Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading to GTS. Flash instructions for a dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 07:42 PM
pyuchem
Road Warrior
Received 859 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
I hope it works, too. If not, just toss it on the side of the road like I did, and plug in the wire.
(I did actually toss it in the trash, calm down )

No amps, etc, so no need for an EQ flash, I just looked at my Techno Research screen, I cannot see anything you would need, just follow the WHIM instructions given by SSI above
Lol...In other thread I got all kinds of recommendations for wireless adapter. Nothing stood out for sure that will work all the time. Looks like it is hit or miss, so I decided try the cheapest one, I have 30 days window to return if it doesn't (Amazon prime)..I'll try different one if this doesn't work.

I ride with old people, so we stop a lot to pee . I don't want to plug/Unplug my phone every 1 hr.

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
I am not familiar with the "maedhawk bluetooth adapter" you speak of, but... from what I can see that's so you would have a mic, or at least fooling the system in thinking you had a mic, right?

If you are using the "
CarPlay jumper" like you said in your original post, that takes care of getting around Apples/CarPlay's mic requirement. I have seen some mention of guys with the new head units (SkyLine or whatever it is called) using an adapter, like what I think the maedhawk bluetooth adapter is, to meet that head unit's wireless CarPlay mic requirement (thus it would be equivalent to your CarPlay jumper in a manner of speaking).

If you have the CarPlay jumper, the one that plugs inside the fairing, then you should be good for the mic requirement... plug your phone into the USB cable and CarPlay should be available. Now if you dont want to have to plug your phone into the USB cable to get CarPlay available you will need a wireless CarPlay adapter for that. It will plug into your USB cable instead of the phone. The head unit sees it as the phone (sort of) and the phone communicates with the module wirelessly.

There are all kinds of them out there, and everybody has their favorites or what works for them.... this is the one I have been using for a while now
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0B4C...7-9b4f908792c3

If I have misunderstood what the maedhawk bluetooth adapter is, just disregard all this
Yes Carplay jumper should be here Monday. Maedhawk is for wireless capability...I'll see how it does, if not...I'll send it back and try Autosky or something else. Would be awesome if any of these wireless adapters work as advertised.

Old 04-27-2024, 10:46 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 678 Posts

"Also just ordered maedhawk bluetooth adapter for wireless carplay"

I cannot find anyplace that sells a "maedhawk bluetooth adapter" that says a single word about one for wireless
CarPlay. I hope it does what you are wanting, but... to me it looks like the Maedhawk bluetooth adapter is a way to add wireless bluetooth or "hands free" to a car's head unit that doesn't have bluetooth, so that from your phone you can play music and do calls thru the head unit... like pairing your phone with the GTS head unit would do (your head unit already has bluetooth, and bluetooth in itself is wireless). Maybe using this adapter, instead pairing the phone to the GTS, would have better sound??? IDK
But if the one you're getting does do CarPlay too, post a link to it, please.

Now I can see how the Maedhawk bluetooth adapter may be used with the new bikes (2023.5 CVOs & 2024 Touring) with the HD SkyLine head unit, which comes stock with wireless CarPlay already, to "fool" the Skyline head unit into thinking that a mic is connected maybe (like your CarPlay jumper does on the GTS) thus getting CarPlay to be available without actually having to use a headset.
EDIT--> After looking in another thread, I see the guys with the new SkyLine head units are using the Maedhawk bluetooth adapter to get around the headset (mic) requirement for CarPlay. Bear in mind their system (SkyLine) comes stock with wireless CarPlay, but it still has Apple's headset (mic) requirement and this is how they are getting around that.. For your GTS, that is what the CarPlay jumper does... I think you're gonna need a "wireless CarPlay module" still, or plug your phone into the USB cable.

