Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my current amp strong enough?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 07:29 PM
sisson16
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my current amp strong enough?

Quick rundown...

Currently have an Alpine iLX-107 with a BT 2180.14 running 2 Hertz MPX 165.3s. Wanting to add a set of Hertz SV 165.1s to the lowers. That comes out to about 110 RMS per speaker at 2 ohms. Is that good enough for this setup?

I’ve considered talking to Biketronics about what they could do for me on a 2250.14, but not sure the extra 50-60 RMS per speaker would make a difference with this setup. That being said with the 2180.14 I’m already going to be cutting the power to my fairing speakers quite a bit then what they currently run just by adding the lowers, so how power hungry are they in order to be loud and sound good?

Opinions?

Old 02-02-2019, 09:52 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by sisson16
Quick rundown...

Currently have an Alpine iLX-107 with a BT 2180.14 running 2 Hertz MPX 165.3s. Wanting to add a set of Hertz SV 165.1s to the lowers. That comes out to about 110 RMS per speaker at 2 ohms. Is that good enough for this setup?

I’ve considered talking to Biketronics about what they could do for me on a 2250.14, but not sure the extra 50-60 RMS per speaker would make a difference with this setup. That being said with the 2180.14 I’m already going to be cutting the power to my fairing speakers quite a bit then what they currently run just by adding the lowers, so how power hungry are they in order to be loud and sound good?

Opinions?
If if start using speakers that differ in many regards, u really need independent crossovers & gains aka their own channel/s or independent tuning capability. In this case, 4 channel amp with *****/ dials.

T

Old 02-02-2019, 10:01 PM
sisson16
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you’re saying I can’t add lower mid speakers with this amp? I’ve tried to research as much as possible before posting and I’ve found plenty of people that have with this amp, so what’s different in your opinion? Also, the Alpine has crossover capabilities...but I assume it’s not the same? It’s in the Alpine Tune It app.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:48 PM
DLennartz
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

So you’re saying I can’t add lower mid speakers with this amp? I’ve tried to research as much as possible before posting and I’ve found plenty of people that have with this amp, so what’s different in your opinion? Also, the Alpine has crossover capabilities...but I assume it’s not the same? It’s in the Alpine Tune It app.
You’ll have plenty of power with your existing amp. Upgrading to a more powerful two channel amp would be a complete wast of money. You really wouldn’t gain anything. The disadvantage of running a two channel amp vs a four is not being able to at least be able to adjust the volume between you uppers and lowers. If it were me I would just hook it up with your existing amp. It’ gonna be a big improvement over just having two speakers in the upper fairing. If you not satisfied install a four channel amp which you would really need to get the most from those Hertz speakers which are pretty damn nice speakers.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:53 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by DLennartz
You’ll have plenty of power with your existing amp. Upgrading to a more powerful two channel amp would be a complete wast of money. You really wouldn’t gain anything. The disadvantage of running a two channel amp vs a four is not being able to at least be able to adjust the volume between you uppers and lowers. If it were me I would just hook it up with your existing amp. It’ gonna be a big improvement over just having two speakers in the upper fairing. If you not satisfied install a four channel amp which you would really need to get the most from those Hertz speakers which are pretty damn nice speakers.
This has got to be the dumbest post I've read in a long time. How in the hell can you suggest to run two different sets of speakers that have different requirements on a 2ch amp with no way to control either of them? What a dumbass.

The following users liked this post:
duglaura&flhti (02-05-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 11:14 PM
DLennartz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SBates08
This has got to be the dumbest post I've read in a long time. How in the hell can you suggest to run two different sets of speakers that have different requirements on a 2ch amp with no way to control either of them? What a dumbass.
How did you get your tablet back from you mommies basement? I though she’s scolded you for being disrespectful. You gonna call me a dumb *** to my face? PM me we’ll arange it. Bring your friends.

Last edited by DLennartz; 02-02-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:26 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

How did you get your tablet back from you mommies basement? I though she’s scolded you for being disrespectful. You gonna call me a dumb *** to my face? PM me we’ll arange it. Bring your friends.
Buddy you don't scare me. None in the least. If you make a dumbass post I'm gonna tell you you made a dumbass post. Your not that hard to find so be careful what you ask for.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:29 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Brother, this is audio thus u can do just about anything u want to. But as SBates mentioned, anyone w half a brain is not going to recommend this plan w this amp. Find a way to get the different sets of speakers on different channels so u can control the crossovers & gains at a minimum and ur at least headed in a safe direction.
And don't drop any cash on a replacement 2 channel amp. Ur gonna need 4 channels.

If u look at the specs for each set of speakers, they are very damn different. One set is a full range speaker ranging from 50hz to 20k Hz. The other one is a mission specific speaker and plays 100 Hz to 10k Hz. One has a sensitivity of 92 and the other is 97. U just cannot tie all that shix together and expect good results.
It's just physics brother. Like I said, there isn't anything preventing you from hooking all that up, it's just not something that anyone w integrity & credibility would recommend you do.

Take ur time and do this shix via best practices and be done with it.

T

Old 02-02-2019, 11:31 PM
DLennartz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SBates08
Buddy you don't scare me. None in the least. If you make a dumbass post I'm gonna tell you you made a dumbass post. Your not that hard to find so be careful what you ask for.
Please find me. Is your mommy letting you go to Sturgis? You can call me a dumbass to me face right there. We’ll settle your public display of disrespect publicly. Then maybe you’ll learn to keep your big mouth shut.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:58 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Please find me. Is your mommy letting you go to Sturgis? You can call me a dumbass to me face right there. We’ll settle your public display of disrespect publicly. Then maybe you’ll learn to keep your big mouth shut.
You seriously don't know what you're asking for.

Quick Reply: Is my current amp strong enough?