2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Overly sensitive throttle-by-wire

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 09:27 AM
Wmitz
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

I know that with the PV there is a switch for the torque based ETC, as well as throttle blade adjustments. I have experimented with it both ways. Torque based, seems to be more reactive , jerky/twitchy. Turning off the torque based etc definitely is smoother. I also made a slight blade adjustment around idle.

Old 04-26-2024, 11:48 AM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by SJC69
There are, they are tuners such as Dynojet, V&H Fuel packs etc. as well as any tuning device that can flash or amend the ECU program or amend the the throttle tables.

Basically the H-D fly-by wire throttle in this case operates by low voltage electrical signals, with two basically mechanical electrical devices, controlled by the ECU and pre-programmed tables of how it is to operate.

The throttle sensor is basically a variable resistor controlled by being turned by the twist grips which alters the electrical signal to the ECU, the ECU reads this signal and uses the pre-programed tables as well as considering other various inputs and then sends out an electrical signal to infect a a mechanical stepping motor which then physically moves the throttle blade.

The main control of the throttle that can be easily changed is those installed throttle tables, this will effect how and when and what speed in response the actual throttle blade in the throttle body moves in relation to the position and speed the twist grip is turned.

In the case of the V&H Fuel Pack 3 they gave the option of a simplified adjustment of the throttle settings to preset tables in various stages form an aggressive throttle response, such as Race to Custom with Standard and Standard Plus being the nearest to stock tables and operation, you can also read and amend these tables individually cell, by cell giving the capability of adjusting very precise areas and parameters, this is how you may be able to in effect 'tune out' an issue.

The earlier M8 Tourers there was a known issue of problems with the throttle sensor not responding correctly.
I miss the potted gain modules with gain screws. Too much software for moi.

The following 2 users liked this post by Old New Rider:
Goose_NC (04-26-2024), SJC69 (04-27-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 01:05 PM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Old New Rider
You'd think by now engine programmers would have come up with a good, average response gain. Instead, motorcycles are over-gained twitchy, and trucks are under-gained hesitant (hence the proliferation of throttle tuners for truck ecms).

Seeing all the comments about twitchy Harley's leads me to think they come off the floor over-gained, i.e., it's not loose connectors or something else. Anyone know of aftermarket throttle gain ecm apps?
The 2024 models have "modes" where, among other things, those parameters are adjusted by the ride mode selected.

Old 04-26-2024, 04:59 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Maybe the only new feature I would be interested in,,,

Old 04-26-2024, 05:12 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by cwsharp
Maybe the only new feature I would be interested in,,,
I had a BMW K1600B that had 3 modes. Rain, Normal & Dynamic. I never took it out of Dynamic. Not even while riding in the rain. Maybe other people mess with the various modes, but to me they are just a sales gimic. Don't get me wrong, there was a definite difference in the way the bike rode with different modes, but I never saw the need to take it out of the Dynamic mode.

Zach

Old 04-29-2024, 08:44 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

I have a FP3 on my Road King, I adjusted it and it did help. I also have a 2020 Sport Glide, no FP3 , just stock. Yes it's a bit twitchy, but I'm use to it now, no big deal for me.

Old 04-29-2024, 05:24 PM
Candubrain
Road Captain
Received 152 Likes on 79 Posts

I had this issue with a stock 2018 M8 Heritage Classic. I found it was caused by the throttle handgrip being too sloppy, Solved it by loosening the brake housing and controls and moved them slightly inboard, but still having enough clearance so that the throttle could turn freely back to a fully closed position.

Easy to check, if not this, I don't know. Good luck
brian