2018+ Softail Models Breakout

2020 Low Rider S owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 05:22 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,218 Posts

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
I always said I'd never put forward controls on my bike, but my '22 FXLRS changed my mind. The foot position was so uncomfortable that my hip joints actually ached. I waited, and rode with the mid controls a handful of times, thinking that I would adjust to the position, but to no avail. I finally bit the bullet and bought the forward controls, and put some mini floorboards on there too....what a difference! So much more of a comfortable position for my long legs. I'm very happy with my choice. I also bought a new bigger brake pedal than the shitty one that came with the kit. I don't have to bend my ankle to reach around the air cleaner to apply the brake now.
Which brake pedal did you use?

Old 04-28-2024, 02:22 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 927 Posts

I always said I'd never put forward controls on my bike, but my '22 FXLRS changed my mind. The foot position was so uncomfortable that my hip joints actually ached. I waited, and rode with the mid controls a handful of times, thinking that I would adjust to the position, but to no avail. I finally bit the bullet and bought the forward controls, and put some mini floorboards on there too....what a difference! So much more of a comfortable position for my long legs. I'm very happy with my choice. I also bought a new bigger brake pedal than the shitty one that came with the kit. I don't have to bend my ankle to reach around the air cleaner to apply the brake now.
they are comfortable for sure., one thing with the wide glide forward controls at high speed I would get the wind pushing my feet off the pegs. Had my s on the highway yesterday and it’s not bad. I actually put a forward reducer on my wide glide because of this. With this bike they are not far forward’s, still have a nice bend at the knees. I think the stock mids are a lot better for twisties on the back roads. When I had my ninja 1000 sport touring bike it had pegs in between rears and mids. Very uncomfortable. I bought a 1” peg lowering kit and it made a huge difference. If someone fabricated a mid peg lowering kit for the s models I think it would sell very well.

Last edited by Durham man; 04-28-2024 at 02:24 AM.
Old 04-28-2024, 02:57 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,980 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
Which brake pedal did you use?
This one. I found it on Amazon.

The following 3 users liked this post by Then Came Bronson:
Durham man (04-28-2024), NZLowrider (04-28-2024), OldMike (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 03:15 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

This bike was at the shop we’re my bike was dynoed. I believe they are fat boy floor boards and pedal. I might go with this in the future.

Old 04-28-2024, 03:21 AM
JCunningham
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Im putting Heritage boards on my S

The following users liked this post:
Durham man (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 03:30 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Durham man
I think the stock mids are a lot better for twisties on the back roads.
No doubt about it. However for guys like me over 6 ft tall, and long legs, the foot position is horrific, and completely ruins the riding experience. If there are any tall guys out there that are comfortable with the stock mids, they must be yoga gurus, and a lot more flexible than me.

If someone fabricated a mid peg lowering kit for the s models I think it would sell very well.
The only problem I see with this could be the lean angle being adversely affected.

Old 04-28-2024, 03:38 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

This bike was at the shop we’re my bike was dynoed. I believe they are fat boy floor boards and pedal. I might go with this in the future.
Another guy mentioned Heritage floorboards. This looks similar with the big brake pedal to boot.

I'll ride with my mini floorboards for a while, and see how they function. So far, so good. I've also considered full floorboards (Heritage or Thrashin boards).

Durham man (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 03:43 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

No doubt about it. However for guys like me over 6 ft tall, and long legs, the foot position is horrific, and completely ruins the riding experience. If there are any tall guys out there that are comfortable with the stock mids, they must be yoga gurus, and a lot more flexible than me.

The only problem I see with this could be the lean angle being adversely affected.
me at 6’ is probably max. After a couple hours my landings would be a little sloppy as my legs would get stiff. As far as loosen lean angle with lowering pegs it would probably be only wise if the bike has raised suspension like we did.

Then Came Bronson (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 05:12 AM
BlueridgeXL
Tourer
Received 191 Likes on 124 Posts

I’m 5’8” with a 29” inseam and I’d like to lower the pegs about a 1/2”. Knees are close to parallel but 1/2” drop would be better.

I can’t ride with forwards, my feet are involved in steering the bike. An inch back and a 1/2 down would be my happy place.

Old 04-28-2024, 05:52 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

If you can get by with the mids the dk custom highway pegs are nice. I used them a lot.
Originally Posted by BlueridgeXL
I’m 5’8” with a 29” inseam and I’d like to lower the pegs about a 1/2”. Knees are close to parallel but 1/2” drop would be better.

I can’t ride with forwards, my feet are involved in steering the bike. An inch back and a 1/2 down would be my happy place.
what are you running for a seat? I go back and forth with the Hd tall boy and the saddlemen explorer. The tall boy seat will set you back and up. You definitely need some pull back in the bar with it or you will be reaching for the bar. The explorer will lift you up. They both put my knees level with my hips. Now with forward controls I can run any seat I think. A lot of pro’s and con’s.

Last edited by Durham man; 04-28-2024 at 05:56 AM.

Quick Reply: 2020 Low Rider S owners