2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Amazon Rack Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 02:18 PM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
So you can change from rack to backrest to only the docking points, right? But with this setup, you cannot have BOTH backrest and rack at the same time, right?

Jim G
yes, you cant run both at same time.. the givi trunk i used i have a backrest pad for but havent nstalled it yet

Old 04-01-2024, 10:27 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Probably helps with wheelies!

Old 04-02-2024, 11:24 AM
Powermankw
Advanced
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been looking for something I can Tay a bag on. I only ride solo and most stuff goes with 2 up. I don't need to hang it off the back. This way makes sense to lay your bag across on seat like you say... But I don't have that. There are rack to it on fender, but then need to lay sideways across hard bags. I don't really care for sissy bar, but that might be all... And those are generally 2 up again.

Old 04-02-2024, 03:01 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 198 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Powermankw
I've been looking for something I can Tay a bag on. I only ride solo and most stuff goes with 2 up. I don't need to hang it off the back. This way makes sense to lay your bag across on seat like you say... But I don't have that. There are rack to it on fender, but then need to lay sideways across hard bags. I don't really care for sissy bar, but that might be all... And those are generally 2 up again.
Although the sissybars are indeed desgined for "2-up" seats, by the time you put your luggage bag onto the passenger portion, in front of the sissy bar, you then get a backrest for yourself. Plus, the height of the passenger seat keeps the bag from touching any side saddle bags you might have, and also your fender paint.

See my posting on this topic at:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-solution.html

Jim G

Jim G

The following users liked this post:
Powermankw (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 04:28 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,277 Likes on 831 Posts

Sure you can toss a duffle across the passenger seat and drape it over onto the saddlebags. Nothing wrong with doing that.
About the only drawback to that is it can make getting into the saddlebags a little difficult with the duffle bag there.

Powermankw (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 06:24 PM
Powermankw
Advanced

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Sure you can toss a duffle across the passenger seat and drape it over onto the saddlebags. Nothing wrong with doing that.
About the only drawback to that is it can make getting into the saddlebags a little difficult with the duffle bag there.
Sure, but they are just plastic and I don't want to hose the finish. That is an obvious choice, but if I had a magic wand it would be a luggage rack type rack... Like on tour pack... That would extend over the hard bags a bit. Hummm... ****... I have seen the same type rack for tour packs for solo seats... I wonder if I could bolt a luggage rack to it just lay stuff across? That would not look get to, but I would only do this every now and then. I bet I could fab up my own type of rack. Like that just extended the length of clam shell openings on each side. Then if it's detachable like this topic one it would just put it on, strap my bag down, and go.

Old 04-02-2024, 06:53 PM
Powermankw
Advanced

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Although the sissybars are indeed desgined for "2-up" seats, by the time you put your luggage bag onto the passenger portion, in front of the sissy bar, you then get a backrest for yourself. Plus, the height of the passenger seat keeps the bag from touching any side saddle bags you might have, and also your fender paint.

See my posting on this topic at:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-solution.html

Jim G

Jim G
And I thought I wrote a lot... 😁. That's not an insult. Thank you! I actually agree with a lot of that reasoning. I've thought the same. I have dry bags from jet skis. I did think sissy bar and big dry bag would certainly work. I don't know if I will do the sissy bar thing. I don't want a passenger seat... But I do get the advantages and it is detachable. I like the fact it is a "stop" for a bag.

But I definitely love the bag. Duhh... What a great easy solution! Better than just a dry bag. And yes, plenty big enough. My large "day" pack is 36L. Most carry on are 1800-2000 ish ci. Any solution serving as a back rest seems like a no-brainer. I'm glad I said something, thank you for sharing that!

Old 04-02-2024, 07:06 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 198 Likes on 128 Posts

And I thought I wrote a lot... 😁. That's not an insult. Thank you! I actually agree with a lot of that reasoning. I've thought the same. I have dry bags from jet skis. I did think sissy bar and big dry bag would certainly work. I don't know if I will do the sissy bar thing. I don't want a passenger seat... But I do get the advantages and it is detachable. I like the fact it is a "stop" for a bag.

But I definitely love the bag. Duhh... What a great easy solution! Better than just a dry bag. And yes, plenty big enough. My large "day" pack is 36L. Most carry on are 1800-2000 ish ci. Any solution serving as a back rest seems like a no-brainer. I'm glad I said something, thank you for sharing that!
Glad it helped you. That's what the forum is all about: helping each other find solutions.

Jim G

Powermankw (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 08:38 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,277 Likes on 831 Posts

Sure, but they are just plastic and I don't want to hose the finish. That is an obvious choice, but if I had a magic wand it would be a luggage rack type rack... Like on tour pack... That would extend over the hard bags a bit. Hummm... ****... I have seen the same type rack for tour packs for solo seats... I wonder if I could bolt a luggage rack to it just lay stuff across? That would not look get to, but I would only do this every now and then. I bet I could fab up my own type of rack. Like that just extended the length of clam shell openings on each side. Then if it's detachable like this topic one it would just put it on, strap my bag down, and go.
If you're traveling solo, a rack that sits where the passenger seat normally does might be the ticket for you. Again, quick release type. I think Harley does offer one of these, but otherwise they are available on the aftermarket. Put a board or such across it and drop the duffle on the board.

You can be interestingly creative with adding a backrest for you onto a mid-mount rack. You can even extend it somewhat rearward if you wish, or just use a bigger board (or counter top piece, etc).

I've seen it done where a piano hinge was used so the wings of the board could be folded in for narrow storage and use.

By all means, be creative!

Powermankw (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 09:25 PM
Powermankw
Advanced

Ya, I had to go look. From where a good back rest should be, to the end of the fender is 2 feet. So I could extend it more... But 2 foot for bag. And clam shell to clam shell is 17 inches across. So plenty of room to throw something on there. And yes, even securing a simple board with an end to stop it, lean on it. Ya, I like it. I'll get something together. Use a solo bracket like the OP, and get suitable platform for a suitable dry bag like show... Should be good to go.

I'm riding with a couple friends to OK in May. But a couple more friends are driving. So I said at worst I can have them take a bag. But this sounds like a good weekend trip to try it out and see how it works for me. My wife has a tri glide. That alone should get us through a weekend. But strapping a bag on is more than reasonable.

So thanks a bunch for all the help guys. I'll post up when I get it together.