2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Stumped!!Oil on exhaust??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 03:41 AM
murphc13
Tourer
Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Stumped!!Oil on exhaust??

Hello people.A main dealer recently did an oil service on my bike.Also had an engine accent kit fitted by same dealer.
I noticed afterwards there was some oil mist on my exhaust headers right in front of the transmission cover but also closer to the front of the pipes at the bend.
I've checked the main engine oil and was over filled.I have since brought it to correct level buy problem still persists.
Then I checked T oil.Also over filled.Ive brought that to the correct level also.The issue still persists but after the 1 spin I've done after correcting the T oil level the oil mist in the pipes is less than before.Any ideas?
I've removed the air cleaner also and it's not it.No excess oil in there.
Of course the bike will be going back to rhe dealer but id rather get it sorted myself if possible.Especially if its something small.

Last edited by murphc13; 05-28-2023 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-28-2023, 05:34 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 607 Posts

What about that rubber hose about 4 inches above oil on exhaust pipe?

Old 05-28-2023, 05:40 AM
murphc13
Tourer

Originally Posted by im
What about that rubber hose about 4 inches above oil on exhaust pipe?
That's only a rubber hose I cut to size covering some lock wire I have locking the oil dip stick to the adjacent bolt.

Old 05-28-2023, 05:42 AM
DeeRoe
Road Master

Received 759 Likes on 285 Posts

Could very well be coming from the intake/air cleaner area, because the oil (as you stated) was overfilled. Feel around the bottom of your air cleaner to see if there is oil on it.
Most folks under fill their oil by 1/2 qt. To avoid the dreaded “blow-by”….plenty of threads about this.

One more reason to service your own bike to make sure it’s correct.

Good lookin skoot, BTW

Old 05-28-2023, 06:05 AM
murphc13
Tourer

Originally Posted by DeeRoe
Could very well be coming from the intake/air cleaner area, because the oil (as you stated) was overfilled. Feel around the bottom of your air cleaner to see if there is oil on it.
Most folks under fill their oil by 1/2 qt. To avoid the dreaded “blow-by”….plenty of threads about this.

One more reason to service your own bike to make sure it’s correct.

Good lookin skoot, BTW
The bike is new and got its 1st service at the dealer late last year.The service this time(when they over filled it) was done in their error.**** happens no big deal.I said in my thread that i checked and removed the air cleaner also.No excess oil in there.

Old 05-28-2023, 06:14 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,647 Likes on 3,884 Posts

With that kind of service, I would be getting me a service manual, doing YouTube videos and doing it myself. Least that first part what I did starting way back in 1964.

Take a good look under and look for loose oil that may be blowing around.

Did you check levels as described in owners manuals. It has to be really overfilled to blow out.

Check around and under oil filter. It's hard to catch a little escaping when they screw it off. That should have been cleaned up.

If you clean it and still see fluid, with a cup wrench, loosen filter till just about 3/4 turn just so you can turn to no play and then turn 3/4 tight.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-28-2023 at 06:19 AM.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:10 AM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,453 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Your picture looks like an oily rag touched it to me. Clean it up and go for a ride.

The following 5 users liked this post by 702:
Astro Glide (05-28-2023), Buster (05-28-2023), DeeRoe (05-29-2023), M Oclaf (05-28-2023), pgreer (05-29-2023)
Old 05-28-2023, 07:41 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,655 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Originally Posted by murphc13
Hello people.A main dealer recently did an oil service on my bike.Also had an engine accent kit fitted by same dealer.
I noticed afterwards there was some oil mist on my exhaust headers right in front of the transmission cover but also closer to the front of the pipes at the bend.
I've checked the main engine oil and was over filled.I have since brought it to correct level buy problem still persists.
Then I checked T oil.Also over filled.Ive brought that to the correct level also.The issue still persists but after the 1 spin I've done after correcting the T oil level the oil mist in the pipes is less than before.Any ideas?
I've removed the air cleaner also and it's not it.No excess oil in there.
Of course the bike will be going back to rhe dealer but id rather get it sorted myself if possible.Especially if its something small.

What parts were involved in the accent kit?

Old 05-28-2023, 08:03 AM
murphc13
Tourer

Originally Posted by barneyboy
What parts were involved in the accent kit?
This
https://www.harley-davidson.com/ie/e...kit/p/92500122

I had to buy the black push rod covers separately from Harley also.

Old 05-28-2023, 08:06 AM
murphc13
Tourer

Originally Posted by Jackie Paper
With that kind of service, I would be getting me a service manual, doing YouTube videos and doing it myself. Least that first part what I did starting way back in 1964.

Take a good look under and look for loose oil that may be blowing around.

Did you check levels as described in owners manuals. It has to be really overfilled to blow out.

Check around and under oil filter. It's hard to catch a little escaping when they screw it off. That should have been cleaned up.

If you clean it and still see fluid, with a cup wrench, loosen filter till just about 3/4 turn just so you can turn to no play and then turn 3/4 tight.
There was some oil under the sump that i cleaned up when i looked around.
I have a service manual that I bought recently.The bike went in for the engine accent kit but they did an oil change by mistake and I had to cone back a different day for the accent kit(which was all I wanted).I've worked on my own bikes previously and I've fitted some parts to this bike myself but I thought '**** it...I'll pay Harley to do the engine kit as the bike is so new'.Also Harleys are new to me.

Quick Reply: Stumped!!Oil on exhaust??