Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp speaker upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 08:52 PM
flhrbill
Club Member
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Amp speaker upgrade

I have a 2009 Electra Glide Classic with Hogtune amp and speakers. Looking to upgrade the amp and speakers with a budget of about $500 - $700. Most of my sounds are from my IPod but I still like the FM. Current set up sounds ok even at 70 mph but looking for a better sound quality.

Just looking for ideas before I head down to Daytona.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:58 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 390 Posts

Are you looking to upgrade the fairing only or the tour pack pod speakers also??

Old 02-07-2017, 08:59 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Are u fairly resourceful regarding having limited mechanical skills?

I only ask because if u have the patience and a drill, mounting components with tweets in the grills will get u a killer set up. Initially thinking the DD CC6.5 components in the fairing, a SS amp, and a drop in for the TP pods.

If ur not up to investing a few extra minutes into the components no worries bro as the coax will work well, just don't bring the sound a component can.

T

Old 02-08-2017, 03:40 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Are u fairly resourceful regarding having limited mechanical skills?

I only ask because if u have the patience and a drill, mounting components with tweets in the grills will get u a killer set up. Initially thinking the DD CC6.5 components in the fairing, a SS amp, and a drop in for the TP pods.

If ur not up to investing a few extra minutes into the components no worries bro as the coax will work well, just don't bring the sound a component can.

T
Good stuff T! But I think the Op wants to keep his FM radio! The Soundstream amp will kill it. Best thing to do on his budget of $500-700 bucks is go heavy on the front stage and leave the stock rear speakers in place. Tough to get a good 4 channel amp that maintains FM reception for the 13 and down bikes. His options are the Biketronics BT4180 and the Arc Moto 600.4. Both high quality amps that will blow through the majority of his budget.

My suggestion would be the JL Audio MHX280/4 ($150) and the Moto 602 speakers in his fairing. They can be had for less than $300 these days! This amp would be installed in the fairing and bridged to these speakers. Very simple solution and the Moto's sound great with that amp!! As T said if you want to get creative the next best option is the components T spoke of. But they will require a little more labor to install.

You will need to mount the tweeters in the grills and run crossovers for the tweeters. I'm presently running the DD AW6.5's with the AT28's tweets in my fairing and the sound is amazing!!

The following users liked this post:
pglider (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 06:03 AM
flhrbill
Club Member

No rear speakers on the Electra Glide Classic. I just have the two fairing speakers and yes I would like to keep the FM. As far a my mechanical abilities go I'm smart enough to know my limitations. Not too excited about taking a grill to the fairing but with proper information I'm willing to look into it.

Good stuff guys.

Last edited by flhrbill; 02-08-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:50 AM
CVOJOE
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
My suggestion would be the JL Audio MHX280/4 ($150) and the Moto 602 speakers in his fairing. They can be had for less than $300 these days! This amp would be installed in the fairing and bridged to these speakers. Very simple solution and the Moto's sound great with that amp!!
Y
Hey Bill,

The system Gann has pointed out above is a really good sounding 2 speaker system that is light years ahead what you have now.

It's not a complicated install at all. There are really good youtube videos on taking your fairing and tank off. Watch a few of those and this install won't seam near as scary. That amp and those speakers are almost bullet proof and should give you years of good service.

I have some PDF's of good amp and speaker HD install instructions if you need them PM me and I will send them to you

Old 02-08-2017, 01:42 PM
flhrbill
Club Member

CVOJOE pm sent