Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness needed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 07:32 PM
longrides
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harness needed?

2013 FLTRX with HD vented lowers added.I'm trying to add speakers in my lowers..... the boom speakers for lowers were back ordered but I also find out I might need a wiring harness ( 70169-06a) for $100?
I'm also having trouble finding some good 2 ohm speakers (if not boom) that I can add an amp to later....
If I add speakers other than boom will I still need this harness? The radio is HK stock.

I want to simply add 2 good 2 ohm speakers in the lowers with the capability of adding an amp at a later date. Already have Boom speakers in the fairing.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated....

Old 08-12-2013, 07:54 PM
sl33py
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully Ultra or another of the guru's will chime in.

I don't know if i'd throw more $ into boom audio.

I would check out the Polk MM651 (2.7 ~3ohm) or MM6501 components.

I'd use the $100 you don't spend on the stock HD wiring harness and get a decent amp to push any speaker you'd like! This is where your existing Boom speakers in the batwing are going to kinda show their lack of power handling (and Freq. Response, and...).

GL!

Old 08-12-2013, 08:01 PM
sl33py
Tourer

If you get an amp you won't need the wiring harness. AND won't be limited to 2ohm speakers.

Pick your speakers, then pick your amp to match the impedance you want. Plans to add any other speakers (lids or tourpack)?

the Biketronics 7.1 or 6.5's are great - but 4 ohm (need amp), and a bit more $ ($250-300 ea). 7.1's were on promo for same as 6.5's ($250), but not sure if any longer. Lifetime warranty and truly exceptional customer service. (don't believe me? - give them a call and ask some questions of Bill - you'll see what i mean!)

Polk MM651 or 6501's are 2.7 ohm - great sounding speakers (i've installed the 651's in brother's bike). Of course would like more power to really wake up (all do).

Wiring up from the stock HU to amp will mean you just run speaker wire to new speakers - no wiring harness needed. But you will need to run power from battery to amp.

If you want to adjust the lowers independently, you'll probably want your local HD to flash your stock HU for rear fade ability (not free - $100'ish? unless friends at dealer). But that also depends if you want to add rear speakers at a later date?

I'd read through some of the threads and see what you want to do before you start buying things you may not like after adding an amp.

HTH - GL!

Old 08-13-2013, 05:13 AM
Fire4Effect
Cruiser

Originally Posted by longrides
2013 FLTRX with HD vented lowers added.I'm trying to add speakers in my lowers..... the boom speakers for lowers were back ordered but I also find out I might need a wiring harness ( 70169-06a) for $100?
I'm also having trouble finding some good 2 ohm speakers (if not boom) that I can add an amp to later....
If I add speakers other than boom will I still need this harness? The radio is HK stock.

I want to simply add 2 good 2 ohm speakers in the lowers with the capability of adding an amp at a later date. Already have Boom speakers in the fairing.

Assuming you will never go further than the amp and speakers: my suggestion would be to make the kit on your own and not mess with the Boom setup. You can buy the lower fairing speaker boxes and choose your own speakers. I'd buy the 35 pin connector, pins and two sets of pre-tinned male RCA cables (for a non-Harley amp). Have the dealer or someone with an Amp crimper attach pins to the tinned leads on the RCA cables and place those pins in the corresponding sockets in the 35 pin connector. Run the speaker wires into the fairing an terminate with female RCA plugs. Have an extra set of the same tinned male RCA cables around, if you are going to use a non-Harley amp. If you want a straight setup, simply plug the males coming from the 35 pin connector into the females you've attached to the speakers. For the non-Harley amp, run the RCA connectors from the 35 pin connector to the input of the amp, then connect the extra set of tinned males to the output of the amp and plug into the females for the speakers.

Either way, you'll need the flash for the rear speakers unless you tap into the front channels to power the lowers.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:36 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

you don't need to spend $100 on that harness. all it is is a pigtail that clips to existing speaker wires on the fairing speakers and runs down the crash bar to the lower pod.

get you a roll of 16ga speaker wire and some heat shrink. for less than $20 you can make your own.

Check out the Infinity speakers. Several here have installed them and like them. If you plan on adding an amp later on, I'd skip the 2 ohm speaker search, add a pair of Biketronics Titan II 6.5" down there. They're 4 ohm but they'll work fine for the time being but they like power so adding an amp will allow you to realize the potential of them speakers.

Originally Posted by longrides

Old 08-14-2013, 06:57 AM
KILRBUSA
Tourer

I have one of those 70169 harness if you need it $75 tyd.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:13 PM
longrides
Tourer
Default Thanks

Thank you! you just saved me some money to spend on speakers.... I guess I can run 2- 4 ohms in the lower fairing with the 2 ohms up top.... I can change or upgrade later. I'll check out biketronics, polk infiniti and others. I don't mind making up the connections.