2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Lowrider Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 06:48 AM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Received 228 Likes on 149 Posts
Question Lowrider Test Drive

I took test drives on three new Softails yesterday after researching the models for about six months. (FYI: My idea of a test ride is to take a bike to the HD dealer's Riding Academy course and execute maneuvers, such as figure 8s, u-turns, normal baking, emergency braking, an emergency swerve.) Frankly, I was surprised by the performance of the new Softails. They were more steady in low speed maneuvers and dramatically absorbed road vibrations better than the 2017 Superlow 1200T that I currently own. The test rides confirmed that the Lowrider is the bike that is the best fitment for me and the type of riding I do 80% plus of the time---in-town riding and short-range trips and because I am more confident with mid-controls. I still have a few questions upon which I would like feedback from current 2018-2019 Lowrider owners.

1. Are you experiencing the same significantly better low-speed maneuverability and balance on the new Lowrider that I felt?
2. Are those of you who bought or didn't buy the ABS option satisfied with your decision?
3. Do you feel less beat-up when riding in windy conditions and at Interstate speeds?
4. Are there any issues of which I should be aware?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Las Vegas Jim; 06-15-2019 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Word ommission.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:08 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by Las Vegas Jim
I took test drives on three new Softails yesterday after researching the models for about six months. (FYI: My idea of a test ride is to take a bike to the HD dealer's Riding Academy course and execute maneuvers, such as figure 8s, u-turns, normal baking, emergency braking, an emergency swerve.) Frankly, I was surprised by the performance of the new Softails. They were more steady in low speed maneuvers and dramatically absorbed road vibrations better than the 2017 Superlow 1200T that I currently own. The test rides confirmed that the Lowrider is the bike that is the best fitment for me and the type of riding I do 80% plus of the time---in-town riding and short-range trips and because I am more confident with mid-controls. I still have a few questions upon which I would like feedback from current 2018-2019 Lowrider owners.

1. Are you experiencing the same significantly better low-speed maneuverability and balance on the new Lowrider that I felt?
2. Are those of you who bought or didn't buy the ABS option satisfied with your decision?
3. Do you feel less beat-up when riding in windy conditions and at Interstate speeds?

Thanks for your help.
1. I like the handling but my last bike was a 2014 Street Glide, if you were riding a Sportster, that's pretty good praise for the Low Rider.
2. Had ABS on my Street Glide not on my Low Rider, don't miss it.
3. I rode against gusty wind yesterday. I have a Mustang seat with removable back rest to help but still took a break for a rest. Wind is wind but the use of a windshield has other problems like helmet buffeting and I like the looks of a stripped down Low Rider.
4. I didn't like the handle bars at all, changed mine to Harley Street Slammers, comfortable ergonomics and look nice.
5. I like the mid controls, it's a fun bike to ride.

The following users liked this post:
Las Vegas Jim (06-15-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 05:56 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Low speed handling is pretty much up to the rider. We’ve all seen those videos of highly talented motor officers whipping fully loaded Electra’s around ping pong *****. That said, I also really like the performance of my LR. As I said in a previous thread, a brake pad upgrade increased the rear brake performance (essential in low speed maneuvers).
I’m a big fan of ABS. Some worry about the additional cost, or the complexity and possible repair issues, but in 10 years of owning ABS equipped bikes I’ve never had a failure. Quite the opposite, I had front ABS activate in a emergency which I’m convinced saved me from going down. ONE prevented crash is worth every $800 option I’ve paid to date, and then some.
I’m a fan of cafe fairings on bikes like this. Have a Memphis Shades on my LR, and my very similarity designed FXR. Definitely keeps a good amount of wind off your chest, making extended highway speeds more enjoyable. Now I wouldn’t take it cross country, but I have a bagger for that. Though I’m sure plenty have...
As OldMike said, the stock handlebars suck on most new HD’s. I like taller bars and went with 10” Wild1 T-bars. The new 2 piece clutch and brake cables really makes the swap much less expensive if you need to extend. I had my dealer install. +4” upper brake line. I didn’t want to mess with bleeding brakes myself. Could have gotten away with +2 but I wasn’t sure if I would ever go to 12” bars so I have a little slack. Went +2 on the clutch since I can always change that myself.