Not meaning to be Nay Sayer or sounding all negative, I hope it does what you're expecting, just being sure your ordered what you need to get what you want with the GTS.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 04-27-2024 at 11:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ssitruc:
Hammz (04-28-2024), pyuchem (05-04-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 08:11 PM
pyuchem
Road Warrior

"Also just ordered maedhawk bluetooth adapter for wireless carplay"

I cannot find anyplace that sells a "maedhawk bluetooth adapter" that says a single word about one for wireless
CarPlay. I hope it does what you are wanting, but... to me it looks like the Maedhawk bluetooth adapter is a way to add wireless bluetooth or "hands free" to a car's head unit that doesn't have bluetooth, so that from your phone you can play music and do calls thru the head unit... like pairing your phone with the GTS head unit would do (your head unit already has bluetooth, and bluetooth in itself is wireless). Maybe using this adapter, instead pairing the phone to the GTS, would have better sound??? IDK
But if the one you're getting does do CarPlay too, post a link to it, please.

Now I can see how the Maedhawk bluetooth adapter may be used with the new bikes (2023.5 CVOs & 2024 Touring) with the HD SkyLine head unit, which comes stock with wireless CarPlay already, to "fool" the Skyline head unit into thinking that a mic is connected maybe (like your CarPlay jumper does on the GTS) thus getting CarPlay to be available without actually having to use a headset.
EDIT--> After looking in another thread, I see the guys with the new SkyLine head units are using the Maedhawk bluetooth adapter to get around the headset (mic) requirement for CarPlay. Bear in mind their system (SkyLine) comes stock with wireless CarPlay, but it still has Apple's headset (mic) requirement and this is how they are getting around that.. For your GTS, that is what the CarPlay jumper does... I think you're gonna need a "wireless CarPlay module" still, or plug your phone into the USB cable.

Not meaning to be Nay Sayer or sounding all negative, I hope it does what you're expecting, just being sure your ordered what you need to get what you want with the GTS.
Good point...I'm installing GTS tomorrow and will test it, saw a review of it on youtube working on Streetglide. I

Old 05-01-2024, 11:43 PM
pyuchem
Road Warrior

I am not familiar with the "maedhawk bluetooth adapter" you speak of, but... from what I can see that's so you would have a mic, or at least fooling the system in thinking you had a mic, right?

If you are using the "
CarPlay jumper" like you said in your original post, that takes care of getting around Apples/CarPlay's mic requirement. I have seen some mention of guys with the new head units (SkyLine or whatever it is called) using an adapter, like what I think the maedhawk bluetooth adapter is, to meet that head unit's wireless CarPlay mic requirement (thus it would be equivalent to your CarPlay jumper in a manner of speaking).

If you have the CarPlay jumper, the one that plugs inside the fairing, then you should be good for the mic requirement... plug your phone into the USB cable and CarPlay should be available. Now if you dont want to have to plug your phone into the USB cable to get CarPlay available you will need a wireless CarPlay adapter for that. It will plug into your USB cable instead of the phone. The head unit sees it as the phone (sort of) and the phone communicates with the module wirelessly.

There are all kinds of them out there, and everybody has their favorites or what works for them.... this is the one I have been using for a while now
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0B4C...7-9b4f908792c3

If I have misunderstood what the maedhawk bluetooth adapter is, just disregard all this
You are correct, connected meadhawk today and there was no wireless carplay. I'll send it back and order Autosky next....

Carplay worked when I had phone plugged in. So that was great.

The following users liked this post:
Ssitruc (05-02-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 01:36 PM
pyuchem
Road Warrior

Got this in the mail today, will test it after I get off work

Old 05-04-2024, 07:26 PM
pyuchem
Road Warrior

Update:

Autosky is not working as expected. It’s connected to my phone. I’ve checked everything and still no go.

projection is ON

When connected with cable CarPlay comes right away.

Old 05-04-2024, 08:15 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Your bike’s settings are good to go if CarPlay worked by connecting your iPhone using the USB cable, so don’t worry about that.

First wireless won’t be “instant” like plugging your iPhone into the USB, but more like 30-60 seconds or so. With the bike turned off, I would go to your iPhone’s Bluetooth settings and remove the AutoSky module, choose “forget” the device in there. Then, after that’s done, unplug the AutoSky module from the bike’s USB cable… basically starting over.

First, be sure on your iPhone Wi-Fi is turned on (after the initial connection those wireless CarPlay modules use Wi-Fi for the data exchange so Wi-Fi needs to be on)…
Then turn the bike’s ignition on, and let the GTS get booted up.
Now on your iPhone go to Bluetooth settings, and then plug in the AutoSky module directly into the USB cable on the bike.
Watch in the iPhone’s Bluetooth settings under “My Devices” for the module to appear and click on it and tell it to pair.

