Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help identifying connectors...and flash???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 12:17 PM
Michael R Moore
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default help identifying connectors...and flash???

can anyone tell me what these different connectors are for? these were all the unused ones from inside the fairing. trying to install an amp and rear speakers (2014 SGS)

also is flashing requiring to get rear speaker output? been doing some research on here but just seem to get more confused! some say a line leveler would work instead of flashing but ive seen some say that's only for 2015 and up...the whole flashing thing is foreign to me. I am used to old school car stereos from high school that were pretty simple to wire and connect...

Old 01-15-2019, 12:17 PM
Michael R Moore
Advanced

so doing some more digging and looking at wiring diagrams it looks like #1 is for a CB and #2 is an accessory connection, in particular for a headset...leaving #3 and #4...I think #3 is for the rear speakers which is what I am hoping, however without having it flashed yet I am unable to confirm, assuming the stereo currently would not send out a signal to the rear speakers. and then #4 I am not sure, and there are actually two of these, one on either side. both have a black and purple(?) wire going into the connector...

Old 01-15-2019, 01:24 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael R Moore
can anyone tell me what these different connectors are for? these were all the unused ones from inside the fairing. trying to install an amp and rear speakers (2014 SGS)

also is flashing requiring to get rear speaker output? been doing some research on here but just seem to get more confused! some say a line leveler would work instead of flashing but ive seen some say that's only for 2015 and up...the whole flashing thing is foreign to me. I am used to old school car stereos from high school that were pretty simple to wire and connect...

#3 is for the rear speaker output of headunit if memory serves me correctly
#4 is for 12v accessory power and ground.
(Purple 12+ black 12-)

Old 01-16-2019, 08:23 AM
wevsspot
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Babyboy
#3 is for the rear speaker output of headunit if memory serves me correctly
#4 is for 12v accessory power and ground.
(Purple 12+ black 12-)
Yeppers I have the wall wiring diagram for a 2015, so assuming there weren't any changes between '14 and '15 Babyboy would be right on the money.

Last edited by wevsspot; 01-16-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:31 AM
wevsspot
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael R Moore
also is flashing requiring to get rear speaker output?
If you want to use the internal rear channel AMP of the head unit, and you want front to rear fade from the radio controls , the head unit will need to be flashed. However, if those aren't important to you, you could feed the four input channels of the AMP from the two front outputs of the radio using RCA y-splitters.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:51 AM
Michael R Moore
Advanced

Originally Posted by wevsspot
Yeppers I have the wall wiring diagram for a 2015, so assuming there weren't any changes between '14 and '15 Babyboy would be right on the money.
thanks everyone!

Old 01-16-2019, 09:08 AM
Michael R Moore
Advanced

thanks for the help! I have an additional question that came up. so In installing the amp I blew a fuse and upon going to replace I noticed several things (this was a recent used bike I purchased and so this would have been how they had it set up)...

the main battery amp actually had a 25 A fuse but it looks like it calls for a 5. as you see in the picture I replaced with the proper 5A but am curious if there is some reason the prior owner would have had a 25A in it, other than laziness? should it in fact have the 5A as indicated on the diagram?

also notice no cooling fuse or relay...obviously I need to correct this, but also notice there are no metal contacts in the slots, and the one spare slot just has a metal contact on one side. is there a way to replace just the contacts or will I need a whole new fuse box?

I will also post this in a "electrical" forum if there is one...thanks in advance...

Last edited by Michael R Moore; 01-16-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:12 AM
Michael R Moore
Advanced

sorry here is a bigger image:

Old 01-16-2019, 09:40 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

That bike doesn't have the radiators on it so there's no need for the cooling fuse or relay.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:49 AM
Michael R Moore
Advanced

I guess I wasn't even thinking that "cooling" was in reference to a radiator...with everything being so computerized and electrical these days I just saw an empty fuse and assumed it needed to be there for some reason. would I need the relay for the horn? I have honestly never attempted to use it yet so don't even know if it works and also wouldn't care but will need it if/when I get it inspected...

and as far as the battery fuse I assume it should in fact be a 5A as indicated...not sure why they had a 25A in it.

Quick Reply: help identifying connectors...and flash???