The LR is a great bike. Good luck.

Last edited by Mchad; 06-17-2019 at 06:25 AM.
Las Vegas Jim (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 08:43 AM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter

I like your questions; they are much the same as my questions. Here are my answers, so far.
1. YES to improved low speed handling and stability. This capability is what surprised me the most on the test ride. I can't explain; so, I will just enjoy and not over-think the reason.

2. The ABS question is the one that I spent the most time considering. After the test ride, I still didn't have an answer. I suspect that it is because the Owners Manual clearly states that the brakes need at least 50 miles of use to break-in and to not do hard brakes during this period. In the end, I opted to get the ABS because it was "now or never".

3. I am having the dealer install the 4" riser kit before delivery. I think (hope) the additional 1" up and 1" back positions this will move the handlebars enough just enough to address my short arms issue.

I still worry about the reports of the M8 engine running so hot. Any experience with this issue/

I will post an update after I have had the bike 1K miles with suggestions.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:14 AM
auburntsts
Cruiser

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

My wife and I bought a Slim and Lowrider together back last December. She came off a Street 750 and test road both a 1200 Custom and the Lowrider - the Lowrider won hands down in every category except price We didn't get either bike with ABS simply because none of the bikes this particular dealer had in inventory had it, otherwise we'd have gotten it, but obviously not having ABS wasn't a showstopper. We recently added a windshield (which helps a bit with body buffeting) and saddlebags to her Lowrider which makes it a great all-around performer. We ride around in 90+ temps in stop-n-go traffic all the time and haven't had any overheating issues with our M8s.

Last edited by auburntsts; 06-17-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:23 AM
Mchad
Club Member

My M8's report higher average engine temps then my twin cams, did. I see about 280-300 average on a hot day, reaching 310 once or twice in stop and go traffic. The Road King is a bit hotter, but has the advantage of Love Jugs fans which keep the temps down in traffic. Still, neither behaved badly at +300degs, and my RedLine synthetic laughed those temps off. The oil coolers (fan assisted on the King) keep oil temps under control.

The motors also don't "feel" hot at those temps, quite honestly they feel cooler then my past Twin Cams. Though my 80ci Evo is the "Fonz" of my motors :-)

Old 06-17-2019, 02:33 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter

Question: I don't like forward foot controls or wire wheels; so the Slim lost out to the low rider after I tested them both. However, I liked the fact that the seat of the Slim is about 3/4s of an inch lower to the ground. I have a 27" inseam and would like to sit a little lower. How do either you or your wife like the leg reach to the ground on the Low Rider. FYI: I am coming off of a 2017 Sportster Superlow 1200T. I really like the bike the way I sit on it. Tough decision to spend the extra money to get the Low Rider, but some riding conditions convinced me it was time to make the switch.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:43 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Question: I don't like forward foot controls or wire wheels; so the Slim lost out to the low rider after I tested them both. However, I liked the fact that the seat of the Slim is about 3/4s of an inch lower to the ground. I have a 27" inseam and would like to sit a little lower. How do either you or your wife like the leg reach to the ground on the Low Rider. FYI: I am coming off of a 2017 Sportster Superlow 1200T. I really like the bike the way I sit on it. Tough decision to spend the extra money to get the Low Rider, but some riding conditions convinced me it was time to make the switch.
I can't comment. I'm 6'2" so I flat foot even with the HD TallBoy seat and a 13.5" shock that raises the bike up an inch and a half or so.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:04 PM
auburntsts
Cruiser

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

My wife is 5’6” and she is easily able to flat foot it and the mid controls fit her just right. She’s ridden my Slim and can just barely reach the shifter. I’ve ridden her Lowrider and the mids are too close for me at 6’ but I feel her stock 2-up seat and handlebars are more comfortable on longer rides than my Slims.

Las Vegas Jim (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 12:04 AM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter

I am 5'7" and could handle the brake OK on the Slim, but I had to really stretch my left leg out to barely get my toe under the shifter peg. One of the many reasons I didn't think the Slim and I would be a good fit.