Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle dies, high rpms

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 06:24 PM
EdsRoadGlide2017
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Default throttle dies, high rpms

I posted about a week ago about my throttle sensor install by the dealer. I got the bike back and they did a great job, but it didn't solve my problem.
I've been riding around for a couple of days and my idle was out of sync. It's been about a year since I replaced the spark plugs, so I got a new stock set and put them in today.
Still my idle was choppy. Finally the more I was riding around it seemed to get worse. I pulled off from a red light and the throttle died. The rpms were at about 3000 and the throttle was non functional. I pulled over and tapped around the throttle body and the rpms came down and I was able to ride normally for a short time. The throttle died on me 3 times on a 10 mile ride home.
I have a 2010 Street Glide. Has anyone heard of this? Could it be the actual throttle body? Before taking it in for the throttle sensor I sprayed the **** out of the throttle body with cleaner. It didn't solve the problem then. I don't expect it to work this time. Thanks in advance for the replies.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:31 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

I'm sorry I'm scetchy on this having not experienced it. But im pretty sure I've read of issues with the tps and the wiring/connections that cause similar problems.
Hopefully someone with experience will post but maybe that will at least give you something to check.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:41 PM
EdsRoadGlide2017
Tourer

Originally Posted by ORradtech
I'm sorry I'm scetchy on this having not experienced it. But im pretty sure I've read of issues with the tps and the wiring/connections that cause similar problems.
Hopefully someone with experience will post but maybe that will at least give you something to check.
Thank you for your reply. When it first happened my buddy was helping me out. He is more mechanical than I am. We did get codes for the tps and something else that I don't recall (eci maybe). He figured it as the throttle sensor. Thanks again.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:53 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

What do mean by your idle being 'choppy'? There's a thread on this page about the throttle body servo cannon plug problem...VERY detailed and informative...take a peek, might solve your problem.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:59 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Is it throwing any codes now?

Old 08-22-2017, 08:02 PM
SnapOn Man
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by EdsStreetGlide2010
I posted about a week ago about my throttle sensor install by the dealer. I got the bike back and they did a great job, but it didn't solve my problem.
I've been riding around for a couple of days and my idle was out of sync. It's been about a year since I replaced the spark plugs, so I got a new stock set and put them in today.
Still my idle was choppy. Finally the more I was riding around it seemed to get worse. I pulled off from a red light and the throttle died. The rpms were at about 3000 and the throttle was non functional. I pulled over and tapped around the throttle body and the rpms came down and I was able to ride normally for a short time. The throttle died on me 3 times on a 10 mile ride home.
I have a 2010 Street Glide. Has anyone heard of this? Could it be the actual throttle body? Before taking it in for the throttle sensor I sprayed the **** out of the throttle body with cleaner. It didn't solve the problem then. I don't expect it to work this time. Thanks in advance for the replies.

I had the same problem on my '09 Road King. Turns out, it was the Pins that are in the connector for the TPS. Really inexpensive fix, about $20 in parts and maybe an hour or so labor.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:43 PM
EdsRoadGlide2017
Tourer

Originally Posted by Veekness
What do mean by your idle being 'choppy'? There's a thread on this page about the throttle body servo cannon plug problem...VERY detailed and informative...take a peek, might solve your problem.
choppy meaning it wasn't in sync. It sounded like the engine was going to cut off and eventually it did. Thank you for the referral.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:44 PM
EdsRoadGlide2017
Tourer

Originally Posted by SnapOn Man
I had the same problem on my '09 Road King. Turns out, it was the Pins that are in the connector for the TPS. Really inexpensive fix, about $20 in parts and maybe an hour or so labor.
that sounds awesome. Thank you.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:45 PM
EdsRoadGlide2017
Tourer

Originally Posted by SBates08
Is it throwing any codes now?
ill have to take a look. TY

Old 08-22-2017, 08:50 PM
EdsRoadGlide2017
Tourer

Originally Posted by Veekness
can you give me a link? I put it in search and nothing came up.

Quick Reply: throttle dies, high rpms