Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM/Advanced Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:24 PM
DFTL20
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM/Advanced Audio System

I was hoping to get some feedback from someone at Harley but have had no luck at this point. Can anyone tell me what is included in the XM Advanced Audio System upgrade and can I do this myself. I have a Sirius Starmate 4 mounted on my handlebar and am experience issues with the vibration of the unit and the AUX IN cable. I prefer to have a cleaner look on my handlebar but wanted the satellite radio. Since I had a spare radio in the garage the handlebar kit seemed like the best solution. With the companies merged I am ready to re-evaluate the XM system but $499 is a little steep. Any help and feedback would be appreciated.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:06 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

I've looked into this as well. But, as you say, $499 is a bit steep when you can get a RAM mount and receiver for under $100. I seem to recall that HD may have reduced the actual price from that which is posted in the catalog. I want to say $300. I also seem to recall there was a complimentary subscription of three months.

I seldom listen to radio unless I am heading down a long straight highway, and most trips are under two hours,so a CD works for me. Not worth the money for me to add the HD unit. By the way, I think that additional module is plug and play.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:12 PM
60mike06FLHX
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I had a small unit on the handlebar, I did not like it, it was hard to change stations especially with gloves. I sold it on e-bay and purchased the HD unit. You can install it yourself. The dealer does not have to program any thing, it is a plug and play. It takes more time to remove the fairing than to install the unit. It is pricey but it does a nice job. The sound is better also. You will also need the harness another $50 +/-. you can get them on line for 20% off at several dealers. Good Luck.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:19 PM
hoz88
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The XM module works very well - the fact that all of the functions can be controled by the handle bar controls was the selling point for my. XM itself kinda sucks if you are used to Sirius (and I am - had Sirius for 4 years) but it is still better than terrestrial radio!!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:49 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 204 Posts

If you want some info on the merger, check this out.

http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=93780

Old 08-28-2008, 07:44 AM
DFTL20
Cruiser

Thanks for the feedback. Can anyone direct me to one of the on-line retailers that may save me some money on this equipment?

Old 08-28-2008, 08:13 AM
hdatontodo
Advanced

Look up the part no's in advance and go to

http://www.surdyke.com

Tony
http://www.tontodonato.com

Old 08-30-2008, 12:25 PM
kuspie
Novice

Originally Posted by 60mike06FLHX
I had a small unit on the handlebar, I did not like it, it was hard to change stations especially with gloves. I sold it on e-bay and purchased the HD unit. You can install it yourself. The dealer does not have to program any thing, it is a plug and play. It takes more time to remove the fairing than to install the unit. It is pricey but it does a nice job. The sound is better also. You will also need the harness another $50 +/-. you can get them on line for 20% off at several dealers. Good Luck.
I assume that this is the one that's being discussed??
http://*******.com/5pxwyv (click on Zoom to see the actual XM unit)

My question is, does it need the wiring harness as well?
http://*******.com/68z7sr

Mine is the '07 FLHTCUI w/ the Advanced Audio Radio. BTW, the XM unit is $399 at chicagoHD.com

Old 08-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Mr Zip
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have it, and yah, you can install it yourself if you're handy. THe sensor mounts underneath the fairing and its just a module that works with the stereo.

I dig it. Its nice to have the stations, and some of my favorite rides have been being out in BFE and listening to hockey games on XM. Its nice to have the same radio station for a few thousand miles.

My only beef with it is its not quite as loud on my 40 watt speaks on the street glide, as say radio, IPOD or a CD. My bike is also pretty loud too, so that may be part of the problem. May be better on a 80 watt Ultra or so, I dunno. To me, it was worth every penny I paid for it.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:38 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

+1 on the HD unit. I bought an express rc from xm at $165 (FOR SALE BY THE WAY. NEW IN BOX)to put on the bars and didnt like the cluttered look especially with a V1 and my zumo. The hd was pricey but you pay for what you get, a clean, plug n play unit that uses oem controls and you dont have to worry about locking it up each time you stop.

Quick Reply: XM/Advanced Audio System