2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Watching for a PC5 or PV map for D&D 2-1 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 11:27 AM
Since 1968
Road Master
Received 449 Likes on 295 Posts
Default Watching for a PC5 or PV map for D&D 2-1 Exhaust

I had a Supertrapp 2-1 pipe on my Road King and it was a very nice upgrade. I've zeroed in on a D&D 2 into 1 exhaust for my new Heritage but would really like to start with a proven dyno'd map as a good starting point. I found one for Power Vision, but it's got a Wood cam that does not resemble the SE 447 torque cam that I've already got in the bike. I don't want to wait the full two years of warranty protection, but I do want to wait until I've got at least a few thousand miles on it and get some confidence I won't see expensive motor work in the future.
It would be nice to find a Power Commander V map since it piggybacks onto the stock ECM. Remove it and since the ECM has never been reflashed, the warranty is safe. However, fewer and fewer people are using this unit and odds are I'd have to tune it myself. When the time comes I will talk to my chosen dyno tuner and take his advice on which unit to go with.
It's running extremely well right now with an SE Stage 2 flash and completely stock pipes, but when you know there's more performance to be had......

Old 06-18-2019, 12:35 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,514 Likes on 2,134 Posts

If you buy the D&D from FuelMoto they will provide you with a PV tune for that cam. You’ll need to run several auto tunes to dial it in, but then you’ll be pretty close. You can always dyno it later for those few extra at some point.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:50 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,856 Likes on 980 Posts

Download the H-D super tuner software (not street tuner). http://prosupertuner.harley-davidson...uperTuner.aspx

Use 1111111111 for the serial number.

Then look at the tune for a 2018 Sport Glide (107 or 114) stage II. It will be what you need. It has a 2:1 pipe with a slip-on muffler and the same cam.

I have used many tuning files and these are very good if your bike is similar.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:58 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Hulkss
Download the H-D super tuner software (not street tuner). http://prosupertuner.harley-davidson...uperTuner.aspx

Use 1111111111 for the serial number.

Then look at the tune for a 2018 Sport Glide (107 or 114) stage II. It will be what you need. It has a 2:1 pipe with a slip-on muffler and the same cam.

I have used many tuning files and these are very good if your bike is similar.
How can he load that tune? (Seriously, not being a wise ***). His street tuner will accept super tuner files?

Old 06-18-2019, 02:00 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Mchad
How can he load that tune? (Seriously, not being a wise ***). His street tuner will accept super tuner files?
Just open the tune file in the desktop software and you can select, cut, and past the table data into any other tuner. If a non-H-D tuner you may need to do some formatting in Excel.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:18 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Hulkss
Just open the tune file in the desktop software and you can select, cut, and past the table data into any other tuner. If a non-H-D tuner you may need to do some formatting in Excel.
Ah, Ok. OP'll need a aftermarket tuner then. I thought you meant his EPA SE tuner could load them. The new SE tuners don't allow any real editing of parameters that would impact EPA compliance.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:53 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Mchad
Ah, Ok. OP'll need a aftermarket tuner then. I thought you meant his EPA SE tuner could load them. The new SE tuners don't allow any real editing of parameters that would impact EPA compliance.
He can put the VE tables and the spark tables into the street tuner. The fuel table is locked for the EPA but they are very similar.

The Race tuner is richer at high throttle openings (95 MAP and higher). This is because racing demands continuous wide open throttle and the very rich mixture is cooler, but it actually makes less power. The street tuner limits the time at full throttle with high RPM as follows: (you get 25 seconds at redline)

Race tuner:

Street Tuner:

Last edited by Hulkss; 06-18-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:33 PM
Since 1968
Road Master
Received 449 Likes on 295 Posts

Thanks for the responses and ideas! McHad, I've been in touch with Fuelmoto and they actually don't have a map for my desired exhaust with my HD cam, at least not yet. They feel they can provide one that is 'close enough' to get me going and then work on fine tuning.
Based on my past experience I am absolutely going to get this thing dyno-tuned after I've got my pipe and a good starter map. My R-K ran very well with a PCIII and good tune from Fuelmoto, but when I got it dyno'd later the improvement was significant. It was smoother and more powerful and ran a bit cooler as a bonus. Mileage stayed about the same. I'll spend the cash for a dyno since this will be the last thing I do to this motor. (Honest!)

Hulkss, that's a great tip about transferring maps. That opens up a world of alternative maps to get started with. I'm not going to go any further with SE tuners, so for me it comes down to either a PC5 or a PV. If I don't find a good starter map for these products I can take your suggestion and bring something in. I'm going to be away from home for quite a bit of what's left of 2019, so I will jump as soon as the Christmas bruise on my bank account has healed a bit.