength. The dealer told me that I was the 2nd person to report this failure at their dealership. This was back in May of 2018.

Las Vegas Jim (06-23-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 01:19 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,514 Likes on 2,134 Posts

Originally Posted by Las Vegas Jim
So timely and helpful. I am closing the deal on a new 2019 Low Rider tomorrow, and this post solves an issue. When I did my test ride, I didn't think the rear brake was responding correctly, felt weak, and required excessive ankle movement to work the brake. The dealer tried to convince me that this is normal and would be at least a $200 complicated repair charge. As such, we didn't close on the deal last week. Thanks for your well written instructions and annotated picture.

Question: The Operators Manual states that no hard braking should be done the first 50 miles and that the brakes would feel more normal after this break-in. Has your rear brake performed better after you have ridden it some?
Most if not all brakes will improve once the pads and rotors bed. Mine did orginally, and did again when I later changed the pads to Lyndall Gold's.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:18 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Received 228 Likes on 149 Posts

I bought a new 2019 Low Rider on Thursday. I knew from numerous previous trips to the dealer and a test ride that the brake peddle need to be adjusted. So, I told the dealer that this needed to be an adjustment the dealership made as part of the purchase. A discussion evolved that involved he wasn't sure it could be done, to it could be very pricey, to not sure how to do it. I had anticipated the response; so, I took your instructions with me and told the dealer that it was no big deal, and it was a frequent problem; so, it should learn how to make this adjustment instead of asking customers to adjust their riding styles for an obvious HD design error. I said that fitment issues were deal breakers for me. Needless to say, the issue was resolved.

Fortunately, I like to work on my bike and find that my work is usually more careful than the dealer's service department. In this case, I wanted the dealer to do it after being "advised" that if I did it it could violate the warranty. I also need to state that the dealer I use is the best in the area and am pretty happy with all aspects of their operation. But, Harley Davidson has design and training issue it needs to acknowledge and fix.

FYI: Potential buyers and new owners need to know that it takes 50+ miles of riding and careful braking to properly break in new brake pads. (See Operators Manual.). Know that brake performance will improve significantly between 0 and 100 miles of riding and DO NOT do emergency braking drills or put yourself into situations where emergency or hard braking will be required.

Thank you, again, for this post. It helped me mucho in dealing with the dealer.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:00 PM
ole_phart
Road Master

Received 584 Likes on 364 Posts

For what it's worth to anybody that may want to put forward controls on their Low Riders, that kit puts the new brake pedal at the proper angle so the brakes are much more effective.

Las Vegas Jim (06-23-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 07:09 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ole_phart
For what it's worth to anybody that may want to put forward controls on their Low Riders, that kit puts the new brake pedal at the proper angle so the brakes are much more effective.
If I didn't like the mids so much I would consider the forwards. I really like the mids.

Quick Reply: Adjusting rear brake pedal height