On the iPhone you’ll need to agree to at least a couple things, like letting it use your contacts and allowing CarPlay to connect when the iPhone is locked.
There may be a third thing, but I can’t remember for sure… then wait for a few seconds (maybe like 30 or so) while it does its thing of switching over to Wi-Fi. When mine does this switching over, I will see that the module is then showing disconnected under “My Devices” on the iPhone’s Bluetooth settings by the way, and that is normal… and in a few seconds (as in several) the phone icon on the GTS’s home screen should turn into a CarPlay icon.

That is all I have ever had to do, and I have set up a half dozen of them.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 05-04-2024 at 08:24 PM.
pyuchem (05-04-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 09:17 PM
pyuchem
Road Warrior

Your bike’s settings are good to go if CarPlay worked by connecting your iPhone using the USB cable, so don’t worry about that.

First wireless won’t be “instant” like plugging your iPhone into the USB, but more like 30-60 seconds or so. With the bike turned off, I would go to your iPhone’s Bluetooth settings and remove the AutoSky module, choose “forget” the device in there. Then, after that’s done, unplug the AutoSky module from the bike’s USB cable… basically starting over.

First, be sure on your iPhone Wi-Fi is turned on (after the initial connection those wireless CarPlay modules use Wi-Fi for the data exchange so Wi-Fi needs to be on)…
Then turn the bike’s ignition on, and let the GTS get booted up.
Now on your iPhone go to Bluetooth settings, and then plug in the AutoSky module directly into the USB cable on the bike.
Watch in the iPhone’s Bluetooth settings under “My Devices” for the module to appear and click on it and tell it to pair.

On the iPhone you’ll need to agree to at least a couple things, like letting it use your contacts and allowing CarPlay to connect when the iPhone is locked.
There may be a third thing, but I can’t remember for sure… then wait for a few seconds (maybe like 30 or so) while it does its thing of switching over to Wi-Fi. When mine does this switching over, I will see that the module is then showing disconnected under “My Devices” on the iPhone’s Bluetooth settings by the way, and that is normal… and in a few seconds (as in several) the phone icon on the GTS’s home screen should turn into a CarPlay icon.

That is all I have ever had to do, and I have set up a half dozen of them.

Awesome. Thank you Sir!

Followed your direction, It worked instantaneously. I also updated the firmware before I read your message here.

When I first connected it, I had Wifi off and bike in accessory mode. Maybe that's why I had issues.

I hope Autosky works without hiccup for a long time. Reviews have been good and bad on this unit (more positive's than negative's). Time will tell. Thank you again.

Last edited by pyuchem; 05-04-2024 at 09:59 PM.
Ssitruc (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 06:19 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,726 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Glad to hear that all is working fine for you.

Old 05-05-2024, 08:01 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Accessory Mode on the bike should have been fine, WiFi being off was probably it, if WiFi was off on the phone then the module can't switch over like it needs to. It was smart to do the firmware update first, and get that out of the way... and unless something is acting up I don't do them afterwards, I don't want to fix it until I break it
Just remember this, it will not be "instantly connected" as you turn on the bike, but in a reasonably short period of time after you turn the ignition on and the head unit is booted up. Mine is connected usually well before I am ready to pull out of the driveway.

IF it gets where it won't connect, just unplug the module, wait a minute and plug the module back in. If doing that doesn't "fix" it, or if it's having to be unplugged too often, just do that process again of (with the bike off) unplugging the module, unpair the module from your phone, turn the bike’s ignition on, and let the GTS get booted up, plug in the AutoSky module, when module appears on the phone click on it and tell it to pair (and agree to the 2 or 3 things on the phone). I have never had to do this with my bikes in a year and a half, but I have had to in my GMC truck twice now in that same year and a half. The truck's hands free system and CarPlay sometimes fight over which one is handling calls and I think that is what caused the issue(s) with it.

Glad you got it up and running.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 05-05-2024 at 08:06 AM.
pyuchem (05-05-2024)