Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Accel Ignition Wires

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:06 PM
thecabinboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accel Ignition Wires

Ibought the Accel 300+ ignition wires that fits a 1999-Present Buell,Dyna Partnumber175097 to change back to black from orange wires rode home less than 3 miles and readon this forum thatthis might cause problems with the knock sensor on a new bike, I am to **** about the bike so took them off. H-D did not have a answer, one parts guy said not to run them and the dude next to him at the counter said the first was crazy and go for it. What do you guys thinkam I OK run them? they cost me $29.00and hate to feel like I pissed the money away. I am back to running S.E. wires now. Thanks, Jeff

Old 10-12-2007, 11:45 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Accel Ignition Wires

As long as they are spiral core wire they are fine.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:48 AM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

WHY bother.[8D] You`ll gain nothing, but loose/waste money. Take them back and save the money for a real performance enhancement....JMO

Old 10-13-2007, 02:55 PM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to run em, run em. You wont do any harm, the worst you will get is it will throw an error code with the engine warning light. If that happens just change back, but I strongly suspect you will be ok. The problem arises because some wires and plug combinations fool the ecm into thinking you have pre-ignition or knock as you say. It dosent mean you have a real problem but the ecm just thinks you have.

Wb

Old 10-13-2007, 07:11 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: WildBill2566

If you want to run em, run em. You wont do any harm, the worst you will get is it will throw an error code with the engine warning light. If that happens just change back, but I strongly suspect you will be ok. The problem arises because some wires and plug combinations fool the ecm into thinking you have pre-ignition or knock as you say. It dosent mean you have a real problem but the ecm just thinks you have.

Wb
That`s impossible. Wires and plugs have no direct relation to the ECM. The ECM controls spark signal to the coil, but reads pre-ignition through the knock sensor. This would need to be an actual fault(spark-knock)to be detected.
Wire resistance will cause misfires due toincompatibility issues. The ECM has no way of knowing what the resistance of the wire or plugs are. It detects misfires by reading crank signalswith the crank sensor. No ignition signal feedback to the ECM is available beyond the knockand crank sensor signals.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:47 PM
thecabinboy
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: drdiesel1

Wb
That`s impossible. Wires and plugs have no direct relation to the ECM. The ECM controls spark signal to the coil, but reads pre-ignition through the knock sensor. This would need to be an actual fault(spark-knock)to be detected.
Wire resistance will cause misfires due toincompatibility issues. The ECM has no way of knowing what the resistance of the wire or plugs are. It detects misfires by reading crank signalswith the crank sensor. No ignition signal feedback to the ECM is available beyond the knockand crank sensor signals.
drdiesel does that mean I'm OK?

Old 10-13-2007, 09:21 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: thecabinboy

Wb
drdiesel does that mean I'm OK?
If you have no misfire problems, I would say yes. Get an OHM meter, check the OE and AM wires to see if they are the same.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:25 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wires and plugs have no direct relation to the ECM. The ECM controls spark signal to the coil, but reads pre-ignition through the knock sensor. This would need to be an actual fault (spark-knock) to be detected.

[the ECM] detects misfires by reading crank signals with the crank sensor. No ignition signal feedback to the ECM is available beyond the knock and crank sensor signals.
How familiar are you with "Delphi's Ionization Current Sensing Ignition Subsystem" (i.e. "no sensor knock sensing")? It uses the plugs/wires to take measurements immediately following the spark.

https://delphi.com/shared/pdf/ppd/pwrtrn/gas_ignics.pdf

Old 10-14-2007, 12:13 AM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: glens

Wires and plugs have no direct relation to the ECM. The ECM controls spark signal to the coil, but reads pre-ignition through the knock sensor. This would need to be an actual fault(spark-knock)to be detected.

[the ECM] detects misfires by reading crank signalswith the crank sensor. No ignition signal feedback to the ECM is available beyond the knockand crank sensor signals.
How familiar are you with "Delphi's Ionization Current Sensing Ignition Subsystem" (i.e. "no sensor knock sensing")? It uses the plugs/wires to take measurements immediately following the spark.

https://delphi.com/shared/pdf/ppd/pwrtrn/gas_ignics.pdf
On an H-D...???? Currently not a production item....Maybe in 2009 or so.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:45 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old news...
[should have captured both images before posting]

[IMG]local://upfiles/36555/1593CCE9B7F646E0BFC105E3CCC67D65.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/36555/377A27F03978463CA6BFBD11848026C2.gif[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Accel Ignition Wires