Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bridged 4 channel amp ..

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 02:50 PM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Bridged 4 channel amp ..

Question is those that are using a Nvx mvpa4 or a JL mx 280x4 in a bridge configuration are you running one set of rca to one channel on amp and running amp in two channel mode and if you are wired this way are you getting stereo output or mono output ???

Or are you using y splitters out of both channels of amp and splitting one channel of head unit to each input and running in 4 channel mode and getting stereo output ?

Which way is the correct way to run a 4 channel amp when bridged ?

Old 01-03-2017, 03:06 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Either in 2 or 4 channel mode make sure if you are running splitters you are using a right RCA output to the right input and the same for the left.

The he mistake that often happens if that off a splitter you have two outputs but if they are both left out puts that won't work.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:33 PM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain

Anybody tell me if is possible to use rear output of head unit l/h and r/h going to same on amp meaning only one channel on amp run amp in 2 channel and the end result be stereo sound out of the two bridged speakers???

Old 01-03-2017, 11:04 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYINGBROKE
Anybody tell me if is possible to use rear output of head unit l/h and r/h going to same on amp meaning only one channel on amp run amp in 2 channel and the end result be stereo sound out of the two bridged speakers???
This is a damn good topic Flying!!! Based on what ur saying and ur research i really don't think for bridging a 4 channel amp u can come out of a Line Leveler with 2 RCAs and plug them into one side of an amp with the "2 Channel Input" selected and expect to get stereo mode going to your speakers. Gonna need the Y RCAs and plug the right LL output RCA in the right side of the amp and the left LL RCA going to the left side of the amp basically igniting the color coding on the amp input.
Am I in the weeds?

T

The following users liked this post:
FrenchieM (09-26-2018)
Old 01-03-2017, 11:14 PM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain

This is only way to get stereo .so I am told bye JL

Old 01-03-2017, 11:47 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYINGBROKE
This is only way to get stereo .so I am told bye JL
that would make sense. In 2 channel mode, once the input is replicated to the other channel the amp doesn't know how you are wiring it (bridged). In that case you are bridging a left and right input vs two lefts and two rights like the diagram.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:09 AM
Hammerhead77
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried with the y splitters it didnt make a difference to my ears. So I used the 2 channel bridged diagram that is above that schematic you show. Doesn't mono mean its just putting out the same signal to both speakers? It's still in stereo?

Old 01-04-2017, 06:54 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Yep, Mono is basically pushing same exact signal to each speaker. A lot of the stereo related differences IMHO will be in the recording aspect of the music. Beatles just used wide open mono thus same sound to all speaks but as production matured u will get various mixing strategies to different locations in a system. On a sled at 80, not even noticeable but a bit lower on the spedo you might notice it.
Just anther detail on the very damn long list that may or may not matter to various folks.

T

Old 01-04-2017, 09:39 AM
Fatherwayne
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Yep, Mono is basically pushing same exact signal to each speaker. A lot of the stereo related differences IMHO will be in the recording aspect of the music. Beatles just used wide open mono thus same sound to all speaks but as production matured u will get various mixing strategies to different locations in a system. On a sled at 80, not even noticeable but a bit lower on the spedo you might notice it.
Just anther detail on the very damn long list that may or may not matter to various folks.

T
I wouldn't want it mono. Some groups use a left /right pan so heavily in production (Led Zepplin comes to mind) that missing either the left or right side of the signal will literally make the music cut out until the producer pans to the middle or back to the side of the signal your using.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:41 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatherwayne
I wouldn't want it mono. Some groups use a left /right pan so heavily in production (Led Zepplin comes to mind) that missing either the left or right side of the signal will literally make the music cut out until the producer pans to the middle or back to the side of the signal your using.
There are two ways to bridge this amp for two speaker operation.

One is for stereo (for our motorcycle applications) and one is for mono (when running 2 sub woofers for example).

The attached detail from the JL owners manual show you how to wire it both ways. Please note that the Channel Selector Switch is a different position in each application.

Using the the lower wiring diagram:

...Set the Channel Selector to "4"

...Install RCA "Y" adapters as shown to connect from your radio (or Line Leveler) to the amp

...Wire the speakers as shown.

Voila! You now have front speakers running from a bridged amp in STEREO.

By the way: Led Zepplin's "Whole Lotta Love" would suck in Mono!

Attached Thumbnails Bridged 4 channel amp ..-img_1215.jpg  

Quick Reply: Bridged 4 channel amp ..