Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help external speaker out into AUX

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 01:05 PM
bladeguy
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default help external speaker out into AUX

I purchased a Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio with the intent of using the AUX input to my Sony MEX70-BT head unit as input from the external speaker plug on the unit. Upon reading the manual I see the following: "The eternal speaker should have 4-8 ohms impedance and be able to handle at least 4 watts." Do I need some sort of doohickey (technical term) in between the EXT speaker output and the AUX input?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:40 AM
HDSAE60
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The input impedance is way more than 8 ohms and should be fine. The audio output may be to much drive for the for the input of the amp inside your head unit. Just start out with the HU volume at the mid point, turn the CB volume to the lowest setting, open the Sq so you have some audio then slowly start turning up the volume on the CB till it sounds clean. Remember what the volume was on the CB and never turn it up any higher. Too much drive will blow the AUX amp input. Use the HU volume at any level you need. Just don't turn the CB up too much.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:10 AM
bladeguy
Tourer

Originally Posted by HDSAE60
The input impedance is way more than 8 ohms and should be fine. The audio output may be to much drive for the for the input of the amp inside your head unit. Just start out with the HU volume at the mid point, turn the CB volume to the lowest setting, open the Sq so you have some audio then slowly start turning up the volume on the CB till it sounds clean. Remember what the volume was on the CB and never turn it up any higher. Too much drive will blow the AUX amp input. Use the HU volume at any level you need. Just don't turn the CB up too much.
I found a 24 db attenuator cable. Think that would do it? I don't want to have a system where I can accidentally turn up my volume and blow out my system. I need an idiot proof system (yes I am an idiot lol)

Old 06-05-2016, 08:12 AM
bladeguy
Tourer

What about the voltage - it is way more.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:09 PM
bladeguy
Tourer

I decided to try buying a small external speaker - it was only $17. I hooked everything up and it sounds like it may be loud enough to hear on the road. My plan is to set it in the windshield bag. After some test runs with the bag open I will drill holes in the top of the bag to allow the sound out and cover with waterproof mesh. Obviously a step down in the Aux can be done because the Cobra speakers have an ear-bud output. However, those speakers are too big for me - and besides I don't want a speaker at all when headed into AUX. I like the idea of having the CB completely independent from the stereo. If I am interested in the CB I can mute the stereo if I hear something.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:02 PM
HDSAE60
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bladeguy
What about the voltage - it is way more.
Audio output/voltage is way more, but he asked about ohms and watts.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:18 AM
bladeguy
Tourer

Audio output/voltage is way more, but he asked about ohms and watts.
Yes my bad. Rephrase - is it okay to run this into AUX? If not what do I have to do?