Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If Ultranuts system included independent tweets

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default If Ultranuts system included independent tweets

If someone (Me) was determined to replace two gauges with tweeters, which of these two choices would get the most highs to the rider at 75MPH?

A.) MM6501's in lowers with the tweeters mounted in batwing?

B.) MM651's in lowers with Focal tweets in batwing run off HK preamp?

Old 02-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Dragonfly2000
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dew Me
If someone (Me) was determined to replace two gauges with tweeters, which of these two choices would get the most highs to the rider at 75MPH?

If I read this correctly option A gives you a coaxial speaker in the lower, and another tweeter up top.
Option B gives you a Mid Driver down low and a tweeter up top.
Option A should give you more highs as there are twice as many tweeters. We have found being on a bike however the lower frequences are the first to be lost in the open air and on the road, leaving you primarily just highs anyway.
I'm also curious as to why the mix and matching of the brands? Either way if looking for purchasing the tweeters, I do have a set of them here from a bike that we put a set of KR2's in the lowers and didnt use the tweeters. I will attach a link to which ones they are.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-IlQzjBD...r-165-KR2.html
I also have crossovers that are for a set of KRC's that will malke them work nicley. You will need to purchase the Harley dash plugs 75106-96A.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:02 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

I'm sorry. I'll elaborate:

I'm bridging a SS Nano 4.520D, and wiring in series. The 2.7 ohm Polks are perfect for this. Batwing speakers will be MM651's no matter what. The MM6501 has almost identical specs but is component instead of coaxial. I decided on the Focal tweets b/c they are one of few than runs an a low enough RMS that they can run straight off the stereo (using the pre-amp)

So option A is MM651 (coaxial) and the tweeter portion of the MM6501 (component) mounted into the batwing. With the woofer (mid-woofer?) of the MM6501 mounted in the lower.

Option B is MM651 (coaxial) and a Focal tweeter in the batwing, and the same coaxial (MM651) mounted in lower.

So option B actually has more tweeters.

If I'm understanding you properly though I've been thinking about sound and wind wrong. I was thinking lows are more robust and they would cut through the wind better than highs. For that reason I was thinking the highs mounted in the lowers would have the most trouble getting to my ears. Are you saying I'll hear highs from the lowers better than I will hear the lows when at highway speeds?

Originally Posted by Dragonfly2000
I do have a set of them here from a bike that we put a set of KR2's in the lowers and didnt use the tweeters. I also have crossovers that are for a set of KRC's that will malke them work nicley. You will need to purchase the Harley dash plugs 75106-96A.
I'll PM you...

Old 02-21-2013, 01:17 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

I feel that either option would give you great separation and sound good.

Either way, whatever (bass and tweeters) is in the lowers is going wash when you get going. Sitting still is another sound altogether.

If I was a "tweetin" guy, I would go with option B

Old 02-21-2013, 05:19 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

here's a short clip with front speakers only.
This was done in a 30 x 30 garage with solid walls
I did not have any sound dampening material to hang on the garage door

Soundstream PN4.520D
Polk Audio MM651 fairing speakers only. This doesn't include the rears, faded all the way to the front
bass and treble flat on radio
ac/dc - you shook me all night long running from iPod 320kbs
119.8db averaged over 5 sessions. That's friking loud guys.... and best of all it was perfectly clear!
119.6, 120.2, 120.4, 120.2, 118.6

highest reading I got in 4 sessions with front and rear combined was 121.3db

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cd81x0wqif...6-58-33_44.mp4

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 02-21-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:51 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.That's a LOT of highs !! BASS is where it's at !.

May not be a world of difference either way. Would be interesting to see it both ways,........to see how it stacks up. It doesn't take a lot of highs on these systems.........

Old 02-21-2013, 06:53 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
.That's a LOT of highs !! BASS is where it's at !.

May not be a world of difference either way. Would be interesting to see it both ways,........to see how it stacks up. It doesn't take a lot of highs on these systems.........
I hear ya man.. I'm dying here.. CS told me Monday 3 days to ship the painted lids when I ordered. Talked to Bill today, he said it would be next week before they ship.

Got my speakers already and I picked up a package of 10 of these for quick connects.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 02-21-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:15 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
I hear ya man.. I'm dying here.. CS told me Monday 3 days to ship the painted lids when I ordered. Talked to Bill today, he said it would be next week before they ship.

Got my speakers already and I picked up a package of 10 of these for quick connects.
Since I have 2 speakers in each bag, I needed the 4 wire connector, that's why I went with the Deutsch Connectors. Boy are they expensive, for what they are !! Almost $20 bucks a piece.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
.BASS is where it's at !.
I've actually never been big on highs. Every system I ever built it was all about the bass. With this being my first bike with a stereo, I noticed right away it was the highs that suffered most. From what I think I know about highs I'm most afraid of highs not making it to my ear.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:12 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

I've actually never been big on highs. Every system I ever built it was all about the bass. With this being my first bike with a stereo, I noticed right away it was the highs that suffered most. From what I think I know about highs I'm most afraid of highs not making it to my ear.
Oh they'll make it to your ears... Especially those fairing speakers.