Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biketronics speakers stock HU

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 07:44 PM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Biketronics speakers stock HU

I have made changes to my 02 Ultra by swapping out the old cassette and put in a Harmon Kardon. I know many would say why, but, that is the route I wanted in order to have Ipod control via the Iron Cross module. I did have the HU updated at Iron Cross along with adding pre-amp outputs front and rear. Compared to the older radio the HK sounds great with the increase in available wattage. (I swapped out speakers to the proper Ohm).

I am looking at going Biketronics all the way for future upgrades, especially the 4 channel amp. Considering the money I am going to have to wait. I am wondering has anyone upgraded to either the 6.5" or 7.1 Biketronics and run them with the stock HU?

Neil
RDMC

Old 05-30-2015, 08:36 PM
Marks57
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil
I have made changes to my 02 Ultra by swapping out the old cassette and put in a Harmon Kardon. I know many would say why, but, that is the route I wanted in order to have Ipod control via the Iron Cross module. I did have the HU updated at Iron Cross along with adding pre-amp outputs front and rear. Compared to the older radio the HK sounds great with the increase in available wattage. (I swapped out speakers to the proper Ohm).

I am looking at going Biketronics all the way for future upgrades, especially the 4 channel amp. Considering the money I am going to have to wait. I am wondering has anyone upgraded to either the 6.5" or 7.1 Biketronics and run them with the stock HU?

Neil
RDMC

Yes, I upgraded to the 7.1's and 2180 amp about 2-3 weeks ago and really had no intention of upgrading the HU. Don't get me wrong, the speakers and amp sound great, but I do notice what all the audio Guru's on this forum talked about. When I start to crank it to a moderately loud volume, I do hear distortion that is coming from the stock HU. It's not the speakers or amps fault, they are doing their job, but "garbage in....garbage out". It just makes sense that the amplified signal of a poor quality source will leave you wanting more.

I just upgraded to the Kenwood KDC-X998, but haven't installed it yet. I know I will get great results when I install it tomorrow or Monday. Hope this helps.

Mark

Old 05-30-2015, 10:14 PM
Neil
Road Captain

I'm hoping that by having the pre-amp outputs installed on the HU that the signal will be better because the amp will be receiving a non-amplified and theoretically cleaner signal.

I was more curious if anyone has powered a set of either 6.5 or the 7.1 with just the HK unit, no amp? I know not the ideal setup, but, it would be a beginning.

Neil
RDMC

Old 05-31-2015, 07:40 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I ran the 7.1p on a sony head Unit before I added the amp few weeks later and it sounded great but the sony is 55by4

Old 05-31-2015, 08:41 AM
Neil
Road Captain

50x4 is close to the HK unit I believe. If memory serves me correct the HK unit is 40 watts per. Thanks.

Neil
RDMC

Old 05-31-2015, 10:13 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

not even close to 50x4.. that stock head unit is about 13x4 and about 25x4 max with 90 - 100 % distortion.

As for your initial question, it will work fine and you're headed down the right path. The speakers will make a bit of a difference no doubt mainly because of the properties of the speaker itself but the size as well. In almost every case, a speaker with a larger magnet is going to provide for much improved sound quality.

I always tell people two things.

1. buy what you can afford to buy when you can afford to buy it.
2. if you have $500 to spend on a setup, then the majority of that should be spent on good quality speakers as that sets the foundation for further upgrades without having to replace the speakers again.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:50 PM
Marks57
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
not even close to 50x4.. that stock head unit is about 13x4 and about 25x4 max with 90 - 100 % distortion.

As for your initial question, it will work fine and you're headed down the right path. The speakers will make a bit of a difference no doubt mainly because of the properties of the speaker itself but the size as well. In almost every case, a speaker with a larger magnet is going to provide for much improved sound quality.

I always tell people two things.

1. buy what you can afford to buy when you can afford to buy it.
2. if you have $500 to spend on a setup, then the majority of that should be spent on good quality speakers as that sets the foundation for further upgrades without having to replace the speakers again.

+1 what he said

Old 05-31-2015, 04:24 PM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I wouldn't bother just replacing the speakers to be honest. Especially if putting in the 7.1's in.. The stock harley radio just doesn't have the power to drive them and if you crank it up high its just going to distort like crazy. I've been there. If you buy the 7.1's now, I would just wait until you can afford an amp before putting them in. My opinion - But ask me how I know?

Honestly - I wasn't happy at all with my sound until I did the ICA pre-amp output.. that mod is a necessity if you want decent audio from the stock HU. Of course, if you do that, an AMP is required to get any sort of volume. I ended up having them do the bluetooth mod as well.

Agree with the others though in that you should buy the good stuff when you get the money. I have the stock HU with pre-amp outputs from ICA, Biketronics 4180, 7.1's in the front, and Infinity Kappa's in the rear. The system rocks.. A new HU would sound better, but I wanted to keep CB functionality and this is honestly the best you will do without swapping the HU.

So my advice? Get the 7.1's.. but know if you put them in you will charge up a credit card to get the AMP and ICA Pre-amp's installed ASAP..

Old 05-31-2015, 08:35 PM
Neil
Road Captain

Fortunately when I was planning the initial stage, i.e. moving to the HK unit I sent it to Iron Cross to be updated to be able to work with my 02. While there I pre-planned and had the RCA outs installed. I too want to be able to keep the Ultra features intact so I stuck with the HK.

On a different subject, I have been looking at V-twin audio speaker adapters for 6.5" speakers for the rear pods. I was thinking the Biketronics 6.5 for the rear if they will fit. Any idea anyone??

Neil
RDMC

Old 05-31-2015, 09:28 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil
Fortunately when I was planning the initial stage, i.e. moving to the HK unit I sent it to Iron Cross to be updated to be able to work with my 02. While there I pre-planned and had the RCA outs installed. I too want to be able to keep the Ultra features intact so I stuck with the HK.

On a different subject, I have been looking at V-twin audio speaker adapters for 6.5" speakers for the rear pods. I was thinking the Biketronics 6.5 for the rear if they will fit. Any idea anyone??

Neil
RDMC
They will fit with the V Twin adapters.

Quick Reply: Biketronics speakers stock HU