Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS PN4.520 heat Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:45 PM
chunngle
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS PN4.520 heat Issues?

I recently installed a SS PN4.520 amp, Sony DSX-310BT head unit with Biketronics controller and Biketronics BT7P1 speakers w/polyfil. I have read from others with the same setup how after 30-40 minutes use in the garage tweaking with the gains the amp is cool to the touch. I have to say that mine is warmer than cool to the touch after 40 minutes of jamming and tweaking. I am using #8 gauge positive and negative cables looped through two ferrite cores and #16 gauge speaker wire. I had the ground hooked up to the triple tree originally and then moved it to the battery. After feeling how warm it was getting on the initial gain adjustment I started to monitor with an infrared pyrometer. The next day after moving the ground to the battery I took ambient temp readings and then ran it as hard as the previous day for approximately the equal amount of time. Here are the results:

Ground to triple tree - 130F-131F
Ambient temp in garage - 104F
Ground to Battery - 129F-130F

Are these temps something to be concerned about? The amp showed no signs of overheating or clipping. Interesting to note that there was little to no difference between the ground on the triple tree and battery.

On a side note, this setup really rocks. It is quite an improvement over the Biketronics BT480 amp and 6.5" Hertz Titans. The Biketronics amp may have put out a bit more raw power but it was never as crisp and clear as this SS amp. Thanks to all, especially Ultranutz for the recommendations and knowledge brought to the table.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:48 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

ambient temp is for sure. :-)

remember you've got no cooling while sitting still. When you're moving, air is going up inside that fairing. But realistically, these temps are WELL within operating temps for these amps.

My PN2.350D mounted inside the tourpak though never gets hot and I've got it covered with a piece of trunk matching material to keep the wife's blingy crap from contacting the terminals on the amp.

Originally Posted by chunngle
I recently installed a SS PN4.520 amp, Sony DSX-310BT head unit with Biketronics controller and Biketronics BT7P1 speakers w/polyfil. I have read from others with the same setup how after 30-40 minutes use in the garage tweaking with the gains the amp is cool to the touch. I have to say that mine is warmer than cool to the touch after 40 minutes of jamming and tweaking. I am using #8 gauge positive and negative cables looped through two ferrite cores and #16 gauge speaker wire. I had the ground hooked up to the triple tree originally and then moved it to the battery. After feeling how warm it was getting on the initial gain adjustment I started to monitor with an infrared pyrometer. The next day after moving the ground to the battery I took ambient temp readings and then ran it as hard as the previous day for approximately the equal amount of time. Here are the results:

Ground to triple tree - 130F-131F
Ambient temp in garage - 104F
Ground to Battery - 129F-130F

Are these temps something to be concerned about? The amp showed no signs of overheating or clipping. Interesting to note that there was little to no difference between the ground on the triple tree and battery.

On a side note, this setup really rocks. It is quite an improvement over the Biketronics BT480 amp and 6.5" Hertz Titans. The Biketronics amp may have put out a bit more raw power but it was never as crisp and clear as this SS amp. Thanks to all, especially Ultranutz for the recommendations and knowledge brought to the table.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:21 AM
chunngle
Cruiser

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
ambient temp is for sure. :-)

remember you've got no cooling while sitting still. When you're moving, air is going up inside that fairing. But realistically, these temps are WELL within operating temps for these amps.

My PN2.350D mounted inside the tourpak though never gets hot and I've got it covered with a piece of trunk matching material to keep the wife's blingy crap from contacting the terminals on the amp.
Right on. I won't be too concerned then. It is Phoenix after all and everything you touch in the summer is hot. Much the same with oil temps. Seems everyone runs in the vicinity of 220-240 and I am seeing 280+ in the summer.

This set up sure sounds awesome, I can't wait to get the 6X9's in the lids.
I just need to dial in the settings on the head unit now and I will be in business. I have the LPF and HPF settings on the head unit set at 80% with the slope at 1?. The DM+ Advanced is set to on as is the Dynamic Loudness. Does this sound about right? I know it is a matter of personal preference but just curious how others have this headunit set up.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:16 AM
chunngle
Cruiser

Would it be a safe bet that since the performance and the temps of the amp are the same whether grounded at the triple tree or at the battery that the triple tree ground would be sufficient?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:36 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

i agree. as long as it's a good ground which it appears to be by your measurements above. Easy way to tell for sure is check the resistance from that ground point back to the battery post. If it's less than a couple of ohms, you're good...

Old 07-31-2013, 10:22 AM
chunngle
Cruiser

thank you sir. I will check it tonight before putting it back together. I would prefer to leave it on the triple tree as it is a cleaner look.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:14 PM
badazzpred
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey UN Im not sure if chunngle is installing this in his 05' FLHTCSE2 but if so I had thought you had said to run the ground straight to the battery? like on my 05' electra glide just curious is all?

Thanks

Old 07-31-2013, 12:16 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

i told you to run to battery since you're installing new and my experiences with the grounds up front on pre-06 bikes.

chunngle has this already installed and it's been running perfectly fine for him where it's grounded now so it's up to you where you want to ground the amp just make sure it's a good solid ground..

Old 07-31-2013, 12:35 PM
badazzpred
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
i told you to run to battery since you're installing new and my experiences with the grounds up front on pre-06 bikes.

chunngle has this already installed and it's been running perfectly fine for him where it's grounded now so it's up to you where you want to ground the amp just make sure it's a good solid ground..
Oh I will do what you suggested!! I just was curious is all Thanx for everything man.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:58 PM
chunngle
Cruiser

wasn't it more the grounding to the fairing brackets in the pre '06 that you wanted to stay away from?