Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSR1 kits. What's needed and what's not???

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 03:01 PM
Hades02
Tourer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default DSR1 kits. What's needed and what's not???

So I just picked up a 2015 Roadglide Special. Had a 2009 Streetglide with your typical recommended components (4 years ago) and was happy with my sound. Now it's time to work on the Roadglide. Has the 6.5 gt boom box head unit which I'm going to keep. It's set up for 2 speaker only right now but will flash for 4 (front & rear). For now I plan on using the amps and speakers that I have. Front's upper and lower (Kappa 62.11i) and rear JBL GTO 938. This will be driven by an SS pn4.1000D and a PPI 350D. Will upgrade equipment over the next 6 months and add 8's or 10's in the bags. The plan is to have a dual system set up. Just fronts and 6x9 in the lids when I'm set up for touring long distances and need bag and trunk space. Fronts and 8's or 10's with horns in another set of bags when riding solo and locally. It's my understanding that you can save different configurations/tunes in the DSR1.

Plan on purchasing the DSR1 and I see places selling the plug and play kit. However, then they also offer the "AHB Front & Rear Signal Harnesses for Factory Radio" as an add on.

So here's my question:
Do I need the add ons? or is that simply to make life easier in not having to cut wires? These add ons are another $140 for 2 sets of wires with resistors.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:28 PM
1968gts
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Watch fathead cycles video on the DSR1

Old 03-20-2019, 12:51 AM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

I can't make a solid recommendation either way with the exact question because I don't know anything about factory radio integration with them or even speaker wire integration, I am a "replace it all with good wire" guy lol.

BUT, I can recommend buying from Garage Bagger Stereo or BAL or Lucky 7 if Haze of Louie are still selling stuff like that. Service after the purchase makes alllll the difference in the world with stuff like that and Chris, Louie, and Alex have shown time and time again that here, on facebook, or in person they will bend over backwards to get you sounding good and get the max potential out of your setup. The DSR1 isn't a super complicated piece of gear but they still can pull more out of a setup than your average guy can just because they tune stuff all the time and have a huge knowledge base on how to make it sing.

I've been using a DSR1 for about 6 months now I think, give or take. You can find tons of "OMG it's Bluetooth is terrible" online but I disagree. Now the update process to get it ready to roll the first time is seriously a gigantic PITA but once updated, mine is rock solid. I connect, the app shuts down, I connect again and it's there with no drops until I am done doing what I'm doing. In the garage or on the road it just works. I don't know why it takes a second connection EVERY time, and no it shouldn't, but I've gotten used to that and after you make the second connection it's completely solid so it is what it is.

BAL sends them out updated already I believe which is a plus as well. Always if possible, buy from the guys who support those of us spending our money at their shops. Sometimes maybe it costs a few bucks more but the service after the sale is worth every penny and then some and you aren't going to get that service from an ebay store or Amazon.

The following users liked this post:
Rcloud72 (04-26-2020)
Old 03-20-2019, 03:07 PM
Cheesehead_13
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Subscribed.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:36 PM
Hades02
Tourer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Thank you everyone for your help. Looks like the extra wires are for folks that don't want to do it themselves and want a plug and play solution vs cutting wires and crimping end connectors, etc.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:42 PM
Black_mamba
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe if you want fade from the head unit get that harness. Otherwise you only need one input to run all eight output channels on the dsr1.