Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM/Sirius for Boom audio on Road King

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 03:17 PM
johnson27
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XM/Sirius for Boom audio on Road King

I've spent most of my work afternoon searching the forum, looking for an easy way to run xm/Sirius to my windshield mounted boom audio cruiser amp system.
I like using my phone or ipod, but the music is limited to whatever I download...and we have xm/Sirius in all our cars and would really like it on my 07 Road King.
The Harley handlebar mount unit specifically says not for use with my Boom audio system...so, I'm looking for suggestions as to a good mobile xm/Sirius unit that I can handlebar mount just the same way I mount my phone/ipod.
Anyone already done this? Maybe some tips/pics/recommendations?
Thanks, this is a pic of the speaker system I have....

Thanks
John

Old 08-01-2015, 07:49 AM
tdgriff
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XM/Sirius for Boom audio on Road King

I would go to Best buy and pick one up . They have 3 or 4 different models .

Old 08-01-2015, 07:56 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

I think I remember Sirius offering a component at a significantly reduced price with activation

Old 08-01-2015, 10:58 AM
pp6000v2
Cruiser

If you're already using your phone, the XM app is potentially your easiest and cleanest way to accomplish this. All the broadcast channels and some internet-only channels. It is unfortunately an add-on cost to your subscription, but there is the trial period for you to experiment and see if it's a solution you like.

If not the app on your phone, I used to use an Onyx receiver mounted on my handlebars. XM will usually have a free hardware offer when you agree to a 3 or 6-month plan to add a radio, which is how I acquired that receiver years ago.

As for the Boom XM handlebar kit, I really can't see any reason why it wouldn't work with the windshield speaker system. The harness it comes with has a plug on it to adapt to either hardwiring or cig outlet plug, and as you've successfully installed the speaker system, I assume you have the wherewithal to figure out how to wire this kit up. The only hiccup I could see is that the harness has a male 3.5mm jack coming out of it, and the speakers also use a male jack to connect to a source device. You'd need a female to female cable to adapt, but heck, that's specifically called out as required for you to use the Boom receiver in a car. Otherwise, this kit is just a simple external audio source that only needs power and audio cables connected.

It's $300 list and $250 at Kutter/Boardtracker HD, and it's waterproof, so if you can justify the cost, take a look at the installation sheet and determine for yourself if you think you can make it work:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/app-c...ts/-J03989.PDF

Old 08-03-2015, 10:35 AM
johnson27
Advanced
Default conflicting information...???

Thanks for the replies.
I looked at the satellite radio handlebar mount 76390-05A on the Harley Davidson website, which specifically says not for use with the system I have....but, if I read the comments/reviews, two users with similar systems(02 Road King, 09 Road King) basically did exactly what I'm looking to accomplish.
So, I might swing by the dealer and talk to the parts/service guys to see how easy this addition would be.
Also, looking at the installation instructions, there are several pages of wiring the Harley XM unit to softails and dynas.....
Still don't understand why it wouldn't work.
I have an email into the parts/service guy as of today.

Thanks
John

Last edited by johnson27; 08-03-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:07 AM
johnson27
Advanced
Default Parts and Accessories Catalog. 2012

So, after some online searching, I found that the exact same part number (76390-05A) is listed in the 2012 P&A catalog as being totally compatible with the Boom Audio Cruiser Amp and Speaker kit. Go Figure?

I have an email into the parts guy (he was in Sturgis last week). I have a trip coming up in 8 days and would LOVE to have XM/Sirius up and running.

J27