Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No power to radio...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 09:07 PM
T_Dogg80
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power to radio...

I have this on the touring forum but not much response and it's driving me nuts not knowing.

I installed a new hd stock headlight and aux lights. Everything went on fine and all worked except my radio will not power up. I checked fuses and they're fine. I then pulled off the outer fairing to see if I pinched a wire or something and all looks good under there too. Is there another fuse or something because I just can't figure this one out. I didn't do anything other than take out the old headlamp and put in the new ones. The new aux lights had new harnesses that just plugged into the old one.

I didn't take the fairing off to install them. I only took it off to see if anything was pinched. I'm at a loss.

I dropped the bike on it's side last night, wasn't even running. This happened at work. Started up fine, and ran fine all the way home, as did the stereo. Highway speeds too.

After I got home I wrenched on the bars a bit to make sure they weren't loose.

I figure the radio not working could either be due to the headlight and aux lights I installed today (don't see how), or when I reefed on the bars last night to make sure they weren't loose after I got home. They're not, they just have some movement in the bushings, like everyone said.

I really can't afford to take it into the shop (since I just spent my savings on the parts I wanted so badly) so I'm hoping to figure this out myself. I think I'm gonna pull the fairing off again tomorrow to have a look at it again. Gonna check some sort of ground on the triple tree (I've read that others had this problem of it coming loose).

Could anything on the handlebars be causing this? What are the grounding points for the stereos on these things?

Old 06-02-2013, 03:56 AM
T_Dogg80
Road Captain

Got it all fixed. Had to wait until I got home at 1am. Pulled the outer fairing off again and had a look at the ground on the triple tree (for lack of a better description) that I've read a few people talking about. Well I saw an empty spade connector and then a single wire hanging near it. Plugged it back up and all is rocking again!!

Needless to say, when I bought the bike that fairing was intimidating. Ain't no thing at all though! Easy as pie!

Old 06-02-2013, 06:15 AM
NascarGuy
Supporter
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a ground wire under and to the right of the stock head unit. It is pretty hidden. It is a spade type connector that connects to a bolted on male spade. It is pretty hidden so maybe you knocked it off. Look for a gray plastic connector with a female spade in it.

Hope it helps.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:04 PM
T_Dogg80
Road Captain

Originally Posted by NascarGuy
There is a ground wire under and to the right of the stock head unit. It is pretty hidden. It is a spade type connector that connects to a bolted on male spade. It is pretty hidden so maybe you knocked it off. Look for a gray plastic connector with a female spade in it.

Hope it helps.
You're about 3 hours late to the party but that is exactly what the problem was.